• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

Country-style ribs was a cut I always used for char siu. The ones I get usually has a bone at the end. The cut, like mgaretz said is cut perfectly for char siu, a mix of fat and lean.
However, our Superstore no longer carries that cut, and no other store in our city carries that cut.

IIRC county-style ribs are cross cuts of Boston (or pork) butt. Around here pork butt is almost always available but country-style ribs come and go.

• Thanks 1

Ramen bowl with some of the mushrooms, pea shoots and cabbage from this week's CSA box, and a little bit of swordfish from our fish share.  We have been eating a lot of soups and noodle bowls lately so I bought some new oven proof bowls to keep things nice and hot while we are enjoying dinner but not so hot that the ingredients overcook.  

1154812539_ramensoup.thumb.jpg.8f7ece003720e3b958a4af51679285e0.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

I have been known to cut a fried fish sandwich in half and put tartar sauce on one half and cocktail sauce (or just catsup if not available) on the other. 😁

We ended up at our favorite Chinese-American restaurant last night.  I’ve talked about this place before.  If there is somewhere we consider “our place”, this is it.  We’ve been going since Jessica (now 37) was a toddler.  They remember us and treat us like friends.  It is in our larger neighborhood (only about 2 miles away – we’ve walked it) and we’ve spent the past almost 2 years ordering take out from them.  It was the first place that we dined in person once we felt comfortable doing that.  Jessica and I shared the Pu-Pu platter and shrimp fried rice:

IMG_7593.thumb.jpg.2dc6ff7c2a0a915d3f3234edfd141fde.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg.22fe2c314f69ab03c96791b2a1920a1a.jpg

Mr. Kim got Five Flavor Chicken:

IMG_7595.thumb.jpg.b96f3496accae9769da81fa7435078c1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

41 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Pantry quiche = eggs, creme fraiche, sauteed guaciale, mushrooms, green onion, green chiles, garlic, fresh goat cheese, parmesan.

More delicious than it looks.

Preceded by sliced pears, blue cheese, evoo, cracked black pepper.

I like your pantry

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

I may have gone off the deep end a little but.... Buffalo turkey wings done in the Ninja air fryer.

20211208_221609.jpg

Oh my - I saw them initially as crabs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Buffalo turkey wings done in the Ninja air fryer.

I had to look twice and then read the description because I was quite sure these were lobster claws!  Nice looking buffalo wings if only buffalo had wings. (Be careful what you wish for.)

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breaded pork chops with mushroom bacon gravy. Stir-fried veg and jasmine rice.

532567537_PorkChopsMushroomGravy5963.jpg.b3a6662d0acc5051ecddc5de52ac537e.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com