• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

21 hours ago, heidih said:

Potato salad sounds good! I have had no decent corn in so long. Your ribs as always sure were excellent.

Thank you. I had some success brining the corn in a gallon of water with a half cup each salt and sugar.  It was grilled after a few hours.  The directions said to leave it in the brine for at least 20 minutes and  not to exceed 8 hours.  

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Tonight, I cooked spaghetti and meatballs from scratch. The meatballs were made with ground beef and pork, and I simmered them in a rich tomato sauce with garlic and herbs. I served it all over al dente spaghetti, topped with Parmesan cheese.
I forgot to take a picture because I was so hungry)

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Smithy said:

Remind us please about this side dish? My searches under @Mmmpomps' name don't turn up anything that looks like this.

Also, how do you do your potato salad? I'm on a potato salad binge right now. It might be time to revive the Potato Salad Cook-Off!

I don't have a link to her post, either, but I copied and saved exactly what @Mmmpomps said:

These are roasted spuds my Aunt in England showed me how to make: Preheat oven to 425 to 450.Peel whole potatoes, boil in salted water 4 to7 minutes until the outside is softened to about 1 cm in. Drain in the pot and with lid on shake the bejeebus out of the spuds to rough them up. Use a heavy pan..cast iron is great and pour VEGETABLE OIL *this is the secret to the crispiness* You can preheat the oil in the oven if you want. Then toss spuds in and coat them in the oil and salt aggressively. Cook 30 to 45 minutes until crispy brown, turning once.

My potato salad is pretty basic--I do the potatoes and eggs in the IP:  add a 1 1/2 cups of water to the liner.   Place basket (or whatever you use) in the hold the peeled, diced potatoes and eggs.  High pressure for 4 minutes quick release and open the lid.  Put eggs in cold water.  Peel eggs--sometimes I leave them in slices on top, sometimes I stir them in. Dump potatoes into a bowl.  Add diced onion, celery and pickle.  Salt, pepper.  Like @Norm Matthewssometimes I add some dry ranch dressing mix.  Yellow mustard and Hellman's or homemade mayo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Might be a while till I cook again. Exhausted me.

If I could get the takeout that you do at the price that you get, I don't know that I would ever cook again. Where I am it is extremely expensive and I have my choice of fried chicken, fried chicken, or fried chicken.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If I could get the takeout that you do at the price that you get, I don't know that I would ever cook again. Where I am it is extremely expensive and I have my choice of fried chicken, fried chicken, or fried chicken.

I understand completely but I like cooking and even the required shopping. And I miss it a lot. However standing up is too exhausting and very painful. Even slicing a bit of cheese to put on a cracker is a trial. I am recovering they tell me, but it's so slow.

• Sad 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I understand completely but I like cooking and even the required shopping. And I miss it a lot. However standing up is too exhausting and very painful. Even slicing a bit of cheese to put on a cracker is a trial. I am recovering they tell me, but it's so slow.

So sorry to hear this. If slow but steady recovery is the best your body can manage, then so be it. Just keep up the steady part. Take care! I agree that it's lucky you live where good take-out meals are available, but that only goes so far when you are feeling crummy.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I am recovering they tell me, but it's so slow.

I can understand what you're going through. Couple of years ago I smashed all the tendons, ligaments, and muscles in my upper left arm. I was cooking one armed for about 4 months and it never did completely recover but recover it did. When you're in pain time passes much slower than it does at other times. You just have to look at each small gain as milestone. Your first meal is a big one. I can remember when my biggest joy was being able to pull up my pants two handed.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I can remember when my biggest joy was being able to pull up my pants two handed.

Been there.

Right now my biggest problem is getting the oven door open. Haven't used it for nine months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Rotisserie chicken courtesy of Costco, served with sweet potato,  spinach sautéed with garlic, evoo and the same treatment for the mushrooms.

Sour cherry tart was made for July 4, a few slices left over made for happy campers.

IMG_3986.jpeg

IMG_3980.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OlyveOyl said:

Rotisserie chicken courtesy of Costco

OK, I finally have to ask: as someone who has not been to Costco, what is the deal with their rotisserie chicken ? I always thought it’s the “1€ IKEA hot dog”: something that is “ok-ish”, but not really good, yet - due to it’s rock-bottom price - somewhat unavoidable when you shop there. But many people reference it. Is it something you are actually looking forward to, because [insert reason here] ? This is really curiosity, no judgement involved …

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

OK, I finally have to ask: as someone who has not been to Costco, what is the deal with their rotisserie chicken ? I always thought it’s the “1€ IKEA hot dog”: something that is “ok-ish”, but not really good, yet - due to it’s rock-bottom price - somewhat unavoidable when you shop there. But many people reference it. Is it something you are actually looking forward to, because [insert reason here] ? This is really curiosity, no judgement involved …

