• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Prime rib bone, cooked in the oven at 350F for an hour or so then 450F for 15 minutes.  Baked potato, microwaved for 3 minutes then cooked along side the ribs.  Snap peas.

beef-rib.jpg.4c0b2b0cb8a8d70dfe550d22a333ad4e.jpg

That really speaks to me … it the meat tender after the relatively short cook or has it some bite ? What kind of rub are you using ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

There is a restaurant in the border town of Nogales, Mexico, that does something like this (I'm sure it's common). For the table salsa, the server brings a cart with a selection of both fresh and roasted: Onion, garlic, various chilies, and tomatoes. You can select your ingredients or desired heat level, or let them make their own style,  and after a minute or two in a big stone mortar it's ready. Always delightful.

This place also serves everyone a hot 'shot' of spicy fish broth before the meal, which is also wonderful.

I believe the restaurant might be called San Marcos.

Sounds like an awesome experience.  Do they use oil as a flavour carrier, or just lime?

Spicy fish broth, sign me up!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Prime rib bone, cooked in the oven at 350F for an hour or so then 450F for 15 minutes.  Baked potato, microwaved for 3 minutes then cooked along side the ribs.  Snap peas.

beef-rib.jpg.4c0b2b0cb8a8d70dfe550d22a333ad4e.jpg

Also really great on the grill, and a favorite "cut."  Remembering when these were almost give aways by butchers!

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

That really speaks to me … it the meat tender after the relatively short cook or has it some bite ? What kind of rub are you using ?

I used a McCormick chicken rub.  The meat was pretty tender. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Our son is an osteopath, and he came up in the evening after work to give hubby a workout on a game leg. He hadn't had supper yet, so I was glad to have ingredients on hand for a quick meal for the three of us.

Spicy Shrimp and cheesy grits with some leftover corn                                                          

ShrimpGrits0236.jpg.de90891b6dd3b58e27b12fdd1fec9ced.jpg

Hunkered down with the dip in temperature for the next 3 or 4 days: -34C, windchill of -42.

Sous vide then seared  rosemary lamb chops. Air fryer chips and bell peppers, steamed asparagus and mint sauce.

SousVideLambChops0243(1).jpg.1bb53421ea887e5f13bbba883c8fc673.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

19 hours ago, TicTac said:

Sounds like an awesome experience.  Do they use oil as a flavour carrier, or just lime?

Spicy fish broth, sign me up!

There's no liquid other than what comes from the veggies themselves, it's very chunky. Probably more akin to a pico than a salsa I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Big sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_4001.jpg.83716c40fd0e356a90ac902da6efc8d5.jpg

Roasted chicken thighs

thumbnail_IMG_4002.jpg.3e709a3870ee6ee882bd74cf8b6af6da.jpg

Quesadillas to use up a bit of leftover prime rib.  Some pretty good tamales from Misfits to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_4013.jpg.6b0666d9f559ab00e73f4c593070eeef.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4014.jpg.119b148b2ce61a71b5471634a73aefa0.jpg

Roasted quail with spinach and a mushroom pasta thing that was really good and I'll never be able to replicate because I just threw stuff together lol.

thumbnail_IMG_4018.jpg.15284f8b3ebf18e74ab0a11192523ceb.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

12 minutes ago, RWood said:

Meze night. I found some really nice artichokes at Walmart of all places. Steamed then grilled with an herb aioli. Olives, feta, hummus and sourdough.

77CF1F63-3A62-47C4-96DE-FD318963880D.jpeg

D992A8B4-FF9E-46E1-A4D8-5303B229816C.jpeg

The artichoke raw is so perfect it almost looks fake!  When grill is going I also like to grill lemmon to add another dimension. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, heidih said:

The artichoke raw is so perfect it almost looks fake!  When grill is going I also like to grill lemmon to add another dimension. 

I know, I was surprised that Walmart had such nice ones. I never go there so was just lucky I found them. They were tasty too. It was 80F here today, so wanted to fire up the grill.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kayb said:

20230222_173647.thumb.jpg.6071b46b4b7764075e8d67fd46e06f49.jpg

If I were a food stylist, I would have cleaned up this plate before I took the photo. I am not a food stylist. And I was hungry.

I'm so hungry for lasagna...and yet have been too lazy to make it.  This looks wonderful.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kayb said:

20230222_173647.thumb.jpg.6071b46b4b7764075e8d67fd46e06f49.jpg

If I were a food stylist, I would have cleaned up this plate before I took the photo. I am not a food stylist. And I was hungry.

My lasagna always looks good when I take it out of the oven and I wait the requisite number of minutes before I cut into it and it falls apart and looks like the dog's dinner. Still tastes good. When I see it in the pictures set up by a a food stylist, it's always beautiful but it never looks like they cooked it enough. Yours looks wonderful.

• Like 3

Oven came in handy to add some warmth to the house. Windchill was around -32. Tonight -40C.

Stuck fresh rosemary under the skin and salted the skin before putting the bird into the fridge overnight.

Roasted beets with the chicken. Pan fried some Costco cauliflower rice and added some field greens salad.

RoastChickenBeetsCaul.rice0259.jpg.dae9c2ffe837b3c6b36de67d674eed8a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's non-tomato based pasta this week (goes better with chardonnay IMO)

So this is flavored chicken sausage with chili peppers, onion, chicken bouillon and sour cream. 

20230222_180030.thumb.jpg.b7f1c050b34291793f657ea316e75615.jpg

Not pictured is a glass of HDV Chardonnay Le Debut 2018

Edited by Raamo
Chili vs red... a bit of a difference. (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1