Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

thereuare

Frozen Pizza

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Bland, @gfweb?

 

 

Not at all. I get the pepperoni ultra thin crust.  Some other varieties aren't as great and have a  bread-y crust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zimma said:

I haven’t eaten any really tasty frozen pizza yet! I think this is a real perversion - frozen pizza. Maybe because my grandmother was Italian)))

I think Chicago style translates much better to freezing.   Gino’s East, Giordano’s and Lou Malnadi’s are all pretty good and shipping out frozen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Our store bland at Acme

 

Sorry, @gfweb, the joke was on the prior page. I couldn't resist!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t much like the frozen pizzas in the grocery store. But I frequently order two large pizzas and put them in my freezer. I separate the slices with deli paper and bung them into a Ziploc bag. This way I can have a slice of pizza whenever I feel like it. I think it’s better after it’s been cooked a little longer than when it arrives here fresh.

  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I don’t much like the frozen pizzas in the grocery store. But I frequently order two large pizzas and put them in my freezer. I separate the slices with deli paper and bung them into a Ziploc bag. This way I can have a slice of pizza whenever I feel like it. I think it’s better after it’s been cooked a little longer than when it arrives here fresh.

Yes!  I agree.  We love pizza places that sell slices because they reheat the slice in the oven and it gets extra done.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember what article my wife sent me recently regarding frozen pizzas but she was amused/pleased at the ranking of one of the pizzas reviewed. For simple dinner fare we buy Red Baron Original Crust 4-Cheese frozen pizza, then add our own toppings including more cheese, Parmesan all over and on her half sharp cheddar. This particular brand was rated #2 in the article. My memory regarding the article was that it was a reputable source.

 

An unimportant detail. I'm a dyed in the wool carnivore. However, I prefer veggie pizzas topped with olives, mushrooms, onions, artichoke hearts, etc.

  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an ancient eGullet discussion concerning frozen pizza and I remember a lot of people liking the Freschetta brand.

 

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I can't remember what article my wife sent me recently regarding frozen pizzas but she was amused/pleased at the ranking of one of the pizzas reviewed. For simple dinner fare we buy Red Baron Original Crust 4-Cheese frozen pizza, then add our own toppings including more cheese, Parmesan all over and on her half sharp cheddar. This particular brand was rated #2 in the article. My memory regarding the article was that it was a reputable source.

 

An unimportant detail. I'm a dyed in the wool carnivore. However, I prefer veggie pizzas topped with olives, mushrooms, onions, artichoke hearts, etc.

I read the same article and about the Red Baron brand placing high on the list. It was a favorite of my niece's when my mom babysat her over the years.

  • Like 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2020 at 4:13 PM, Anna N said:

I don’t much like the frozen pizzas in the grocery store. But I frequently order two large pizzas and put them in my freezer. I separate the slices with deli paper and bung them into a Ziploc bag. This way I can have a slice of pizza whenever I feel like it. I think it’s better after it’s been cooked a little longer than when it arrives here fresh.

 

The pizza shop that I grew up on will indulge me by partially cooking and not cutting multiple pizzas. I take them home, wrap them well and pop them in the freezer. When I'm in the mood, I can cook them the rest of the way without worrying about overcooking.


Edited by dans (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Red Baron "deep dish" pepperoni pizza as well. Kind of salty, but what the hell.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2010 at 7:01 AM, gfweb said:

Home Run Inn pizza seems to me to be the best of the frozen lot. It isn't take-out pizza, but the sauce and cheese are not sucky and it crisps up nicely. Unfortunately its only available in the midwest and a few Harris Teeter stores in the South.

 

On today’s visit to Wally World, I saw some Home Run Inn pizza.  When I worked for Sears many years ago, we would head to Home Run Inn for Friday pizza.  I lived on the other side of town and always preferred pizza from one of the many neighborhood joints.

We’ve been buying “Wewalka” dough in the refrigerated aisle and making our own.

With a chance to make my own sauce and all the specific toppings we like, I prefer this 

to any frozen variety including HRI.

  • Like 2

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been enjoying bread baking recently (along with everybody else) and decided to make and freeze pan pizza crusts.

 

I pull one out of the freezer and set it back into the pan, add sauce - cheese- whatever else and into the toaster oven still frozen, 15 minutes later I have a pizza I really enjoy, the crusts are excellent. Almost the same amount of time it takes for frozen store bought (not counting the premade crust time).