They admit it is a marketing tool, loss leader, a draw you in thing. My dad & wife get it often and say "they sure know how to do flavor". I'll take the carcass for stock.. But there are concerns for me about their envirnmental and other practices. Its is easy, super cheap, and websites abound wth how to parlay it into a week's worth of lunches and dinners. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s a five dollar bird that is also pretty darn good!  Is it as good as the rotisserie birds at the markets in France, no, nor can you compare it to an organic bird.  The dark meat is delicious and juicy, the breast meat not quite as good as they are cooked to a higher predetermined temperature.  I probably buy 5/6 a year, generally spur of the moment.  This one came off the rotisserie as I was walking by, it has been dismembered and the carcass was put in the IP for stock. I never regret my purchase 😋

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

It’s a five dollar bird that is also pretty darn good!  Is it as good as the rotisserie birds at the markets in France, no, nor can you compare it to an organic bird.  The dark meat is delicious and juicy, the breast meat not quite as good as they are cooked to a higher predetermined temperature.  I probably buy 5/6 a year, generally spur of the moment.  This one came off the rotisserie as I was walking by, it has been dismembered and the carcass was put in the IP for stock. I never regret my purchase 😋

The late, great Toliver posted this a few years ago...

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Thank you both - really no judgement involved ! I buy “one” IKEA hot dog everytime I am there, and I never regret it either 🤗

I'll bet the hot dogs at the IKEA you shop at are better than the ones at any IKEA here!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The French have a phrase something like "Manger les yeux fermés", eat with your eyes closed.  Extrapolating to Costco rotis chicken, just pull it apart and suck the bones, wings first, then drumsticks.  Then slice the breasts.   Thighs go without saying, luscious.    Totally integrated from egg to rotis, Costco owns the farms or at least contracts to guarantee pretty decent quality and rock bottom price.    Reason for blind tasting, the backstory of socio-ecological cost.  Deal killer for some, but probably not much worse than most American big business foods, non-negotiable for some.     My guilty sin is judging it far superior to the properly sourced, minimally treated rotis bird I buy at my local private super, for 3x cost and 1/4 flavor.     Junkyard dog taste, here.   Don't have a Costco membership at this time since you can only subsidize so much rotis chicken.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Chicken Fish or Poulet as it's called on my Tropical Island.  I wrapped in banana leaf and onto the hot plate.

IMG_20230629_184548.thumb.jpg.d5fc6844eb3ac0f814943e2773237cc3.jpg

IMG_20230629_185030.thumb.jpg.56b5be7fab6ac5c512e7b3d4569baf75.jpg

My current location for a couple of months.😁

IMG_20230628_130458.thumb.jpg.86115ca512aa4f4a27e961961e830001.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Local market had decent looking paneer cheese so I made Saag paneer, a longtime favorite dish. Base of spinach, fenugreek, cilantro, and Chinese chives (basically anything green in the fridge), wilted with onion, garlic, ginger, and then pulsed in the blender. Cinnamon, cardamom, ginger matchsticks, coriander, garam masala, and fenugreek seeds fried in ghee. Stir in yogurt and simmer, then add paneer cheese and simmer. Finish with butter-fried dried red chilies and paprika.

Dried chilies (no idea what kind) were from an elderly neighbor who died last year.

Saag_paneer_202307-1.thumb.jpg.92e6e49c7c7f81eb0b64534559ec89c0.jpg

Turmeric rice with cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, and cinnamon, topped with Chinese chives

Saag_paneer_202307-2.thumb.jpg.5ebc7d4d91b359e122155493f7a987c4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Local market had decent looking paneer cheese so I made Saag paneer, a longtime favorite dish. Base of spinach, fenugreek, cilantro, and Chinese chives (basically anything green in the fridge), wilted with onion, garlic, ginger, and then pulsed in the blender. Cinnamon, cardamom, ginger matchsticks, coriander, garam masala, and fenugreek seeds fried in ghee. Stir in yogurt and simmer, then add paneer cheese and simmer. Finish with butter-fried dried red chilies and paprika.

Dried chilies (no idea what kind) were from an elderly neighbor who died last year.

Saag_paneer_202307-1.thumb.jpg.92e6e49c7c7f81eb0b64534559ec89c0.jpg

Turmeric rice with cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, and cinnamon, topped with Chinese chives

Saag_paneer_202307-2.thumb.jpg.5ebc7d4d91b359e122155493f7a987c4.jpg

Please send bowl of each.

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Chicken Fish or Poulet as it's called on my Tropical Island.  I wrapped in banana leaf and onto the hot plate.

IMG_20230629_184548.thumb.jpg.d5fc6844eb3ac0f814943e2773237cc3.jpg

IMG_20230629_185030.thumb.jpg.56b5be7fab6ac5c512e7b3d4569baf75.jpg

My current location for a couple of months.😁

IMG_20230628_130458.thumb.jpg.86115ca512aa4f4a27e961961e830001.jpg

Where is this.?