• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Moe and I celebrated our 44th Anniversary today, although we have actually been together for 50 years.
I worked today but planned dinner so it was something simple, but worthy of a celebration dinner.
AnniversaryDinnerAugust25th20233.thumb.jpg.ce112e5313f00bc33eaa8cc01f2e36bc.jpg

One of Moe's favourite dishes from Centro Restaurant in Toronto was Fettuccine Natasha.
A vodka tomato cream sauce with smoked salmon. I made it tonight using linguine.
We had a small wedding with about 25 guests at the home of our very good friends Patty and Michael.
We served Champagne so it has been our tradition to have Champagne on our Anniversary.

Anniversary Dinner August 25th, 2023 1.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

50 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
Moe and I celebrated our 44th Anniversary today, although we have actually been together for 50 years.
I worked today but planned dinner so it was something simple, but worthy of a celebration dinner.

One of Moe's favourite dishes from Centro Restaurant in Toronto was Fettuccine Natasha.
A vodka tomato cream sauce with smoked salmon. I made it tonight using linguine.
We had a small wedding with about 25 guests at the home of our very good friends Patty and Michael.
We served Champagne so it has been our tradition to have Champagne on our Anniversary.

I absolutely must try smoked salmon in a vodka cream sauce. Never occurred to me before now. :x

That looks like an excellent dinner, and it celebrates a lovely occasion and tradition. Congratulations!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I am going to try this soon. Looks fabulous. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Congrats to you and Moe!

Went off-piste tonight. Thai.

黄咖喱鸡 (huáng gā lí jī ), Yellow Curry Chicken

泰式牛肉 (tài shì niú ròu), Thai Style Beef

冬阴功汤 (dōng yīn gōng tāng), Tom Yum Soup

泰式包菜 (tài shì bāo cài), Thai Style Cabbage

米饭 (mǐ fàn), Rice

thai.thumb.jpg.f82cb53636f3f19e2af34846bc9dbb00.jpg

Not by any means the best Thai food I've ever had, but tasty enough.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Stir-fried pickerel cheeks with vegetables, pre-salted drumsticks in Ninja air-fryer, cooked salted duck egg purchased by mistake, and jasmine rice.

PickerelCheeksVeg1949.jpg.b58b03c269c0e8bd95ed573e7725cbf6.jpgAirFryerdrumsticks1954.jpg.6a57f605d4a5369d05eadf16c16eeb56.jpg

Pickerelcheeksplated1957.jpg.13c64dea94863db801407019112437f0.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Stir-fried pickerel cheeks with vegetables, pre-salted drumsticks in Ninja air-fryer, cooked salted duck egg purchased by mistake, and jasmine rice.

PickerelCheeksVeg1949.jpg.b58b03c269c0e8bd95ed573e7725cbf6.jpg

So cheeks sold separately? Nice. One of my many favorite food descriptions is Madeleine Kamman about her Mimi-Cherie reserving the fish cheek as the cook's treat to mash later with mayonnaise spread over bread that she'd generously rubbed with garlic. 

• Like 1

My attempt at Uyghur Lamb Skewers (Yang Rou Chuanr). Oven baked, pre-marinated 4hrs in an onion blend.

image.thumb.jpeg.2aa2d8946bae05459bc97a42a2e2b35c.jpeg

Edited by zend
The picture was not showing on the website. Fixed (log)
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Short visit to Nürnberg … had to do the sensible thing and eat a sampler of Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen: Grilled & smoked ones, with grated horseradish, potato salad and Sauerkraut

IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.315d41ecc7013a50c5a55f8fcd508297.jpeg

And boiled ones with onion in a vinegared stock …

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.07210b9e534fe96d6065d7e51a524364.jpeg

And beer, of course 🤗

IMG_0578.thumb.jpeg.f629f90d3256307c940df4aa8a22b2f0.jpeg

Just shoot me...

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, zend said:

My attempt at Uyghur Lamb Skewers (Yang Rou Chuanr). Oven baked, pre-marinated 4hrs in an onion blend.

Your overlong link doesn't work.

Uyghur lamb skewers are never oven baked. The roadside cooks/vendors don't have ovens! They are grilled and they are almost everywhere called 羊肉串 (yáng ròu chuàn). The /r/ ending in 羊肉串儿 (yáng ròu chuàn ér) is only used in Beijing dialect where they add it to almost everything. Beijing is over 3,000 Km / 3,800 miles from Xinjiang, home of the Uyghurs.

