• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker

ElsieD

Who's buying one of these?

From NYT Wirecutter:  Simple, (almost) instant smoking

A GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker.
Photo: GE

GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker, available now, $1,000

At CES I saw more grills, smokers, and meat thermometers than in my local Home Depot, but the standout was the countertop GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker.

Smoking adds distinct flavor to all kinds of foods, but it’s typically done over lower temperatures for long hours, requiring the cook to camp out in the backyard by a hot black metal bin to feed the fire and actively manage the smoke and the temperature. To do it well, in other words, you need passion, time, and skill.

If the GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker works as billed—the company says you can set it to specific recipes and let it do the work, or you can independently control the heat or smoke level—it can effectively turn smoking into a readily accessible cooking technique for anyone who wants it, just like air frying or sous vide. Imagine popping a few eggplants into a microwave-sized appliance to make killer homemade baba ghanouj on a weeknight, or smoking your own spice blends or chiles whenever the mood strikes.

I got a sneak peek at this cooker late last year on a research trip to the GE Appliances manufacturing plant in Louisville, Kentucky, where I got to sample some perfectly prepared wings hot out of the box—tender, smoky, sweet, and moist.

A few more important details: The smoker uses the same pellets as traditional pellet smokers do. It fits 40 wings, a brisket cut in half, or a whole chicken, and it has the same technology to keep the smoke safely inside the appliance and out of your home as the hearth oven made by Monogram, GE Appliances’s luxury brand.

—Rachel Wharton, senior staff writerm
Edited by ElsieD
Edited source (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Who's buying one of these?

From NYT Wirecutter:  Simple, (almost) instant smoking

A GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker.
Photo: GE

GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker, available now, $1,000

At CES I saw more grills, smokers, and meat thermometers than in my local Home Depot, but the standout was the countertop GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker.

Smoking adds distinct flavor to all kinds of foods, but it’s typically done over lower temperatures for long hours, requiring the cook to camp out in the backyard by a hot black metal bin to feed the fire and actively manage the smoke and the temperature. To do it well, in other words, you need passion, time, and skill.

If the GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker works as billed—the company says you can set it to specific recipes and let it do the work, or you can independently control the heat or smoke level—it can effectively turn smoking into a readily accessible cooking technique for anyone who wants it, just like air frying or sous vide. Imagine popping a few eggplants into a microwave-sized appliance to make killer homemade baba ghanouj on a weeknight, or smoking your own spice blends or chiles whenever the mood strikes.

I got a sneak peek at this cooker late last year on a research trip to the GE Appliances manufacturing plant in Louisville, Kentucky, where I got to sample some perfectly prepared wings hot out of the box—tender, smoky, sweet, and moist.

A few more important details: The smoker uses the same pellets as traditional pellet smokers do. It fits 40 wings, a brisket cut in half, or a whole chicken, and it has the same technology to keep the smoke safely inside the appliance and out of your home as the hearth oven made by Monogram, GE Appliances’s luxury brand.

—Rachel Wharton, senior staff writerm

I would if I had $1000.

The GE smoker is about the same size and cost as my Anova APO.  If I had to choose but one, it would have to be the APO.  No contest.  However that new GE Smoker sure looks nice.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's getting good reviews on Reddit so far from the people who crowdfunded it, but now it's available from Amazon, Lowe's, Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel...

www.reddit.com/r/IndoorBBQSmoking/

I'll probably wait 6+ months and see how reliable it is, but so far it looks very good.  In hindsight, I wish I had got it for $550 on Indigogo, although I never do crowdfunding (most interesting crowdfunded food tech seems to flop and never get delivered).

Only problem is that it would fight my Anova oven for countertop space.  But maybe put it on a cart in the connected garage (although smells don't really seem to be an issue).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I would if I had $1000.

The GE smoker is about the same size and cost as my Anova APO.  If I had to choose but one, it would have to be the APO.  No contest.  However that new GE Smoker sure looks nice.

You could fit one more in the bathroom, I think.

• Haha 4

How does NO smoke escape into the home?

Anyway, as @btbyrd would probably agree (and since he has an outside setup and doesn't have to worry about smoking inside):

image.thumb.png.43d97505efa8bd6e842d8079a0659bd4.png

Ibushi Gin

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

You could fit one more in the bathroom, I think.

