• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

Country-style ribs was a cut I always used for char siu. The ones I get usually has a bone at the end. The cut, like mgaretz said is cut perfectly for char siu, a mix of fat and lean.
However, our Superstore no longer carries that cut, and no other store in our city carries that cut.

IIRC county-style ribs are cross cuts of Boston (or pork) butt. Around here pork butt is almost always available but country-style ribs come and go.

• Thanks 1

Ramen bowl with some of the mushrooms, pea shoots and cabbage from this week's CSA box, and a little bit of swordfish from our fish share.  We have been eating a lot of soups and noodle bowls lately so I bought some new oven proof bowls to keep things nice and hot while we are enjoying dinner but not so hot that the ingredients overcook.  

1154812539_ramensoup.thumb.jpg.8f7ece003720e3b958a4af51679285e0.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

I have been known to cut a fried fish sandwich in half and put tartar sauce on one half and cocktail sauce (or just catsup if not available) on the other. 😁

We ended up at our favorite Chinese-American restaurant last night.  I’ve talked about this place before.  If there is somewhere we consider “our place”, this is it.  We’ve been going since Jessica (now 37) was a toddler.  They remember us and treat us like friends.  It is in our larger neighborhood (only about 2 miles away – we’ve walked it) and we’ve spent the past almost 2 years ordering take out from them.  It was the first place that we dined in person once we felt comfortable doing that.  Jessica and I shared the Pu-Pu platter and shrimp fried rice:

IMG_7593.thumb.jpg.2dc6ff7c2a0a915d3f3234edfd141fde.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg.22fe2c314f69ab03c96791b2a1920a1a.jpg

Mr. Kim got Five Flavor Chicken:

IMG_7595.thumb.jpg.b96f3496accae9769da81fa7435078c1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

Last night: Pan-fried Pacific saury with turmeric rice, garlic, ginger, chilli, fresh green Sichuan peppercorns, lemon, Shanghai greens and mushrooms.

saury.thumb.jpg.9db2ff53d3a868589f3c6c583b59fb25.jpg

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

41 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Pantry quiche = eggs, creme fraiche, sauteed guaciale, mushrooms, green onion, green chiles, garlic, fresh goat cheese, parmesan.

More delicious than it looks.

Preceded by sliced pears, blue cheese, evoo, cracked black pepper.

I like your pantry

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

I may have gone off the deep end a little but.... Buffalo turkey wings done in the Ninja air fryer.

20211208_221609.jpg

Oh my - I saw them initially as crabs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Buffalo turkey wings done in the Ninja air fryer.

I had to look twice and then read the description because I was quite sure these were lobster claws!  Nice looking buffalo wings if only buffalo had wings. (Be careful what you wish for.)

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breaded pork chops with mushroom bacon gravy. Stir-fried veg and jasmine rice.

532567537_PorkChopsMushroomGravy5963.jpg.b3a6662d0acc5051ecddc5de52ac537e.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com