• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Two dinners; one not so pretty (but tasty):

IMG_9322.thumb.jpeg.86604ff643fc9979b6f80a98e0b6bfea.jpeg

Spareribs braised with fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soys, etc. etc.  These are baby back ribs, and I think this dish really is better with regular spareribs, which get chopped into smaller pieces, as one might see on a dim sum menu. I actually tried chopping these, but to no avail...the bones on baby backs are thick! Looked better plated with rice, but still tasty.

Last night:

IMG_9329.thumb.jpeg.51cea77dabf71d035ad4fd635e40ea79.jpeg

Japanese chicken curry, with the drumstick for me. Ramen noodles for me, and Significant Eater had rice.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Salmon croquettes with a smoked chipotle creole remoulade. 

Best use for the WildFork salmon fillets I'm not fond of. And yes, some scales. Seems a hasty half-a** attempt to remove them. Most were loose in the package but easily removed with a damp kitchen cloth. Removed the skin after poaching. Pup treats. --no pin bones.

IMG_6124.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

15 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Best use for the WildFork salmon fillets I'm not fond of. And yes, some scales. Seems a hasty half-a** attempt to remove them. Most were loose in the package but easily removed with a damp kitchen cloth. Removed the skin after poaching. Pup treats. --no pin bones.

IMG_6124.jpeg

That salad is a stunner. I like the radish sharp with the pea sweet.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I had some of WFork's wild shrimp and thought they were excellent.

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I had some of WFork's wild shrimp and thought they were excellent.

I did not want to repeat myself too much. I've been more than happy with WildFork across the board. This disappointment with the salmon is in a recent up-thread about the salmon. Not just me. Other have had similar issues. Scales and pin bones.

WildFork pork shoulder, lamb rack, the smoked duck breasts for example, and most of the seafood is excellent. As is the wild caught gulf shrimp. 

We need quick meals this time of year. We are planning a big road trip and the smoked duck breasts x six and many cheeses will travel with us. --and the over-stock of RG beans, --eye roll.  But I leave those beans for my Canadian friends we don't consume during our trip. Nice parting gift.

The smoked duck at 7 ounces for 8$ is two meals. A noodle bowl and next day tacos. We have a side wood fire smoker and an electric smoker. Having fully cooked smoked duck at such quality---win-win with so many house guests. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 12.02.20 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

i cut off and froze the thick part of the brisket I got for St. Patrick's Day and put it in the smoke today.  It turned out really well and took less time that I expected... 6 hours at around 225. It stalled out at 157 for an hour, but then I wrapped it in foil and it finished up an hour later.  

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

12 hours ago, dcarch said:

A quick and easy Mother's Day dinner...

2023Mothersdaydinnera.thumb.jpg.21092cd5bf258b44f65d7ec34d0dc105.jpg

A beautiful presentation and photo. Sounds delicious, too!

How did you like the mochi coffee ice cream?

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Cooked for a large family birthday dinner- 

IMG_5599.jpeg.f6515d547bb31c249ce5d6bce51cb469.jpeg

home made gravlax / garden sorrel sauce - smoked trout mousse w pickled ramps

IMG_5565.thumb.jpeg.5a49f7896b61d9600a82b3c1ef83555a.jpeg

i called this spring explosion- rarely do I make things that I think are amazing (some strange thing about your own food); but this was one of those rare occasions:  the liquid at its base is acorn stock, which has been infused with multiple layers over a number of days, primarily with smoked duck skin, asparagus ends and foraged dried mushrooms.  In it is foraged morels, asparagus, baby shiitake and smoked duck.

IMG_5580.thumb.jpeg.a127a1d001b3945c879d6a084b348ab8.jpeg

Deconstructed pizza risotto 

IMG_5597.jpeg.96b74e4a82b3ac66eaee3ad150e908a9.jpeg

forgot to take a pic before we hacked the manchego apart.

IMG_5594.jpeg.cbfb7ab7df9685a82eec249243b9eabd.jpeg

to wash it down

IMG_5588.thumb.jpeg.c65ec66be3d2b1c6e8ecd0068df29e12.jpeg

the ultimate dessert-  cloud cake 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

On 5/17/2023 at 2:27 AM, pastameshugana said:

A beautiful presentation and photo. Sounds delicious, too!

How did you like the mochi coffee ice cream?

Thanks. The mochi coffee ice cream tasted nice. My challenge was to fine a way to make mochi shaped into a little spherical ball. That was not successful because the dough was sticky and the ice cream was melting fast. So I took a shortcut and made mochi ice cream sandwiches instead. 

dcarch

• Like 3

On 5/17/2023 at 7:25 AM, Honkman said:

- Turkish comfort food - Plenty of fresh spinach cooked with ground beef, rice, onion, paprika and allspice in beef broth. Topped with yoghurt.

IMG_7496.thumb.jpeg.ea69ebf5bd6c2213b391f207b420af57.jpeg

That would be comfort food for me, too! I'm going to try to make it. I found a couple of recipes in English; neither one called for allspice or paprika but just looking at your photo I will use those ingredients. One recipe called for tomato paste. Would you ever use that? 

16 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Carbonara flatbread (niece is home from college for the summer)

carbonarapizza.thumb.jpg.b636f21110cede2818ea5c5938934065.jpg

Margherita flatbread for the rest of us

margarita.thumb.jpg.9ca8e3abef62e2107d9ef4510e05f2c9.jpg

Both look scrumptious. 

• Thanks 1

Thai red curry with squash and chicken.  I used two chicken breast halves that I sliced up.  One was tender as usual, one was incredibly tough.  Of course, you never knew what you were going to get until you put it in your mouth!  It was Bell and Evans chicken, and they were larger than I was used to from this brand.  I wonder if we finally experienced the dreaded wooden chicken? My niece and I both punted on eating the chicken after one bite of the tough stuff, but my sister and husband kept up a hunting expedition for the tender pieces.  Anyway, the squash, rice, and sauce was good!

thairedcurrychicken.thumb.jpg.123c69d1891a12615c41a686ada17d13.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

This was an experiment. Indonesian fish (mahi mahi) curry without a specific recipe, but with tomato and maitake mushrooms. Came out tasty. Now if I can only remember what I did!

PXL_20230519_001138279.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e236f88c83078e91ca68355e93491aa2.jpg

Ikan mahi mahi gulai.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

One was tender as usual, one was incredibly tough.

Interesting. When you look back do you have any sense, when you were cutting them up, that one was different from the other?

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/16/2023 at 7:51 AM, weinoo said:

Spareribs braised with fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soys, etc. etc.  These are baby back ribs, and I think this dish really is better with regular spareribs, which get chopped into smaller pieces, as one might see on a dim sum menu. I actually tried chopping these, but to no avail...the bones on baby backs are thick! Looked better plated with rice, but still tasty.

This is one of our favourite dim sum dishes.  Yours looks good.  I need to make it one of these days soon. 

• Like 1