• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

It's called "Soup Tulang" the Asian version of Osso Bucco.

You take a beef shank...well lots of shanks and boil them in a red hot gravy for god knows how long.

You take it out, gnaw the meat off the bones and the knock the marrow out and eat that on bread.

souptulang.jpg

Here's a Link

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Haribo Gummi Bears (the kind in the gold bag), left open on the counter overnight, so they get good and hard. I hate super soft gummi bears.

dry cheerios straight from the box

wheat thins. wheat thins with american cheese slices.

cheese popcorn. I've been able to satiate the cravings with the more acceptable 'smartfood' cheese popcorn, but sometimes I just crave the MSG in Wise Food's 'atomic orange' cheese popcorn.

Wendys fries, salted to oblivion, then dipped in a frosty. Damn, but that's sooooo gooooood.

Old school Kraft mac 'n cheese with franks hot sauce. Maybe a hebrew national cut up in there as well, if I'm feeling extra trashy.

My dad requires a certain congealed salad made from green jello, cottage cheese, nuts, pineapple, canned pimientos and miracle whip.

How did a self-proclaimed food snob end up in such a family?  :blink:

oh sweet jeebus, my dad likes a very similar thing. I just don't understand.

I have asked myself the same question, btw.

Ok, I admit it. I really, really like Head Cheese. I also love pickled hot sausages and pickled pigs feet. But my favorite cold cut is Olive Loaf!

My Mom told me that when I was about 4-5 years old, we were in a supermarket and I (normally well-behaved) made a bit of a fuss until she bought a jar of pickled pigs feet.

I ate the whole darn thing.

It's called "Soup Tulang" the Asian version of Osso Bucco.

You take a beef shank...well lots of shanks and boil them in a red hot gravy for god knows how long.

You take it out, gnaw the meat off the bones and the knock the marrow out and eat that on bread.

souptulang.jpg

Here's a Link

This is undoubtedly yummy! Who gives you crap about it? :raz:

I'm going to share this one with the world - For me it's a kind of coming out! I think I may be the only consumer on the planet... maybe, but I urge you to try.

Peanut butter, a little oil (to thin the nut butter), curry powder - all mixed with sauerkraut. I eat will an entire pound of sauerkraut in one hit this way

Edited by fatmat (log)

cheese popcorn.  I've been able to satiate the cravings with the more acceptable 'smartfood' cheese popcorn, but sometimes I just crave the MSG in Wise Food's 'atomic orange' cheese popcorn.

Now we're in the neighborhood of my own favorite piece o'crap guilty pleasure: Cheese puffs. Baked, not fried--the ones all puffed up with air.

Almost any brand will do, but tops on my list is Herr's Hot Cheese Curls.

But while we're on the subject of cheese popcorn: I discovered something at a Cabot Cheese tasting event recently that I am going to have to pester my local supermarket to carry--Cabot Cheddar Shake.

That's right, folks--powdered cheddar cheese in a shaker jar! (Actually, it's the genuine article, finely grated, like Kraft or 4C Parmesan.) Now all I have to do is make some popcorn -- the old-fashioned way, on top of the stove -- shake this stuff all over it, and I'm in heaven.

Oh, one more thing: anybody else here like to scarf down cottage cheese with hot sauce? (The milder cayenne sauces like Frank's RedHot work best, IMO.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm going to share this one with the world - For me it's a kind of coming out! I think I may be the only consumer on the planet... maybe, but I urge you to try.

Peanut butter, a little oil (to thin the nut butter), curry powder - all mixed with sauerkraut. I eat will an entire pound of sauerkraut in one hit this way

Fatmat, this new format confuses me and I am not sure I doing this right.

But I will eat almost anything with peanut butter. And usually add a bit of Worcestershire sauce to it.

Never thought of your combo, but it sounds like it might work.

Will give it a try. Thanks.

Edited by auntdot (log)

Oh my gosh! You people are my soulmates!!!!

