• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

This looks way too white!  I only had basil in fridge and thought it would be too strong.  It was a last-minute quick dinner without any pre-planning.  

Sauce over the angel hair is pancetta, oven-roasted garlic, reduced wine and cream.  Topped with toasted pistachios and fresh grated parm.  Toasted garlic bread with scattering of smoked sea salt.  

Been away from site for awhile....ups and downs medically, but feeling better now. 

white pasta.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 13

15 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

This looks way too white!  I only had basil in fridge and thought it would be too strong.  It was a last-minute quick dinner without any pre-planning.  

Sauce over the angel hair is pancetta, oven-roasted garlic, reduced wine and cream.  Topped with toasted pistachios and fresh grated parm.  Toasted garlic bread with scattering of smoked sea salt.  

Been away from site for awhile....ups and downs medically, but feeling better now. 

white pasta.jpg

Sounds good to me. Is the background some type of terrazzo style stone? I like it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sounds good to me. Is the background some type of terrazzo style stone? I like it.

It's my kitchen counter in Tucson home.  It's recycled glass.  LEED certified, i.e. eco-friendly rating.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Paul Bacino 

wow.  those look terrific 

would you share the Rx ?

RT..  Pretty simple/ Dry/ I season (  commercial blend )/  then i powder them in Wonder flour/  egg wash dip/ shake in crumbs/  dry for 1hr/  fry 325. Delectable  

@heidih--  flakey/ not dry/  this halibut came from Alaska from my patient.  These filets  are similar to a salted cod/  much more dense

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

35 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

@heidih--  flakey/ not dry/  this halibut came from Alaska from my patient.  These filets  are similar to a salted cod/  much more dense

I had 2 neighbors who fished Alaska annually - the halibut was so so good. I miss them!  Nice patient + good doc = good things.

• Like 3

IMG_0431.jpeg.402e5fc6424db7584ab8fdfb9287a0a6.jpeg

Local greens.  House-braised, marinated *artichoke hearts. Poached **wild gulf shrimp. Last of the farmer's market tomatoes (for now). Olives. Dill. Parsley.  Mustardy lemon vinaigrette.

IMG_0433.jpeg.0f2bfc11e598b19b7efe0efed0cb7311.jpeg

Penne with meat sauce.

* I'd make these marinated artichoke hearts more frequently...if they weren't such a pain in the ass. 

** For the poached shrimp, make a quick stock (or court bouillon) with the shrimp shells. Strain the liquid, bring the stock back to a boil, drop shrimp in, turn off heat, cover for 3 minutes maybe stirring once. Drain and spread the shrimp out on a cold plate (I prefer this method rather than shocking them in ice water).  These were 16 or so shrimp to the pound; larger ones might take an extra 30 - 60 seconds. I also like to brine the shrimp for about an hour prior to cooking them - wet or dry brine works.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Cooked for the family again. My brother in law helped out, including a great apple sauce.

How does he seaon/spice his applesauce? Or just great apples?

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

How does he seaon/spice his applesauce? Or just great apples?

English braeburns. He added a bit of marmalade, I think that was it. The wife says it was better than mine. I usually add a glug of cider and cook it down, with definitely a bit of pepper. I said it was great, based on the missus's comments. But she's got a sweet tooth.

I only had a lick of his, because carbs (idiot imoji) but it was nice. I prefer mine.

Edited by Kerala
Idiot wind (log)
  • Like 2

Cod baked with panko breadcrumbs, I brushed dijon on top of the fillets then pressed the panko mixed w/melted butter on top. Steamed whole green beans with a drizzle of balsamic, and a multi-grain/cous cous mix from TJ’s.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

,Most unbalanced dinner ever! My daughter's HOA had their annual get together, which for the past few years has involved a wing contest. My SIL won it last year, but didn't enter this year. There were six entries, all spicy. Five were quite good. I passed on the various pasta salads and the pizzas. and just had wings and beer for dinner. Our family contribution to the potluck was brownies, made by me. That was my dessert. The weather was lovely, not hot. The crowd was diverse and interesting and there were hoards of children, most of whom looked to be under 7 yrs old. As you would expect there was abundant talk about the schools in the area. SOO glad I'm done with that!

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

This afternoon was our first foray into looking at areas that we would consider downsizing in. Stopped for a drink at a pub then headed home but decided we were hungry so as it was late afternoon decided to hit up happy hour at El Companeros: https://www.elcompaneros.com/

Two margaritas each, they are good margaritas, no triple sec but fresh lime juice. Appy size order of pork chimichangas for my husband and quesobirria tacos for me. Great food and reasonably priced.

mex.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

28 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

This afternoon was our first foray into looking at areas that we would consider downsizing in.

I think you should consider Vancouver Island!  🙂

I don't have a picture of the dinner we had last night, but it was basically this recipe for Black Bean & Squash Chili. I used a Carnival squash and red pepper from a local farm along with Cherimoya chili powder that I order from a little place in New Mexico. And Rancho Gordo beans. The spicy chili really brought out the sweetness of the squash. I didn't care about being vegan so used some of my frozen chicken stock. 

Gratuitous photo of another local farm's squash/onion/garlic offerings. I did buy a different sale squash here, but I just love checking out their barn decor when they open things up for their Autumn/Hallowe'en displays. Their prices have gone a bit crazy, but some of the stuff is more reasonable. 

