• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

It seems like whenever I don't feel like planning dinner,  like yesterday,  I default to steaks on the grill. A local grocery usually has these KC Strip steaks at a good price.  Just toss them on the grill, pop some corn in the oven and get a salad from the grocery salad bar.  I was going to make hash browns bur Charlie suggested steak fries and that was easier... a little messier but overall easier. Charlie asked for his to be skewered.  He puts an Asian sauce on them. 

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

did you broil or torch the sauce after plating to get the darker bits ?

No broiling or torching was involved.  I think it might just be the lighting and/or the herbs that are looking like the sauce was browned a bit.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Posted (edited)

IMG_4267.thumb.jpeg.03bb4b1b1a1d07c2c0784a2a63c61798.jpeg

similar to the other day , as its still very jot here.

the center 'mass' is a can of the same TJ's skinless sardines .  however I added to the Mayo based sauce :

Mayo ( Aldi ) , kimchi Jus , window green onions , kimchi and sauerkraut ( Tj's )  finely sliced  and finely sliced

Tj's bagged spinach  extra sliced green onions on top.   Campari tomatoes around the side w ' sprinkles '

small shredded wheat 'chaff' from the bottom of the bag .  I used these the other day for my salad :

IMG_4263.thumb.jpeg.fc156a540a90a89efd0f551744674814.jpeg

I had them and used them .  very nice .  an interesting crunch 

of the above were dishes in China , those little fibrils were be wiggling ( very fresh !

and an added economical source of protein .

the top dish turned out to be very very tasty , and will be served here often

of course , one would have to like sardines .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Spanakopita kinda night. Made this with my mom’s husband a lot. He didn’t like dealing with phyllo 😁. Still think his version is the best!

IMG_5293.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

I went to the butchers yesterday looking for some veal schnitzels but sadly none where prepped. But they did have some nice looking lamb forequarter chops.  I'll have four of those please....

Was not what I brought home. 🤔

IMG_20240709_183552.thumb.jpg.2a0abab7089727988863008c4d8a2d7f.jpg

Juicy pork chop, Spanish omelette, grilled tomato and something green.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Charlie suggested tacos today since it was Tuesday and when I said OK, he started looking for a place to get delivery but I said I'd make them.  Tacos mean guacamole and that means ripe avocados and the only places to be sure to find ripe ones are at one of the Mexican groceries nearby.  Two of them have taco bars and tables to eat-in and store made salsas.  Fresh made Pico de Gallo is a better tasting salsa  on tacos than any commercial taco sauce I have tried.  

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

It never fails: when I finally have time to cook a dish I've had in mind for days or weeks, I can't find the image or the recipe that inspired me. So it was today. I finally thawed one of several ribeye steaks that have been hanging around in the freezer for far too long. I can still see in my mind's eye the inspiring image of slices from the steak -- rare in the middle; seared on the surface; drizzled with a delicious herbaceous sauce. Was it on a salad? Tacos? I've no idea. It looked wonderful: seared outside, rare inside, drizzled with that marvelous sauce.

It didn't come out that way. I overcooked the steak in my zeal to try out our new charcoal grill. Nothing rare about it!

But -- the steak tasted good anyway. In the absence of the inspirational recipe, I winged a chimichurri sauce, and the sauce took flight. The salad was the no-brainer I've been enjoying lately.

20240709_204046.jpg

Ths was a good dinner. There's more steak left, and sauce, and the salad greens. I'll work toward getting the timing right for the meat doneness, but even slightly overcooked it's good.

Maybe eventually I'll find the darned recipe that inspired this dinner.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

56 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It never fails: when I finally have time to cook a dish I've had in mind for days or weeks, I can't find the image or the recipe that inspired me. So it was today.

[...]

Maybe eventually I'll find the darned recipe that inspired this dinner.

I'm compelled to ask: how do you file or keep your recipes?

Is there a thread here on storing recipes?

• Like 1

... Shel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It’s too hot, almost hot enough to not eat! 

I had half a Jersey Mike’s sub. They’re pretty good for a chain! 

Tomorrow I’m thinking of getting a rotisserie chicken, arugula, some local tomatoes and fresh mozzarella and drizzling it in olive oil with fresh ground pepper and sea salt. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Honkman said:

Lentil Salad - Beluga lentils cooked in water and in parallel sautéed some onions, carrots, green asparagus and parsley. Dressing made with olive oil, orange juice and zest, apple cider and mustard.

IMG_9936.thumb.jpeg.5c561635f116e56fd9c31f139375737e.jpeg

Sounds really good!

• Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

海鲜 (鱿鱼 + 虾仁) 炒粉 (hǎi xiān (yóu yú + xiā rén) chǎo fěn)

Sea food (squid + shrimp) fried rice noodles. Including onion, bean sprouts, chilli, cabbage, tofu, Chinese chives.

noodles.thumb.jpg.14d5548102dc36cfc7e6428789966150.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

It’s too hot, almost hot enough to not eat! 

I had half a Jersey Mike’s sub. They’re pretty good for a chain! 

Tomorrow I’m thinking of getting a rotisserie chicken, arugula, some local tomatoes and fresh mozzarella and drizzling it in olive oil with fresh ground pepper and sea salt. 

That sounds tasty. Last winter I discovered for myself how useful, versatile and generous a rotisserie chicken can be. Twice I bought a rotisserie chicken when I really wasn't in a mood to cook at all or eat much. Each chicken lasted me about a week, with identifiable parts (thigh, wing) featured in some meals and the remainder cut or shredded into salads. Chicken salad sandwiches would be good at this time of year, but so would a few shreds of meat atop a good green salad such as you describe.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I had been dreaming of a margherita pizza since I had home grown tomatoes and basil. I stopped by Aldi yesterday and picked up some flatbread and fresh mozzarella. Then when I went to make it, I discovered that my basil was too far gone. So I subbed in some jarred pesto. Baked in toaster oven. Worked just fine and was delicious. Nothing like home grown tomatoes.

image.thumb.png.1341966169715abcb59da788c74d5d24.png

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

That sounds tasty. Last winter I discovered for myself how useful, versatile and generous a rotisserie chicken can be. Twice I bought a rotisserie chicken when I really wasn't in a mood to cook at all or eat much. Each chicken lasted me about a week, with identifiable parts (thigh, wing) featured in some meals and the remainder cut or shredded into salads. Chicken salad sandwiches would be good at this time of year, but so would a few shreds of meat atop a good green salad such as you describe.

I always get a rotisserie chicken if I'm at Dillons or Sam's.  SO handy.  I got one on Monday from Sam's actually.  That night I just reheated it in the CSO.  Sometime this week I'll make quesadillas or taco salads with the rest.  

• Like 4

I didn’t get that much of my Daddy Bill’s gardening expertise but I made Greek lemon potatoes to go with leftover spanakopita. We grew the potatoes, garlic, oregano and parsley. They were so good!

IMG_5298.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

30 minutes ago, RWood said:

I didn’t get that much of my Daddy Bill’s gardening expertise but I made Greek lemon potatoes to go with leftover spanakopita. We grew the potatoes, garlic, oregano and parsley. They were so good!

IMG_5298.jpeg

I'm always searching for the ultimate Greek Lemon Potatoes. Any tips to share?

10 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'm always searching for the ultimate Greek Lemon Potatoes. Any tips to share?

Well, I think the thing that makes a difference is the amount of liquid. I didn't put as much this time. Some of our old Greek cookbooks, put a lot of stock, and it doesn't all cook out.  This batch had juice of half a large lemon, maybe 1/3 cup stock, 1/4 cup olive oil, then garlic, s&p, dried oregano. I cooked at 400F for about 40 mins.  The liquid was mostly gone except the oil. I cooked them another 15 or so.   My oven sucks and it doesn't brown like I want, so I wanted them to crisp more, but the stuff in the pan was good. I have cooked them before with more stock and covered them with foil, but sometimes they overcook and there is still liquid with no browning. This was a small batch though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Miss K

why did you drain the burger on the paper towel ?

that's what the bun  is for .

health // calorie reasons ?

then use the bun , and eat half .

the other half , on a hot and very humid morning 

\would make a very nice cold breakfast .

no paper towels would be abused in the process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RWood said:

Well, I think the thing that makes a difference is the amount of liquid. I didn't put as much this time. Some of our old Greek cookbooks, put a lot of stock, and it doesn't all cook out.  This batch had juice of half a large lemon, maybe 1/3 cup stock, 1/4 cup olive oil, then garlic, s&p, dried oregano. I cooked at 400F for about 40 mins.  The liquid was mostly gone except the oil. I cooked them another 15 or so.   My oven sucks and it doesn't brown like I want, so I wanted them to crisp more, but the stuff in the pan was good. I have cooked them before with more stock and covered them with foil, but sometimes they overcook and there is still liquid with no browning. This was a small batch though. 

Thanks for that information. I am always gobsmacked by the amount of oil  and stock/broth in most recipes but when theya are done right, heaven on earth!

• Like 1