• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

Hyannus is about 2 hours away , and Im told the bread racks ( several )  are left at the front door @ 6 am

I've never seen Pain d'Avignon at the Trader Joe's here...but maybe because there's a Pain d'Avignon here?

IMG_9599.thumb.jpeg.9fb1865f195264a268ce670b090a020f.jpeg

Rigatoni with mortadella and prosciutto enhanced tomato sauce.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Creole shrimp over thick slab polenta, --cast iron seared. Shaved fennel and friends slaw. Prefer a fresh batch of grits but this polenta was ready to go. Not to be confused with NewOrleans shrimp creole that is usually a heavy-with-tomato stew.(not a favorite). Spent a 'gap year' working at the GumboShop in the FrenchQuarter. A shame they did/do not have an oyster bar. (our preferred NOrleans meal---raw, grilled, fried oyster pó Boy)

IMG_6440.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Mapo Ragù Momofuku style, NYT.  This ragù can be used over rice cakes, pasta or rice, last night I served it over pasta.  The kale came from the pot on the terrace that the woodchuck managed to overlook as he destroyed my pot of romaine and curly leaf lettuce. This is a relatively quick ragù to put together with no long cooking involved, the meat was pork but I think most minced meat would work equally well. The Gochujang said hot on the  label but this was not particularly fiery, it also included Sichuan peppercorns. I’ve made several different versions of this type of meat sauce, this is pleasant but I’ve preferred others.

Dessert was a small slice of peach cake made with local peaches, half almond flour and half all purpose, adapted from a BBC recipe called Bakewell Cake, this is a 6” cake rather than the 8/9” version.

IMG_3968.jpeg

IMG_2544.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Another relaxing BBQ family dinner …

Pork collar, Grillfackeln, choriço, sausage spirals and cheese …

IMG_0026.thumb.jpeg.cdaca24f252c4f607037a377f0ddac5d.jpeg

Roasted oven veggies filling in for the usual potato or pasta salad …

IMG_0025.thumb.jpeg.a8d1af60b18e01b4a9520b13f996b915.jpeg

And some garden-fresh tomatoes with basil oil …

IMG_0027.thumb.jpeg.2f865f522b5160b78de0366478a252bf.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

14 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Another relaxing BBQ family dinner …

Pork collar, Grillfackeln, choriço, sausage spirals and cheese …

IMG_0026.thumb.jpeg.cdaca24f252c4f607037a377f0ddac5d.jpeg

Roasted oven veggies filling in for the usual potato or pasta salad …

IMG_0025.thumb.jpeg.a8d1af60b18e01b4a9520b13f996b915.jpeg

And some garden-fresh tomatoes with basil oil …

IMG_0027.thumb.jpeg.2f865f522b5160b78de0366478a252bf.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

On the basil oil - do you do a light infusion while cooking with fresh herb or? When my plants were bg bushes I used to cover many cuttings with olive oil and slow "poach". Leaves sort of fried - tasty cook's treat on bread.

Edited by heidih (log)

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

On the basil oil - do you do a light infusion while cooking with fresh herb or? When my plants were bg bushes I used to cover many cuttings with olive oil and slow "poach". Leaves sort of fried - tasty cook's treat on bread.

I blanch the basil in boiling water for 10 secs or so, dump in ice water and drain (in a salad spinner). Then simply puree with cold olive oil. Sometimes I filter the solids out (like today), resulting in a lighter colored, more delicate basil oil, or leave them in for a deep green, robust oil (for dipping bread, …).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tacos with three fillings:

Shiitake mushrooms in a pasilla-ancho-chipotle sauce, seasoned with roasted garlic, Mexican oregano, cumin, black pepper, and cilantro. Beautiful inky-maroon color but sadly mostly hidden in this pic

Roasted Poblano rajas with white onion, garlic, thyme, and Mexican oregano

Lazy guacamole with lime and hot sauce

Topped with diced white onion and feta cheese. I'm not sure that mixing everything together entirely made sense but it sure was fun.

