• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indoor pizza ovens

lindag

Having very much enjoyed our low cost very basic pizza oven  (highly recommended for those with limited budget or space):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferrari-G10006-Delizia-Pizza-Oven/dp/B002VA4CDI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=387KNIJRJHMRY&keywords=g3+ferrari+pizza+oven&qid=1701096690&sprefix=G3+f%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.23648568-4ba5-49f2-9aa6-31ae75f1e9cd

We decided that after 10 years it was time to move on, especially with Ooni launching a model that can be used in the kitchen.  Our climate really doesn’t suit outdoor cooking, we didn’t light the barbecue once this year (that said, last year was entirely different with long spells of extreme heat).  In the end we invested in the Breville Pizzaola and the results are just amazing.  It took a while to master the technique of transferring from peel to oven, we had a few odd shaped pizzas in the early days, otherwise the results are just stunning.  

So far we have only made basic, Neapolitan style pizzas.  Very much looking forward to trying other things including focaccia and pan baked pizza. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I got one of these for Christmas.  The stone is made of granite, I see some people have a similar one.  I read some reviews that said the pizza dough stuck like crazy to the stone.  Any suggestions for how to prevent this without using so much flour it could possibly start a fire?  Could you use parchment paper to place the pizza on the stone then slide the parchment from underneath the pizza once the dough has set, possibly after a few seconds?  Given the high temperature, will this cause a fire?

20231228_114923.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added picture (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a small piece of dough in the freezer left from making buns earlier this week so decided to bake it up.  Oven was at 800F.  I had floured the peel. Getting the dough off the peel and onto the stone was a bugger.  Finally, I just plopped it on there.  3 minutes later it was done.  It just had pizza sauce and some mozzarella cheese on it.  Parts of it burned, too close to the heating element, I guess.  But, the crust was wonderful. I think it's going to take a time or 10 to get the hang of it.  I'm re-thinking the parchment paper bit.  It works fine in my regular oven on the baking steel but not too sure what it will do at 800F.

• Like 2

My first pizza attempt using the pizza oven.  My takeaways:  I need to practice my shaping skills, I used too much cheese, follow the baking instructions as opposed to "winging it" don't use so much cornmeal under the crust.  Other that that, we were really happy with the crunchy, nicely baked crust.

20231229_184850.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, ElsieD said:

My first pizza attempt using the pizza oven.  My takeaways:  I need to practice my shaping skills, I used too much cheese, follow the baking instructions as opposed to "winging it" don't use so much cornmeal under the crust.  Other that that, we were really happy with the crunchy, nicely baked crust.

20231229_184850.jpg

Nice looking pizza.

I was tempted to buy that appliance (rather than use the propane BBQ during the winter taking forever to get to heat and using up a lot of propane).

My big concern was if the stone is replaceable if it cracks. The company had no info on replacement stones on their website.

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

3 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

My big concern was if the stone is replaceable if it cracks. The company had no info on replacement stones on their website.

Good question.  I just wrote to them and asked them.  I'll let you know what they say.  I suppose one could replace it with a custom cut baking steel.

• Thanks 1

Tried calzones tonight.  I need to roll my dough thinner as they got singed a bit on top.  They sure were good though.  They were filled with pizza sauce, ricotta, mozzarella and pepperoni.  The tops were brushed with oil and sprinkled with parmesan.  Baked for 4 minutes @600F.

20231231_180521.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 3

• 3 months later...

Hi to all from Melbourne Australia...new member here & happy to share & explore tips & stories. I've had the Breville Pizzaiolo since its release, so I'm guessing around 7 years. I love this machine & I have learned a lot over those 7 odd years about making pizza dough & best settings I have found for this unit. So I thought I'd put up a couple of pics & take it from there. Dough making I really liked playing with in the aerly stages & have now settled on a yeast dough made by the 'poolish' method...it's simple, does take a couple of days so some planning is required, but results are rock solid every time. Pizzaiolo settings are pretty much settled on & I use the manual control not the presets. I find I have more control on crust v filling temps & cook times. So some pics...

...blue cheese, musroom & sweet caramelised onion. Agreed sounds a bit weird & it's not often made, but it's great taste & fun pizza (for a change)

image.thumb.jpeg.9f4a139f7c96202a74e363ec0761ce41.jpeg

A little more traditional. Tomato paste base (I make my own but shop bought is OK) mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, sundried tomato, fire roasted pepper strips, some basil pesto (blobs of) katamala olives & some greek fetta cheese. This is nice & more traditional toppings.

image.thumb.jpeg.dde529602757a28618a9b5287939ddb6.jpeg

This is a nice breafast / brunch (or anytime pizza) ...I use a slightly sweet BBQ sauce on the base, small amount of grated mozzeralla, fresh bacon & about 3 eggs on this one. Make sure the peel is well floured (I use rice flour for the peel...much better than regular) as you dont want this to stick with 3 uncooked eggs making a mess every where. I haven't as yet !!

image.thumb.jpeg.8fe9a2e116b467b74315445d1fe8fcff.jpeg

Anyway happy to chat & share my knowledge about everything pizza...(or anything else to do with cooking.)

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

On 12/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, ElsieD said:

I had a small piece of dough in the freezer left from making buns earlier this week so decided to bake it up.  Oven was at 800F.  I had floured the peel. Getting the dough off the peel and onto the stone was a bugger.  Finally, I just plopped it on there.  3 minutes later it was done.  It just had pizza sauce and some mozzarella cheese on it.  Parts of it burned, too close to the heating element, I guess.  But, the crust was wonderful. I think it's going to take a time or 10 to get the hang of it.  I'm re-thinking the parchment paper bit.  It works fine in my regular oven on the baking steel but not too sure what it will do at 800F.

Hi ElsieD...I have found parchment papper is fine 'as long' as you trim the excess of papper from around the pizza base (so no papper is exposed) You should not have any problems. If you want to continue flouring the peel try Rice flour...also I found the metal peel supplied with the Pizzaiola is difficult for launching but good for retreiving at the end of cooking. I purchased a similar sized thicker wooden peel...much better result when floured or used with the parchment / baking papper trick.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 2:31 AM, ElsieD said:

20231229_184850.jpg

Looks good...bet it was a nice snack 

• Like 2