• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker

ElsieD

CR*P !

its almost free now :

https://www.wsj.com/buyside/home/ge-profile-smart-indoor-smoker-review-f06b5243?mod=wsj_hp_buyside_pos2

'''''''   I’m someone who loves spending hours at a time on cooking projects, but as an apartment dweller, my options are limited to what I can do inside my four walls. That means low-and-slow barbecuing has always been out of the picture. That’s why I was so intrigued when GE Profile introduced its Smart Indoor Smoker, promising the benefits of a smoker in a box that fits on my countertop, and pleasantly surprised by its performance. And while the $1,000 price tag isn’t for everyone, the $300 Super Bowl-timed discount makes it a more intriguing purchase.   '''

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Filtration-Precision-Connected-Countertop/dp/B0CGXY9N5F?&linkCode=ll1&tag=wsj09-20&linkId=459b6645aa751a9ca558ba06e3016554&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&asc_refurl=https://www.wsj.com/buyside/home/ge-profile-smart-indoor-smoker-review-f06b5243

not many takers @ $  1,000  ?

On 1/26/2024 at 7:49 AM, ElsieD said:

No, I can't use anything like that on our balcony.

That's unfortunate.

This isn't a neener, but if something like the Smoking Gun isn't a viable option, liquid smoke isn't completely worthless.  

You can do a credible Kailua pork without an earth oven...

• Like 2

@rotuts we took advantage of the current $300 discount and bought the GE Profile indoor smoker last week. We LOVE it. It arrived on Friday, and on Saturday we smoked three racks of ribs. They were excellent. We temporarily set up the smoker on a cart in the kitchen (eventually it will live on its own dedicated cart in the laundry/utility room). Having it in the kitchen turned out to be a terrific test because we were so close to it the whole time and were able to observe that (1) it is incredibly quiet, and (2) no smoke or other fumes escape it. The smoke clearing function (for when you need to open the door during the cook) is really amazing. 

The ribs were fantastic. Great smoke flavor, wonderful bark, deliciously succulent. We're planning to do a brisket next.

Oh, and cleaning the thing is a piece of cake. We have a nice smoker out on our deck (although granted, it's a challenge to use during a Minnesota winter) and I was on the fence about geting another one for indoors. My husband persevered in talking me into it and I'm really glad he did. He normally does all the smoking, but now I'm motivated to do some interesting things myself.

Have I convinced you yet? You know you need one.... 😎😋

Edited by Elle Bee
Typo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Laurie Bergren

"Here let us feast, and to the feast be join'd discourse, the sweeter banquet of the mind." Pope's Homer

@Elle Bee

Pleased to see you have the unit and are enjoying it.

Im very tempted.  maybe the sale will end and I can move on ?

would you add more details on your Rx for those ribs ?

times , eps and of course , my favorite some pics ?

interested in your brisket pan :  time and temps.

Im pleased you are enjoying it , and that it seems well made and living up to its expectations.

please keep us informed of your cooks.

P.S.:  @Elle Bee

get your pellets in a large bag , at a BBQ store  a 20 lb bag

or for instance

MacLean's Authentic Apple Wood Smoking Pellets, 5 Pound Bag (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

etc

• Like 2

@rotuts I'll ask Rick about his Rx for the ribs (my main function is just to wrap them when the time comes). Next time I'll take pictures before we devour them, and  I'll start documenting future cooks so I can report on them here. 

We ordered an Elfa rolling "kitchen cart" from The Container Store to keep the smoker on (with drawers for holding all the related "stuff ," which is GREAT because my best beloved—God bless him—has all the organizational aptitude of a pack of deranged ferrets 😂). I think it's going to work out really well. Should be here later this week. Once I get it all put together I'll share pics of that as well. 

As for pellets, this magically appeared in the house after Rick went to Costco the other day:

IMG_2745.thumb.jpeg.8a5ae50c5ea4012d7abfd8f14d85399b.jpeg

40 pounds! Normally $21, on sale at our local warehouse for $16. Now I need to figure out where to put it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Laurie Bergren

"Here let us feast, and to the feast be join'd discourse, the sweeter banquet of the mind." Pope's Homer

@Elle Bee

looks like you have several life time's worth of pellets 

can't hurt 

should you get the chance , will you take a pic of the inside chamber 

so I can get an idea of its size , maybe w a measured reference ?

if you cut the back off a regular sized whole chicken , then cut the roast in 1/2

would you be able to cook the halves on two racks , one over the other  w the water drip

pan then below it ?     any idea what a 300 f w smoke chicken tastes like ?

Im trying to get the sense of the vote of the cooking space

w the water on the lowest rack .

also , the heat characteristics :

can this be places on a counter w 1/3d of the unit under counters ?

if the heat comes out the back , maybe that's a no no .

drooling I am 

• Like 1

I called GE

the person I spoke to found no information about placement 

ie  3 to 4 inches under  cabinets

all the pictures they had were the unit free standing on a counter w no over hanging caboinets

rats , sort of    

but just saved $ 700  + tax !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@rotuts I'm just starting to make a ganache for some truffles, but will definitely take some detail pictures of the smoker when I get it set up on the cart. And will also give some thought to the chicken question for those who want to know. (Sounds like you've made the decision not to pursue getting one after your convo with GE, but I assume there are others who may be interested.)

