• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Lest anyone believes it's all wild game all the time- tater tots and gluten free chicken strips!

(On my own for dinner tonight and while I'd normally make curry or oysters, some days that's a bridge too far). With remoulade.

20240615_182634.thumb.jpg.07210dbd0d770c8ebe76b89bd04b153a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

You're in MT, so you must mean Mountain Oysters!

No, but i have eaten and love rocky mountain oysters!

• Like 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

I'll be dining on Friday at Bessie North House in Canning, NS on Friday, thanks to the efforts of a cousin who lives in the area. It's a tough reservation to get: they do 12 covers, one seating, 3 nights/week, and the entire season typically books up in minutes. My cousin has been trying for three years to get a four-top and finally succeeded, and I'll be one of the party.

Can't guarantee photos (or the quality of said photos, should they happen) but I'll do my best to offer up a description after the fact.

https://www.bessienorthhouse.com/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Been doing a good amount tacos and fajitas recently. Got a tortilla press for Christmas and now I can consistently make pretty good ones in very little time. Keep an eye out for sales on Masienda’s masa at Whole Foods.

Last night I grilled a NY strip steak. Tacos weren’t the original plan, but but dinned turned out great regardless. 

E5FC9BCF-86EE-435C-A60B-D3789BAE2EFD.thumb.jpeg.7b6234943d5f566b7c1e4f2506277fac.jpeg

C033345B-79AD-4B85-A847-E70149746FCA.thumb.jpeg.e72c3305f0b0fcca6be63d03baa5f2bf.jpeg

Some fajitas from last week. 

IMG_0301.thumb.jpeg.21b6036bfedd6e6b6e5734b0bad09d03.jpeg

IMG_0305.thumb.jpeg.645da6fff809601404ec84fa562853f1.jpeg

IMG_0309.thumb.jpeg.910c4e362c74ae83a1a58bceff671647.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

Pasta with Arugula. Pistachio, Lemon and Parm pesto.  

pasta1.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Visited a friend in a coastal fishing small town where they have a delightful fresh fish shop which backs onto the sea with its own jetty and fishing vessels, so you know the fish is going to be fresh.

We had two kinds of fish

Flake which is gummy shark and the fish my husband prefers as it is very meaty.

B23759D3-CC57-4937-8597-EF32AD7356CB.jpeg.7487742c18872855a6ccf29ce0d49315.jpeg

I love Orange Roughy ( below ) sometimes known as deep sea perch and I had that.

6D00AD24-3D88-4381-88B7-DC9860DEE65E.jpeg.2d07f414b95c260c9bf450096c845eb2.jpeg

I also bought a dozen oysters and had 6 two nights. They were very good. 

655CB9C7-8FAB-4628-BFDA-11389A5BB0F1.jpeg.76a50f34a3e914636c85eb7f5a609c95.jpeg

Sorry about the lighting…now it’s dark at 5.30pm

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Garozzos Italian Restaurant is acclaimed to be possibly the best Italian restaurant in the area.  Last week Charlie and I went there and each of us had a version of their famous Spiedini di Pollol . I had the one with crushed tomatoes and Charlie had the one with artichoke hearts and Alfredo sauce.  We got there at 3:30, half an hour after they opened and were the only patron there at first.  Someone must have been caught off guard in the kitchen because Charlie's, although delicious, the chicken was waaay over cooked.  I said I wanted to try to make  a version of theirs sometime soon.  That turned out to be today.

Yesterday Mary from Michigan, an online friend since long before Facebook,  posted a recipe for a cake that looked scrumptious. So I made it today too. It has become both our new all time favorite cake. I spent more time in the kitchen today than I have in a long time. By the time I served the Speidini, I was too tired to think about a garnish.

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

Variation on a well known Northern German dish - Birnen, Bohnen und Speck (pears, beans and bacon). There are many, many variations and this one is from our favorite German cooking magazine “essen & trinken” (eating & drinking).