Tacos_Mushroom_pasilla_202307.thumb.jpg.fd9160c63c8559db129b4eb44559fc21.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

Mapo Ragù Momofuku style, NYT.  This ragù can be used over rice cakes, pasta or rice, last night I served it over pasta.  The kale came from the pot on the terrace that the woodchuck managed to overlook as he destroyed my pot of romaine and curly leaf lettuce. This is a relatively quick ragù to put together with no long cooking involved, the meat was pork but I think most minced meat would work equally well. The Gochujang said hot on the  label but this was not particularly fiery, it also included Sichuan peppercorns. I’ve made several different versions of this type of meat sauce, this is pleasant but I’ve preferred others.

Dessert was a small slice of peach cake made with local peaches, half almond flour and half all purpose, adapted from a BBC recipe called Bakewell Cake, this is a 6” cake rather than the 8/9” version.

IMG_3968.jpeg

IMG_2544.jpeg

Woodchucks are more intelligent than I thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chicken sandwich:
Chicken marinated for 24 hours in home made pickle brine, then dipped in egg and coated with a mix of wheat and rice flour, cornstarch, and baking powder, seasoned with paprika, oregano, basil, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cumin, mustard powder, thyme, coriander, garlic powder, celery seed, onion powder, and ginger, then a second light coating of dukkah. Brioche buns, with arugula, quick pickled red onion, home made pickles, and slices of cheddar as toppings. Sauce of mayo, dijon, bbq sauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, paprika, and garlic powder.

Side of fries

IMG_20230630_194707.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Found more doves in the freezer 🙄I swear these are the last of them.  Mac and cheese, green beans and Yukon potatoes to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_4664.jpg.d0a8cccf01951d7b645a7f2cf935571b.jpg

Last night salad

thumbnail_IMG_4667.jpg.fbe8d0b367039cd3388b83543f6d6f79.jpg

Pepperoni, onion and mushroom

thumbnail_IMG_4668.jpg.ede57582a5a949d9ae6c1e30af328415.jpg

Cherry galette for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_4666.jpg.55c0d50073c8847cf59b48ca0c554244.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4669.jpg.7b373b434ee81aefa153e04756bcf4cc.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

Pizza & movie night, convenience edition …

One large baking tray pizza, topped half with sausage (chopped Bratwurstschnecke, to be precise) & basil, the other half with fresh spinach, garlic, caramelized onions and goat cheese cream …

IMG_0035.thumb.jpeg.a93e62131b9465da9c4cc389c317ad31.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching Nimona, a quite amusing animated movie …

Always a good end to a relaxing weekend 🤗

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Chicken salad  with cranberries, toasted pecans, shallots over arugula.  Dressed with mayo, chipotle and lime juice. 

chxsalad.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Oven-roasted chicken thighs marinated with soy sauce, garlic, cumin, paprika, chilie powder, oil, and salt.

Eternal cucumber salad with lime, rice vinegar, fish sauce, thinly-sliced onion, red chilies, sugar, and salt.

Mrs. C microwaved some cilantro-lime rice with hers.

Chix_garlic_cukes_202307.thumb.jpg.fac305fbd5994b42a1eef3806bd0be2b.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Can't forget fish sauce! (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

12 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Eternal cucumber salad with lime, rice vinegar, fish sauce, thinly-sliced onion, red chilies, sugar, and salt.

What makes it "eternal"?  Does it seem to take forever to get through a batch? 😉

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I got home late yesterday so a quick dinner.

Microwaved 'baked potato' with feta and herbs with a sesame and black pepper tuna steak. Tomato, cucumber, orange and greens salad with a glass of pinot noir.

SesameandPepperTunaBakedPotatoandSalad.thumb.JPG.a2227451392c3374120fe17d678749f6.JPG

• Like 10

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

What makes it "eternal"?  Does it seem to take forever to get through a batch? 😉

Haha - not in our house.  😉

Cucumbers were one of the vegetables our boys would reliably eat when they were younger. My foodblog featured cucumbers so often that  Priscilla dubbed them "eternal":  :laugh:

I always appreciate the Eternal Cucumbers on your dinner posts . . .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1