• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What has participating on eGullet changed re: your eating or cooking habits?

BeeZee

Obviously I see a lot of "enabler" posts where someone decides to purchase some piece of equipment, but has eGullet changed how you approach eating also?

Cooking-wise, I think it has broadened my thought process about flavor profiles (what flavors go together well).

I started eating more savory foods for breakfast (ex: grain salads that I would normally have for lunch) after seeing people eating what many would consider "non-traditional" breakfasts in North America.

In the U.S., it still leans to eggs/cereal/pastries as opposed to countries in Asia, which may have savory congee, dals, or fish.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

We started eating the gochujang buttered noodles because it got mentioned here, and now it's part of the regular rotation and we have it at least twice a week!  I also started using gochujang in other things as well as black vinegar, and sriracha based on mentions here; I started making popsicles after being inspired by @bluedolphin.  I'm also eating more savory foods for breakfast, like you - coarse bulgur with miso and spinach is a favorite no matter what time of day it is.  I would consider myself an adventurous diner, but being with all of you has inspired me beyond just what cookbook or magazine I happened upon.  Plus, even though I don't know many of you "in real life" I trust your judgement because I've "known" you for so long :)

ETA; I apparently can't spell dolphin correctly on the first try

Edited by JeanneCake (log)
  • Like 5

Been here a long time.  Eating evolves through shopping habits and age.

But here's my list off the top of my head.

Cooking with what's in my pantry first.  I think it was framed by the early Pantry challenges.

Oh and, Sous Vide, for everything, including desserts and infusing alcohol.

related to Sous Vide is the vacuum chamber.  Not used consistently, but it makes my food prep go quicker for future meals.

@Shelby inspired food preservation interest for me also.  

@andiesenji inspired a lot of global and classic ingredients, starting with black pepper,  I have like 8 pepper grinders on my counter.

• Like 4