My first answer is absolutely SLIM JIMS!!!! Can't get enough of 'em!

Spaghettios w/ Meatballs

Big Macs

anchovies

Buffalo wings

Frank's Hot sauce (on anything)

Crispy skin off of a roast chicken

Salty fatty crust on a standing rib roast

beef marrow from Osso Buco

Stale Peeps

Stale pretzel rods

YUM!!!!

To eat good food is to be close to God." -Big Night

On a chicken: "The part that goes over the fence last," as my dad calls it. AKA the tuchas. In my family, there's a fight for it whenever a whole chicken comes out of the oven!

Chicken/turkey wings. I'm the one who actually buys packages of turkey wings, btw.

Vienna Fingers.

Lime flavored Tostitos.

If I have an open bag of either of those last two in my house, they call me--from inside the cabinet! "Heloooo...we're in here..." If the package remains unopened, I'm fine.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

wings, oh gawd, wings.

there's a chain here called Atomic Wings. The guys who run the one on 12th and 1st ave now know my voice, and my exact order:

single order w/suicidal hot sauce,

extra ranch dressing

salad w/goat cheese and walnuts.

My favorite hangover breakfast is a bag of honey roasted peanuts and a coke. That tends to get weird stares at the office.

BUT I DO hear about my 'gross' vegemite fetish: traditionally served on thickly-buttered toast, just a scraping of it; and most people still think it's foul.

I love it smeared on the crusts of my bread and will even eat it with a spoon straight from the jar!

It's so salty, and almost 'meaty' in a way (although Promite and Marmite are far more like that). Vegemite on toast with a banana sliced over it.

Hey! don't knock it 'til you ty it!

There is nothing wrong with vegemite, although the banana is a new combo for me. I may just have to try that.

On a chicken: "The part that goes over the fence last," as my dad calls it.  AKA the tuchas.  In my family, there's a fight for it whenever a whole chicken comes out of the oven!

My dad used to call it the "rondelet"

Pretty gross Curlz...there's plenty of good chicken to not have to eat the ass... :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 3 weeks later...

Grilled CheeseFood Sandwichs dipped in ketchup

Boiled hotdogs topped with chunky bleu cheese dressing

Wendy's Bacon Double Cheeseburgers (hold the tomato - it's a texture issue I love the taste of tomato)

and perhaps most disturbingly ..................... Peanut Butter and mayonaisse on toast.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

To me, totinos party pizza is a terrible pizza.....but it is an outstanding cracker. I hate picking one up late at night at the corner store. Someone I know always walks in. It is like buying condoms and having the clerk page for a price check.

Little Debbies rock. The pastries for a morning duck hunt. The nutty bars for afternoon. The cakes for dessert in camp. This is typicaly a road-trip or hunting food. Most of them are a quarter. You can fill the glove box for a couple bucks.

This may be ever so slightly off-topic, but I confess that I enjoy watching Emeril sometimes, depending on what he's making. And Rachel Ray. Depending on what she's making. When I don't enjoy, I watch anyway because I'm addicted to FN, and the addiction just keeps getting worse.

Campbell's chicken noodle soup with Parmesan Goldfish crackers (LOTS of them)

good sodium high......I don't eat the 'chicken' pieces however

Just yesterday I went into a trance and drove through the McDonald's and got a double

cheeseburger (take off all the onion junk, pickle and mustard and slather it with ketchup

with a small order of fries and a bottle of Perrier. I only eat McDonald's in the car

when I do which isn't often but I love that combo, heaven for only $2.08 cents.

Spam musubi only the top half (nori/spam slice and 1/2 the rice) throw away the

rest "to save on the calories........" uh-huh.........

oh, more Campbell's - Tomato soup with TONS of Cheddar Goldfish crackers like an

entire layer covering the bowl.....I save here by using the low sodium crackers and

have to plan this treat and actually have milk in the house.

A hui ho it is a cool winter day here, maybe a trip to the store for some milk..... :laugh:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004