Last time I cooked in the bathroom I tripped a circuit breaker.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For those who can spend $1,082.67 (+tax) to smoke food, they all have big kitchens with lots of counter space.

For poor me, I have been smoking many years with 2 smoke tubes I bought for $7.99 each. I spliced two together to get 12 hours of smoke :-).

What would it involve if something goes wrong to have the thing repaired?

Stupid. Throw it away and buy another one.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How does one clean this device? (BBQ sauce drips?)

I have an Anova Oven which does NOT have any self-clean option which I think is a REAL DRAWBACK.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, TdeV said:

How does one clean this device? (BBQ sauce drips?)

I have an Anova Oven which does NOT have any self-clean option which I think is a REAL DRAWBACK.

From reports, it is pretty easy to clean.  All the racks and holders can be removed and put in the dishwasher.  Then soap & water and a scrubber pad on the interior.

There is a drip tray in the bottom and they sell fitted tin foil pans that fit in it (or just use aluminum foil).

Seems like a very well thought out device.

Meathead posted that he's getting one to review.

Edited by BostonBestEats (log)
  • Like 3

an indoor Yoder !

Ill have to lookout the inside measurements

will art hold two decent sized chickens , 

each on its own rack ? , one over the other ?

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

an indoor Yoder !

Ill have to lookout the inside measurements

will art hold two decent sized chickens , 

each on its own rack ? , one over the other ?

You need  this, @rotuts

• Haha 3

On 1/18/2024 at 10:55 AM, rotuts said:

user manual is here :

https://pdf.lowes.com/productdocuments/ddcf5f47-0811-4300-a680-137b9e7d1531/64444844.pdf

will be looking this over .

I haven't found the temperature ranges for the unit.

Id like to know them minimal temp , and the max.

if you spot this somewhere 

pleas post.

I asked GE and they said:

"The temperature range will be between 150-300 while the Keep Warm temperature can be adjusted between 140 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit."  So I guess cold smoking salmon is out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I asked GE and they said:

"The temperature range will be between 150-300 while the Keep Warm temperature can be adjusted between 140 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit."  So I guess cold smoking salmon is out.

that's a pretty high "keep warm"

• Like 1

@ElsieD

thanks for those nu embers

aside from the true low and slow grill // pellet grill  

which might be very real , much longer times than in the vid

what you won't be able to do , is roast a chicken, at the temps for a crispy skin

but Ive never done one on 300 F , for several hours .  3 or more ?

might be fantastic , smokey , tender , moist ?

• Like 2

140 F seems fine for keeping something warm you've smoked 

for some time.  keeping humidity in mind

those small smokers w the tube as mentioned

work fine for a final smoking 

bu the  plastic tube and the connection to it is narrow

nd will vlog up w are at some point

and are not that easy to clean

per several reviews 

PS  those tube smokers can  be cleaned ,

get the same size tubing at home depot

cut your chosen length , then toss out when clogged.

try but a yard or two , right

and its cheap at Home Depot

pipe cleaners also helpful

Edited by rotuts (log)

1 hour ago, Laurentius said:

Is a real smoker outside not a possibility for you?

If you're only after the smoke flavor, and you need to stay inside, you might like saving $900 and buying the Breville Smoking Gun.  https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BSM600SILUSC-Smoking-Smoker-Silver/dp/B072RCDQJS

I'm in a condo.  When we had our house, I had smoking gear.  Here, I am limited to the Breville smoking gun and I have  2 Cameron stove-top smokers, different sizes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm in a condo.

I think if you don't have a deck, and/or either code or CC&Rs prohibit all smokers, you're stuck, sorry.  In a condo situation, all it takes is one neighbor or passerby to smell smoke, and you're hosed.

Could you use a Little Chief?  I've had some excellent smoked meats out of these low-tech electric units.

14 hours ago, Laurentius said:

I think if you don't have a deck, and/or either code or CC&Rs prohibit all smokers, you're stuck, sorry.  In a condo situation, all it takes is one neighbor or passerby to smell smoke, and you're hosed.

Could you use a Little Chief?  I've had some excellent smoked meats out of these low-tech electric units.

No, I can't use anything like that on our balcony.