• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Not Pork chile verde.

(Protein is mountain lion)

Chile verde is from a Hank Shaw recipe and is the best version of chile verde I've made.  

20240415_193534.jpg

• Like 9

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

35 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

Not Pork chile verde.

(Protein is mountain lion)

Chile verde is from a Hank Shaw recipe and is the best version of chile verde I've made.  

20240415_193534.jpg

I love Hank Shaw's website and tips, and this looks good. I'm surprised, though, at mountain lion! I had some idea that apex predators weren't generally good to eat. Am I wrong about that?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I had some idea that apex predators weren't generally good to eat. Am I wrong about that?

I had the same notion before we started looking harder at them. We try very hard to eat what we hunt and this lion was not on the exception list! Mountain lion is highly regarded as some of the best game one can eat. The one thing one to be aware of is that they (and bears) are known for carrying Trich so handling of raw meat and cooking to temp is important. 

Fwiw, the texture is very similar to pork, the odor when raw is not unpleasant, no gamey odor. (The animal itself stinks!)

We also eat black bear and it's delicious as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

I had some idea that apex predators weren't generally good to eat. Am I wrong about that?

Longpigs. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, YvetteMT said:

I had the same notion before we started looking harder at them. We try very hard to eat what we hunt and this lion was not on the exception list! Mountain lion is highly regarded as some of the best game one can eat. The one thing one to be aware of is that they (and bears) are known for carrying Trich so handling of raw meat and cooking to temp is important. 

Fwiw, the texture is very similar to pork, the odor when raw is not unpleasant, no gamey odor. (The animal itself stinks!)

We also eat black bear and it's delicious as well.

Fascinating. I'd never have thought to eat either bear or lion. To be fair I'll probably go to my grave never having eaten either. Interesting to know, though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Fascinating. I'd never have thought to eat either bear or lion. To be fair I'll probably go to my grave never having eaten either. Interesting to know, though.

I’ve eaten black bear before and thought it quite good. I’d assumed that bears, being omnivores, wouldn’t fall into the same category as mountain lion, which as far as I know is an obligate carnivore. I’ve learned something today.

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

PXL_20240416_192934784.MP3.thumb.jpg.e1275f89a1386aefd967c3c26a097505.jpg

Fish pie. I made too much of the white sauce, so I made a central well in the pie to let it bubble up rather than boil over the sides.

PXL_20240416_1934480062.thumb.jpg.e931e16945f468b08be4e1bedfaa891a.jpg

I mixed some of the excess sauce into the mash after some thought. Butter, flour, milk, cream, nutmeg, bay leaf, a handy bit of ground pepper and a pinch of salt... actually works great in mash!

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

53 minutes ago, rotuts said:

well , it dies bring up a point 

do we , humans , eat carnivore ?

it seems so :

aa.thumb.jpg.f86e129c1e010b2ff2b5104be485b4b2.jpg

I'd think pig would qualify as an omnivore rather than a carnivore, but your material quoted brings up lots of other examples!

I had also forgotten about alligator, which definitely qualifies as a carnivore even if not commonly available. 

• Like 1

well , Cats and Dogs have special places in many of our lives.

possible cats are eaten somewhere. we will possibly hear from an encyclopedia

and their relatives are eaten 

Im sure @YvetteMT

had respect for  the meal.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Carnivores generally just don't taste that good, IMO. Then there are the vitamin A problems. Pigs have become omnivorous due to humans, but are naturally herbivorous when left to their own devices.

Carnivorous seafood is the big exception to the 'taste bad' notion, although many species are vegetarian.

The worst things I've eaten so far are cØrn and swan.

• Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pulled a sourdough out of the fridge at 7:30 AM this morning that had been in the fridge for six days.
Went in Thurs. April 10th around 8:00 PM.