I do not think this is a good candidate for operating without a reasonable generous amount of clearance around the top, back, and sides. It gets VERY hot. GE recommends 4 inches—personally, I'd be inclined to give it even more. We knew that the surfaces would be quite hot, and decided to go for it anyway because of our decision to keep it on a cart that can be moved around. In fact, the eating area in our kitchen is situated between a wall of windows and an unheated screen porch and it has occurred to me that the smoker would be great to use over near those windows on some of our more frigid Minnesota winter days because it generates so much heat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Laurie Bergren

@rotuts it just occurred to me to share this... the guy who developed the GE Profile Indoor Smoker (it was initially a Kickstarter project) has a YouTube channel where he demonstrates all kinds of things about the smoker and does various cooks in it. He's really good about answering questions and may be able to shed more light on the cabinet clearance issue as well as other information. Here's a link to the whole playlist.

Don't stop drooling yet. The sale is still going.... 😁

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Laurie Bergren

@rotuts yeah I totally get that. I'm pretty risk averse myself.

• Like 1

Laurie Bergren

@Elle Bee - Where does the smoke go? Are there aggressive air filters that must be changed regularly? I'm probably not in the market either, but the idea of something like this that could be used inside, during a Minnesota winter, is pretty darned interesting.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@Elle Bee - Where does the smoke go? Are there aggressive air filters that must be changed regularly? I'm probably not in the market either, but the idea of something like this that could be used inside, during a Minnesota winter, is pretty darned interesting.

There are no filters. It uses some special kind of witchcraft that GE calls "Active Smoke Filtration" via a "highly engineered catalyst system" to disappear the smoke. I have no idea what those terms actually mean, although I imagine it working in a manner analogous to a catalytic converter system for vehicle exhaust. What I do know is that the smoker's "Clear Smoke" function (which you use any time you want to open open the door during the cook) works absolutely flawlessly.

My kitchen passions are baking and confectionery. I've always loved eating smoked food, but have never had the slightest interest in making the smoked food. Until now. Seriously, if someone had told me before we got this thing that I would develop an obsession with using a smoker, I would have laughed in their face. And now... here we are... and I'm like some kind of evangelist. 

Here's a review with lots of good pictures showing how much it can hold. And that YouTube playlist I linked to in an earlier reply to rotuts is worth looking at—lots of great detailed information in there, including a video showing how easy it is to clean.

This Minnesotan is delighted with it. Now if we could just get some snow my winter life would be complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Laurie Bergren

It must be said that for someone who posts relatively little, you have the whole "eG enabler" thing down cold. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I wonder if the smoke clearing power would let it function in a lawyered-up condo?  Or maybe put it on a balcony where what little smoke there is would be carried away.  Who would know?

A good test might be seeing if it set off an ion detecting smoke detector.  Our (hideous) gas fireplace triggered one.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I wonder if the smoke clearing power would let it function in a lawyered-up condo?  Or maybe put it on a balcony where what little smoke there is would be carried away.  Who would know?

A good test might be seeing if it set off an ion detecting smoke detector.  Our (hideous) gas fireplace triggered one.

Well now I've gone down the rabbit hole of learning the difference between photoelectric and ionizing smoke detectors (mission accomplished) and trying to figure out what kinds of smoke detectors we actually have (not sure, guessing it's a mix, wishing it would just be printed somewhere on the outside of the case because now I'll obsess about it until I actually climb up there and look inside a couple of them 🙄). There's a reasonably accessible one down the hall from our kitchen—someone who shall remain nameless has managed to set it off more than once while searing steaks in butter despite having a powerful range hood running on high—I'll go get the ladder and check it out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Laurie Bergren

@gfweb just checked, and it is a combination ionization and CO2 detector. This one, specifically. Thanks for causing me to think about this—we have a number of older smoke detectors around the house and now it occurs to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to do an inventory and determine whether they should be replaced with newer models.

• Like 3

Laurie Bergren

something Ive noted

after viewing the RB vid above :

did they really need to reverse sear the RB for 10 minutes ?

it looked fine before

and the cooking was uneven:  one end was medium rare

and the other was well.

in the turkey video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W53rsHKSVw8&list=PLSb0TS3jSjEYTfniGFkPPDtmqnQ3Pk7Jx&index=1

it was mentioned that one end ( back ? ) of the unit is 

hotter than the other ( front ? )

so for something expensive like RB 

turn the roast 1/2 way through ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

it was mentioned that one end ( back ? ) of the unit is 

hotter than the other ( front ? )

so for something expensive like RB 

turn the roast 1/2 way through ?

Yep, that's true. The back is hotter than the front, since that's where the heating unit is, and also presumably loses less heat than the front when you open the door, especially if it's pretty full. They do recommend turning everything halfway through. We did this with the three racks of ribs we smoked. Reversed them from back to front, and also from top to bottom (we left the ones on the middle rack in the middle, but did switch the front/back position). 

EDITED TO ADD:  I can't speak to the cooking decisions in the videos since I'm a candy maker who doesn't really know anything about actually smoking stuff. Yet. 😁

Edited by Elle Bee (log)
  • Like 3

Laurie Bergren