 

I make a 90% hydration dough so it nearly pours into the pan (on parchment) and spreads out edge to edge nicely, then par bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then freeze. I make a couple at a time.

 

I think I'm done with store bought frozen pizza, there's no comparison and its almost as quick and easy on pizza day.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I always thought of frozen pizza as it's own separate entity.  They way soy milk is milk, frozen pizza is pizza.  Could you imagine a pizza parlor that actually sold something along the lines of elio's.  Don't get me wrong, I like to burn elio's or stouffers and cover with tabasco and salt, once or twice a year but, it's it's own thing.. I guess more accurately, the way a mcdonalds cheeseburger is a cheeseburger, frozen pizza is pizza.  Like when I crave a burger, I don't crave mcdonalds, but, when I crave mcdonalds, I am not craving a burger.. I am craving whatever chemical composition, the boys at the mcdonalds lab came up with.  

 

But, what is interesting is, in recent years, there is a new crop of frozen pizza companies that are actually just freezing well made pizza.. They are making restaurant quality pizza and vacuum sealing it..And no longer are they packaging the product in cardboard boxes and letting fancy graphics sell you, they are just leaving the pizza tightly packed in plastic ,leaving nothing to the imagination..  

 

Anyway, I love to freeze pizza, i make sure my freezer is well stocked with pizza from my favorite places. I simply heat them up in a skillet or in an oven and moments later,  i am enjoying a not frozen pizza, pizza. 

 

 

 

 


Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 2:03 AM, BKEats said:

I always thought of frozen pizza as it's own separate entity.  They way soy milk is milk, frozen pizza is pizza.  Could you imagine a pizza parlor that actually sold something along the lines of elio's.  Don't get me wrong, I like to burn elio's or stouffers and cover with tabasco and salt, once or twice a year but, it's it's own thing.. I guess more accurately, the way a mcdonalds cheeseburger is a cheeseburger, frozen pizza is pizza.  Like when I crave a burger, I don't crave mcdonalds, but, when I crave mcdonalds, I am not craving a burger.. I am craving whatever chemical composition, the boys at the mcdonalds lab came up with.  

 

But, what is interesting is, in recent years, there is a new crop of frozen pizza companies that are actually just freezing well made pizza.. They are making restaurant quality pizza and vacuum sealing it..And no longer are they packaging the product in cardboard boxes and letting fancy graphics sell you, they are just leaving the pizza tightly packed in plastic ,leaving nothing to the imagination..  

 

Anyway, I love to freeze pizza, i make sure my freezer is well stocked with pizza from my favorite places. I simply heat them up in a skillet or in an oven and moments later,  i am enjoying a not frozen pizza, pizza. 

 

 

In the past we have ordered an extra pizza, just to have in freezer.  

 

We sometimes do the stovetop pan reheat (if there's a driving rain outside)...but highly recommend reheating on a gas grill.  I preheat it to 425, lower the burners, place thawed slices in it, with cover down for 4-5 minutes.  Gets a great flavor from my seasoned grill.  And by "seasoned" I mean, rarely cleaned.  

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, gfweb said:

 

Our store bland at Acme, Signature Select, has pretty decent pizza, esp the ultra thin crust.

 

Thinking of it as flatbread is a good move.

 

I retract this comment. The recently reformulated it and now it really is bland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I’ve been buying Papa Murphy;s take ‘n  bake pizzas for years.  Sometimes I buy two and cache one in my freezer  {they hold surprisingly well).   If I could find a decent frozen brand I’d be happy to save a trip all the way into town to get to PM’s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New packaging alert for the Red Baron deep dish singles pizza. Used to be packaged in a long / tall box with two pizzas, side-by-side. Now comes in a square box, two pizzas stacked like poker chips. I actually stopped buying this product b/c I thought they were selling the "singles" one per box. However, there are actually two in there. Same great product (pepperoni), IMO.

 

IMG_0715.thumb.jpeg.b9e99dc5fac23cfce0210ed17f16f13c.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone tried DiGiorno Croissant Crust pizza? I think it's fairly new.  I've looked for it a couple of times but haven't found any yet. I usually prefer very thin crust for frozen pizzas,  but I want to give the croissant crust a try.
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a couple of the croissant pizzas (pepperoni and 3-meat.)  I've had half of the pepperoni.  I usually break frozen pizzas in half and only cook half--wondering if anyone else does that.  Anyway, the croissant crust is very different.  I've never had a pizza like it, but it's not bad, something I'd probably buy again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...