Made with just 70g of discard and less than a half a gram of yeast.
We made pizza for dinner.
MattsBaconCheeseburgerPizzaApril16th2024.thumb.jpg.a005e4249ada3356d369dedb52ff288f.jpg
Matt took just over 500g of dough and made himself a vegetarian bacon, cheeseburger pizza,
MattsBaconCheeseburgerPizzaApril16th20241.thumb.jpg.9d68729c2b2433e81f62a4447526594f.jpg
baked in the oven on the steel
ItalianSausageandMushroomPizza6daydoughApril16th2024.thumb.jpg.f3c2d59bdf357cbf7ed84b53cbdca8f9.jpg
and I baked a small 350g pizza for Moe and I in the OONI. Ours was Italian sausage and mushroom.
DoughApril10thtakenoutoffridgeLargeBatardApril16th20241.thumb.jpg.bc76f1822a8d2f091f14a814106f12cd.jpg
There was enough dough leftover, about 900g, so I baked a large batard.
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Carnivores generally just don't taste that good, IMO. Then there are the vitamin A problems. Pigs have become omnivorous due to humans, but are naturally herbivorous when left to their own devices.

Carnivorous seafood is the big exception to the 'taste bad' notion, although many species are vegetarian.

The worst things I've eaten so far are cØrn and swan.

What was so bad about swan? Too lean and gamey? 

Whenever my sister's lab Cooper gets into my vegetable garden I remind him that dogs are considered food in some parts of the world and he would fit in the BBQ 😁(just joking so a stay in the public stocks unnecessary).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Dogs are eaten here; there is a dog restaurant across the road from my home. Rather unpalatable meat.

I've talked about that here.

I had a young Chinese gent work for me at my restaurant, a recent graduate of the culinary program at our community college. I guess he was from somewhere in the environs of Beijing, but the name of the place meant nothing to me and he explained that it was where they'd held the rowing events at the Beijing Olympics. Not that this matters.

I was gifted a Big Green Egg at around this time (long story, which I may or may not have told) and was doing barbecue on Fridays. The first time I smoked a pork shoulder for pulled pork, I gave samples to the servers and to him. He chewed it thoughtfully for a moment and commented that it was not unlike they way they cooked dog back where he was from. The servers were horrified. The poor guy had no idea he'd offended them, and thought it odd that they were so short with him for the rest of the night.

I explained to him afterward that this was a cultural thing, and that he should probably just avoid the subject around locals.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I guess he was from somewhere in the environs of Beijing, but the name of the place meant nothing to me and he explained that it was where they'd held the rowing events at the Beijing Olympics.

Shunyi. It's a suburb of Beijing.

That said, dog isn't eaten so much in Beijing. Your pork may have been cooked in a similar manner but I'm sure (I hope) it didn't taste similar. It's chewy and rather off-tasting. Like nothing I've ever eaten before or since.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 4/16/2024 at 10:47 AM, KennethT said:

What is the seasoning on the chicken?

Penzey's fajita seasoning.

I had a gallon sized bag of beets that I needed to use up before they went bad, so I made beet gnocchi with beet sauce and broccolini. My sister, husband and I all enjoyed it, but my nephew was absolutely horrified.  He thinks beets are the worst vegetable in existence, so he got spaghetti and meatballs instead.  

beetgnocchi.thumb.jpg.65d23a595244534ef43ce8eeae485a2e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

I thought I posted yesterdays dinner but I don't see it.  It was ribs in the smoker.  They turned out really salty. I was so upset I probably forgot.  I dumped out the rib rub I had made a few months ago and started over from scratch.  So i did another rack today and they turned really well. I have a few theories about what went wrong but they are just guesses.  Whatever went wrong that one time, at least it was only one time.(fingers crossed)  The recipes are all on my blog but the potato salad recipe calls for 5 pounds and I made it with one potato so even though I used all the same ingredients I estimated the proportions.  The BBQ bean recipe came form Gates BBQ restaurant and used 110 ounces of canned baked beans.   I mixed all the the additional ingredients in a separate bowl, poured them into a bottle and refrigerated it so I can add just the right amount no matter what size the can of beans I use and still have more in the refrigerator for next time.

IMG_1568.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5