You sear a larger piece of beef chuck before mixing it with a larger piece of bacon, roasted, halved onions, juniper berries, bay leaves and peppercorns in water and slowly cook it for a 2.5 hours. Beef and bacon get chopped and the broth strained. You then add sequentially over time to the strained broth grated potatoes (too thicken), halved, firm pears, chunks of potatoes, green beans and lastly great northern beans, savory and the previously cooked bacon and beef chuck. Finished with some champagne vinegar and a little bit of sugar.IMG_9658.thumb.jpeg.ca99443440c792541667deed0da72db2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Leftovers from the family + friends gathering: Lamb keema; chaat with green chutney (courtesy of Pakistani guest); palak paneer (mandatory when my sister visits); and basmati rice (courtesy of elder son and his rice cooker). Not pictured: salmon with ginger-soy-maple glaze, chicken with garlic scapes, cabbage salad, naan, and probably a few other things I am forgetting.

Family_202406.thumb.jpg.167faf81d5804e6ade52a65ea68477e2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Pasta with Roasted Garlic, Cauliflower and Walnuts - First you roast two whole garlic heads with olive oil in an aluminum foil poach in the oven at 500F and mix the roasted garlic with olive oil, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Afterwards you roast the cauliflower in larger pieces in the oven before chopping it. Both get mixed with pasta (casarecce), pasta water, parsley, parmesan, lemon juice and toasted walnuts.

IMG_9662.thumb.jpeg.030d0a1c74e7220efaf9090f6e1bedaf.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Sunday dinner of a 1 Kg. rib toast (after trimming and tying) roasted over a bed of carrots and onions. Rib bone roasted alongside and will be a future dinner. Butternut squash with garlic (in the ramekin in foil) roasted alongside and removed when done destined for a squash mash with the roasted garlic and herbs.

Worked out well and after the meal I realized I didn't take any more photos 🙃 Oops.

June172024SundayRoast.thumb.JPG.23b8aa1a57ff224b55a2ccb8ceae9dba.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@Senior Sea Kayaker

that sandwich looks delicious.  Ill have to see if I have the disc space 

for a new folder :  Sandwich p0rn.

did you warm up the brie to just melting point ?

keep the in mind.  ive done that , seperatly for sandwiches w cheese.

if you  ever make 'ham and cheese '  stack the ham and cheese 

to fit the sandwich  , and micro separately both  to just melt the swiss

'then add to the pre-prepared sandwich ( room temp )

make sure you have the materials for a second sandwich readily available 

you will need a second dose , its so good that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Senior Sea Kayaker

that sandwich looks delicious.  Ill have to see if I have the disc space 

for a new folder :  Sandwich p0rn.

did you warm up the brie to just melting point ?

keep the in mind.  ive done that , seperatly for sandwiches w cheese.

if you  ever make 'ham and cheese '  stack the ham and cheese 

to fit the sandwich  , and micro separately both  to just melt the swiss

'then add to the pre-prepared sandwich ( room temp )

make sure you have the materials for a second sandwich readily available 

you will need a second dose , its so good that way.

sandwich assembly is an often overlooked thing

optimal warming...proper stacking so as to avoid slippage...optimal bread thickness

critical stuff

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

@gfweb

I agree  .

aslo , effective slicing of the top bread so that you don't 

completely smoosh put the sandwich .

after all , the proper sandwich is an opportunity 

to Pig-Out in a socially acceptable manner 

of others are around .

Solo Sandwiching ?

a completyy private matter .

• Like 3

@rotuts I split the focaccia then toasted it. Layered the brie on the top slice which allowed it to soften and warm but not enough to squish out of the sandwich when eaten. Also microwaved the beef enough to warm but not enough to cook it any further.

@gfweb Completely agree that sandwich assembly is important as well as choice of bread. You wouldn't want to put something like egg salad or hummus on a hard roll sandwich and have it squirt out all sides at first bite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot