• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@MaryIsobelcongrats on your tortilla press.  If you have not made them before, I find it tricky to get the right amount of hydration so they peel off the plastic used while pressing them.  Somewhere here there is a thread on making your own and that’s where I found the perfect ratio.  300 grams Masa Hernia and 400 grams of warm water with a pinch of salt.  Mix and let sit for 20 min or so.  I then use about 35 grams dough per tortilla.

Good luck.  They are delicious.

Thank you. I had planned to search EGullet to hopefully save me same failed attemtps, so this is very helpful.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

We cataloged the inside freezer today and uncovered a bunch of stuff.  I took some leftover BBQ brisket and pork (butt and rib meat) from Mr. Kim’s last judging, some beef stock, and vegetables, tomato paste and made a stew with added potatoes, red wine, and pearl onions.  Mr. Kim took notes, so we created a new dish.  Of course, we’ll never be able to truly recreate it because so much of the flavor came from mystery contestants’ BBQ entries!  But now we have something to do with the leftovers of his tastings that he brings home.  The pearl onions and meats:

IMG_7882.jpg.a9b9f11c7adf00707a16bb17018a3e88.jpg

With the wine and some tomato paste:

IMG_7883.jpg.7e1e2fe51a3205847d207304339835ca.jpg

Served with some potato rolls:

IMG_7884.thumb.jpg.a73760c8c07656a1c1c06261a470808f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

A simple dinner, made good by high quality ingredients...

IMG_5941.thumb.JPG.813f142c4c593c42491f8785213c4d3f.JPG

Wild gulf shrimp, garlic, good olive oil, parsley, red chili pepper, splash of sherry vinegar. With a baguette and a salad.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Wild gulf shrimp, garlic, good olive oil, parsley, red chili pepper, splash of sherry vinegar. With a baguette and a salad.

More detail, please.   Gently sauteed?   Poached?   Serve warm or cool?    Any left for me?

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Balls

Beef and pork meatballs with chilli, coriander seed, shallot, fresh breadcrumbs and egg. Rustic fresh tomato sauce with onion and rosemary. Served with penne rigata because that was what I had. Picture taken prior to adding parmigiano-reggiano and black pepper

balls.thumb.jpg.b9c5a0e8342b78bafab0b083771d4709.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Corned beef sandwiches last night.  Homemade sauerkraut.  Shishitos from Misfits....not as good as the ones from the garden, but they'll do :)

thumbnail_IMG_1720.jpg.91a064010ff5f7623debedccf139e0dc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1721.jpg.3c4b3fb675b765e54d9226aebdaa78dd.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1722.jpg.269da577c4b0289daa2ca8869c773409.jpg

SIX French fries?.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

More detail, please.   Gently sauteed?   Poached?   Serve warm or cool?    Any left for me?

Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil (and maybe a schtickle of butter) with a tablespoon or two of nicely minced garlic. When garlic is golden, maybe add 1/4 cup white wine and let it cook off for a minute or two.  Add large, wild gulf shrimp (for this dish, I shell and devein them, and brine for a half hour) in one layer to bubbling cauldron. Turn over after 1 minute. Don't overcook the damn shrimp! And then throw a splash of sherry vinegar and a handful of chopped parsley atop. Serve hot right out of the cazuela. Lotsa baguette for dipping.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil (and maybe a schtickle of butter) with a tablespoon or two of nicely minced garlic. When garlic is golden, maybe add 1/4 cup white wine and let it cook off for a minute or two.  Add large, wild gulf shrimp (for this dish, I shell and devein them, and brine for a half hour) in one layer to bubbling cauldron. Turn over after 1 minute. Don't overcook the damn shrimp! And then throw a splash of sherry vinegar and a handful of chopped parsley atop. Serve hot right out of the cazuela. Lotsa baguette for dipping.

Thanks!   That works.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

30 minutes ago, RWood said:

Grandma style pizza. I’ve had to move indoors for pizza since there’s a windchill of 12F tonight ❄️❄️. My Ooni is on hold for awhile. 

I would think that's perfect Ooni weather!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

57 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Windchill only matters if you are a bucket of water or a TV weather bunny. 

Out here we don't have weather bunnies - we have Dallas  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Raines New term to me - I only know the bunny hill at the slopes

I did not grow up wit chicken fried steak - don't know that I have had a good one Low on the to be tasted list.

Small appliance dinner. Beets in the instapot cooked earlier in the day and reheated and finished with butter and balsamic and some lovely Maldon salt flakes that my daughter gave me for Christmas. Enormous sweet potato cooked in the toaster oven and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin done in the airfryer. No complaints. I did try to wipe that beet spot off the plate before the photo, but it wasn't budging.

IMG_6413.jpg

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

Out here we don't have weather bunnies - we have Dallas  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Raines New term to me - I only know the bunny hill at the slopes

I did not grow up wit chicken fried steak - don't know that I have had a good one Low on the to be tasted list.

We have weather bunnies and a short bald guy called Hurricane Schwartz. If I watched the news, Schwartz would be my guy. https://www.today.com/video/beloved-philadelphia-meteorologist-glenn-hurricane-schwartz-has-the-forecast-110045765706