PXL_20230929_214540389.thumb.jpg.4dc559cf268b2abeb5c0ec40e118f130.jpg

PXL_20230929_214806627_MP.thumb.jpg.ec41c05385e184415e1d2ad29740dc6a.jpg 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

17 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I don't have a picture of the dinner we had last night, but it was basically this recipe for Black Bean & Squash Chili. I used a Carnival squash and red pepper from a local farm along with Cherimoya chili powder that I order from a little place in New Mexico. And Rancho Gordo beans. The spicy chili really brought out the sweetness of the squash. I didn't care about being vegan so used some of my frozen chicken stock. 

Gratuitous photo of another local farm's squash/onion/garlic offerings. I did buy a different sale squash here, but I just love checking out their barn decor when they open things up for their Autumn/Hallowe'en displays. Their prices have gone a bit crazy, but some of the stuff is more reasonable. 

What a great market! Belive me, we considered the Island for years but given that all friends, family, doctors, are in the Fraser Valley, it just doesn't make sense. Husband was/is an avid fisherman and that has all gone down the tubes. If they would just build a damn tunnel or bridge or some way other than ferries, we would move there in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

Tried Rock Fish for the first time this evening. Meat/fish guy said it's similar to cod, so I made Fish'n'Chips.
It was good, but I still prefer cod or pickerel. Halibut if it was on sale!

Always, the curry gravy for the fish!

Made coleslaw the way my parents did in the little rural cafe: shredded cabbage, onion, celery, carrot, doused with vinegar, salt, sugar, then squeezed for a couple of minutes to work in the seasoning. Good memories!

RockFishnChips2275.jpg.16cde7524659e82d8adb817945a8f40a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 10/1/2023 at 12:48 PM, Dejah said:

Tried Rock Fish for the first time this evening. Meat/fish guy said it's similar to cod, so I made Fish'n'Chips.

Rock and chips is or was common in British fish and chip shops when I was a kid. Cheaper than cod or haddock. I'm not sure however if that is the same species as rock fish in North America whichI'm told comes from the Pacific.

Cod is certainly better, but in my opinion haddock is the winner for fish and chips. It's more popular in Scotland.

I've been really craving fish and chips recently, but I'm reliant on delivery meals due to my health or rather lack of it, and the locals don't do fish and chips. My nearest fish and chip options are in Hong Kong, 316 miles, a day and a lot of administrative hassle away.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Yesterday we, group of five, visited Baddeck on the west shore of Bras d'Or. Our first stop was the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site (Parks Canada) followed by a stroll around the main street and waterfront and dinner.

Museum entrance:

DSCN1237-Copy.thumb.JPG.b46510df9f94950cce46dff0d430b2d7.JPGDSCN1215-Copy.thumb.JPG.5360794dfad707bd2440a0d989d0623f.JPG

Baddeck waterfront on Bras d'Or:

DSCN1234-Copy.thumb.JPG.bb60270ae14109a49d0d2fbb7b4433cb.JPG

After working up an appetite we went for dinner at Baddeck Lobster Suppers. Very popular with locals and tourists alike.

We all opted for the full meal: biscuits and oatcakes, seafood chowder , mussels, main with side (four options and the sides are fixed), a desert, tea or coffee and a non-alcoholic beverage for $64 Cdn. 

All the food was very good.

Four of us had refills on the chowder and the table went through two pails of mussels.

Mains: Standard side of salad, coleslaw and potato salad.

DSCN1239.thumb.JPG.f7c589510643b8d8b1e77f32453ee881.JPG

My sister and SIL chose the planked salmon which came with steamed potatoes and a mustard based sauce.

DSCN1240.thumb.JPG.1cf6565a687bfc3914684dfe8b4fb568.JPG

My brother and BIL went for the lobster. Sorry for the poor focus.

DSCN1241.thumb.JPG.905b885b337944948c2f49cc89652e1f.JPG

I opted for the snow crab.

DSCN1242.thumb.JPG.ca89d07905be49ba29a688d2b0f249a8.JPG

Deserts chosen were three coconut cream pies, one blueberry crisp and one ginger cake with lemon sauce.

All in all a great outing. My brother and SIL are heading back to Ontario today.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 6

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I visited that museum as a kid, and loved it.

One of the displays was a prototype propeller he'd made from a wooden venetian blind his wife had ordered for their house. Apparently it arrived while he was going through one of his fits of aeronautic experimentation (some of you Stateside may not know it, but Bell was an aviation pioneer - his aircraft the Silver Dart made the first powered flight in the British Empire - and also tested the first hydrofoil boats on the idyllic lake shown in SSK's photo above), and he thought the slats were an interesting alternative to carving a prop out of laminated wood.

The part that made it stick in my childhood memory was a dry observation on the plaque that "it is not recorded what Mrs. Bell thought of the experiment..."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A complete Trader Joe's product dinner...

IMG_0439.jpeg.f359da4cfdfdb28c3ffbdbfd508dceb9.jpeg

The package had two "Frenched" pork chops, nice and thick and even with a little marbling.  Salted a few hours ahead, pan sautéed, they were good with a quick pan sauce (I get the bone), and we only ate one of them.  Roasted Yukon gold potato (should've bought Russets, which to my taste, are better when roasting).  And for some reason, there was a big display of just received asparagus from Mexico.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I could spend hours in that market.

• Like 4