• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long are you willing to wait for breakfast?

Margaret Pilgrim

I read with wonder the fabulous complicated breakfast plates, even trays, that you guys enjoy.    My tribe needs/expects breakfast on the table in, say, 10 minutes.    What are your group's expectations, and how long are you willing to spend on breakfast?   

eGullet member #80.

surely "the piper calls the tune...." (in this case the cook😁)

If they can't wait they can go without or get it themselves.

(that may include them purchasing a kitchen and ingredients for themselves.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Oh - home def quicker. But of going for the dining out---- even at local places for me like  pho or https://www.thehotntot.com/  the drive, parking, waiting for table. To be expected. I've never ever lived with "breakfast now!" demanding folks.  Ex knew where the oatmel packets were and son never food demander.

• Like 1

Five minutes, which is about the time it takes to make a thermos of tea. I don't cook breakfast. If my husband decides to make biscuits or pancakes I time my appearance for five minutes before anything is ready. Ordinarily I just eat toast and fruit. If there's leftover pizza that's exciting and, since my technique for heating it involves popping it in the toaster, it takes about as long as toast. We eat an early dinner, so I'm hungry in the morning. And please don't talk to me. My husband gets up earlier than I do, so the butter and marmalade are already out. He even cuts my bread for me, mainly because I am bad at making even slices and he seems to be a genius in that respect. He doesn't want me to cut my own because it means his next slice will always be a wonky correction. 

Just let me know when it's ready, @blue_dolphin!

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since I'm cooking for myself I'll wait until I've made and had coffee, checked the weather, caught up on the news then proceed (also helps that I'm a chronic early riser and tend to think about breakfast in the evening so there's a plan in mind).

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I'm in the "roll out of bed and eat immediately" camp, but my usual breakfast is already-prepared steel-cut oats so prep is 1 minute and 40 seconds in the microwave. Boring and not photogenic, which is why I seldom participate in the breakfast thread. :)

My GF is a late sleeper by inclination and work schedule, so she's up at noon and ready to contemplate food by 8PM or thereabouts. So any kind of elaborate breakfast is a very occasional thing done with the grandkids. Waffles and suchlike.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm a sometime breakfast eater.  And never the first thing in the mornng.

I like a large freshly brewed coffee enjoyed for at least an hour (in a thermal mug).

Then maybe I'll think about food.

I'm like @lindag, only mine is tea. And a good book. Lasts about an hour.

Unless I started the bread machine the night before, so the baking bread will disturb my consiousness somewhat earlier. 😄

• Haha 2

I don't really eat breakfast because I can't seem to eat on a schedule. I've always said that working in restaurants and grabbing your food when you could causes you to develop some pretty strange habits. I've always said I eat on demand. I eat when my stomach demands it or when there's something particularly delicious in the house that demands to be eaten. My favorite breakfast food is leftovers. Sometime during the morning when I get hungry I raid the fridge. My very favorite breakfast is cold pizza.

• Like 1

Since I'm the breakfast cook, I guess I wait as ling as it takes me to make it (and I make breakfast every single day).

I don't wait long for my first cup of coffee, however - that gets started pretty darn quickly after awakening.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ed and I ate breakfast together for many years after he and I retired.  And once a week we went out for breakfast at a local diner.  That I thought was the height of luxury.  And then the restaurant closed...the owner/cook was sick of getting up so early in the morning.  I don't blame her.

Now we eat separately.  I always eat and quite early...I feed the morning meal to the pups (or as in this case, pup).  Ed eats if and when he pleases and we no longer eat the same things.  

However, I do get the coffee at 6:30 am every morning.  But I've always been an early riser.  No complaints here.  I'm just glad I can still get up.  

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My husband is an early riser (5-6 am) while I usually show my face between 7 and 8. He makes himself cereal and fruit or heated up leftovers or occasionally an egg/cheese sandwich. My break the fast meal is usually closer to 11 and by that time, I have whatever I feel like, often not a typical breakfast meal. He is kind enough to make sure that there is an espresso for me within 5 minutes of waking. Works for us.

• Like 5