Edited by liuzhou
clarification (log)
  • Like 1

Mr. Kim has been owed his dinners out for Father’s Day and his birthday since June.  We were all sick for Father’s Day and he got a temporary crown in just before his birthday.  He’s had the permanent crown in for a few days, so he decided on his BD steak last night.  We went to Longhorn (which we like as a mid-range steak house).  Started with onion petals:

IMG_4165.jpg.c3128fea8c3917de741d3473065d30c0.jpg

Nowhere NEAR as good as a Blooming Onion, but we don’t care for Outback steaks.  He got his favorite – NY strip and a sweet potato:

IMG_4166.thumb.jpg.3ee84d8f08fdb5179ddd481f3cab8d35.jpg

I got the small ribeye and the roasted corn:

IMG_4167.jpg.f0bfc86a1203ba4bfbbaee824388be1c.jpg

The corn had crema and toasted parmesan on it – it was good, but cotija would have been better than the parm.

Jessica got a filet and baked potato and Brussels sprouts:

IMG_4168.jpg.1d9977ceb519286667354df592bf5506.jpg

Everything was good – not fabulous, but it tasted good and the steaks were decent quality.  It occurs to me looking at these plates – at what point did so many restaurants stop worrying about nice plating?  A little garnish or sauce swoop on a plate and a swipe of the grease off the edge of a plate used to be standard in all kitchens except the very greasiest of the greasy spoons.  Now, I get messy plates all the time.  It’s not a huge thing, but a bit of a turn off.  Makes you know that no one in the kitchen really cares about the food. 

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Kim Shook That sweet potato looks nicely roasted - Is Mr Kim a skin eater or would it have been tough? Never heard of onion petral+s or had a "bloomin onion". I am so off track.

It was extremely papery, so no, he didn't eat the skin.  He's not much on the skin of potatoes - not even a nice, crispy, buttery russet skin.  

The petals are just onions pieces cut long ways and battered and fried.  Outback's Bloomin' Onion is trashy, greasy GOODNESS and the only reason we ever go there.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

It was extremely papery, so no, he didn't eat the skin.  He's not much on the skin of potatoes - not even a nice, crispy, buttery russet skin.  

The petals are just onions pieces cut long ways and battered and fried.  Outback's Bloomin' Onion is trashy, greasy GOODNESS and the only reason we ever go there.  

I've never been to Outback but I've heard the onions are so good.  I had big plans to copy their recipe but it hasn't happened so far.....I still have tons of huge onions though so thanks for the reminder.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Your overlong link doesn't work.

Uyghur lamb skewers are never oven baked. They don't have ovens! They are grilled …

Having spend dozens of business trips in Xinjiang (Urumuqi and Kuerle, respectively), I can only attest that the lamb skewers there are exclusively grilled. The meat is usually not marinated, but interstacked with cubes of very fatty lamb/lamb fat, that provide ample flavor. Sometimes skewers are presalted, intestines usually not. As @liuzhou has mentioned in other posts, the finished skewers are liberally sprinkled with cumin & chili flakes after grilling.

I am pretty sure that Uyghurs do have ovens, though: their (great) breads are made in tandoor ovens and at least in the Pear Garden restaurant in Kuerle, they use the same oven to roast larger cuts of meat (but not skewers).

@zend: regardless of whether terminology or preparation are 100% replicating the works of an Uyghur street vendor, yours look pretty tasty and I am sure were enjoyed 🤗

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dejah said:

PickerelCheeksVeg1949.jpg.b58b03c269c0e8bd95ed573e7725cbf6.jpgAirFryerdrumsticks1954.jpg.6a57f605d4a5369d05eadf16c16eeb56.jpg

I love pickerel but never caught enough to make a meal of cheeks

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

15 hours ago, Dejah said:

Pickerel cheeks! I'm envious. That's usually the shore lunch cook's treat.

• Like 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

pretty sure that Uyghurs do have ovens, though: their (great) breads are made in tandoor ovens

Much of the breads are baked in communal ovens or dedicated bakeries. What I should have said is that most smaller restaurants and certainly homes tend not to have ovens, as in all of China.

Your description of the skewer method is spot on; no 4-hour marination, mutton tail fat and the spicing.

• Like 1