• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!

liuzhou

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Mutter, mumble. Bring back flogging! A spell of conscription is what they need! Off with their heads!

I read this as constipation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

More boggling than the faux cheeseburger and/or its ingredients an entire generation willing to support this kind of content.    Worse, calling the creators "influencers".

I think we need to change our wording around here  regarding enabling to influencer 🙃

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

More boggling than the faux cheeseburger and/or its ingredients an entire generation willing to support this kind of content.    Worse, calling the creators "influencers".

Per the great Walter's sign-off "and that's the way it is"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For decades Chinese companies have been flogging these mechanically recovered meat ( MRM) sausage monstrosities. I call the sub-Spam like turds "train sausages" because for years they were the only food other than instant noodles you could buy on China's notoriously slow trains.

O1CN013w2tmo1b9K4FuXqik___2208512043422.thumb.jpg.ac4bac05a0ed243af8c44a5b7d1adc0c.jpg

Today, China has the largest high-speed train network on the planet. But the MRM sausages live on. In quality, they compare to Spam like Spam compares to prime Wagyu beef.

Now, someone has decided to "elevate" them by producing these crimes against humanity.

O1CN01knx2Zh28vIwgqIu38___725677994.thumb.jpg.94262b0fa9fe87098b064f3ea20c843a.jpg

I take this personally! My perfectly rational hatred of all things cØrn aside, what were they thinking?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

what were they thinking

At least in China they have the decency to wrap them in printed plastic that you know you have to remove. Here in Costa Rica they come wrapped tightly in transparent plastic. Anyone that's been here awhile knows better than to buy them but it is always funny to see the newcomers throw a package on the barbie and watch it go up in flames. The final result is a tube of inedible cereal and slime plastered all over with inedible burned plastic.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

At least in China they have the decency to wrap them in printed plastic that you know you have to remove. Here in Costa Rica they come wrapped tightly in transparent plastic. Anyone that's been here awhile knows better than to buy them but it is always funny to see the newcomers throw a package on the barbie and watch it go up in flames. The final result is a tube of inedible cereal and slime plastered all over with inedible burned plastic.

The plastic is the most nutritious and edible part!

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, haresfur said:

Link to Washington Post article that confirms my suspicions (probably pay-walled)

Here's the non-paywalled article

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

wonder what ' market ' or user Kelloggs  is aiming for :

1)  '''  INTRODUCING EGGO® GRAB & GO LIEGE-STYLE WAFFLES: A DELICIOUS NEW BREAKFAST FOR BUSY, ON-THE-GO PARENTS '''     ( their caps, not mine 

2)  '''  Eggo Grab & Go Waffles are individually wrapped and can be eaten at room temperature – they thaw in under an hour  ''

so , you have to plan ahead for that hour thus Grab & Go comes after some planning ahead ?

very odd.

This morning a new recipe appeared in my NYT in-box called "Sushi Bake." Aside from the fact that baked sushi is absurd  from the get-go, the recipe piles on one layer after another of incongruity and offense: imitation crab or canned tuna, cream cheese, an obscene amount of kewpie mayo, sriracha and diced avocado. To top it off? ONE THIRD of a cup of furikake. I assume it is new because there are no comments yet. 

Takeaway ideas are nearly impossible, unless you can't resist having your cream cheese on a bagel with a dusting of furikake. Oh, and don't forget the "eel sauce" whatever that is. I'm not providing a link because it may be behind a paywall for some, and also because no one should be handed this on a plate.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

@Katie Meadow 

for review purposes :

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1024357-sushi-bake?searchResultPosition=1

or if not available ' in your area '

for more review purposes :

''''   Sushi bake is essentially a California roll casserole in which the main ingredients of the popular sushi roll are layered, then baked for an easy comfort dish. This recipe uses imitation crab, but feel free to use real crab meat, or equal amounts cooked or canned tuna or salmon. Furikake, the Japanese seasoning mix, flavors the rice, while Kewpie mayo and cream cheese bind and add richness. (Both furikake and Kewpie mayo can be found at Asian supermarkets and online.) A final drizzle of sriracha mayo brings it all to life. Once baked, everyone can assemble their own atop seaweed squares with a variety of toppings. Don’t forget a side of tamagoyaki, and sweet and savory unagi, or eel, sauce for drizzling. ''

there is more , but I fear for my Copy and Paste .

• Sad 1

I saw that and was startled enough to click on it. The effusive praise the writer heaped on was nauseating, the concept bizarre, and kind of an insult to California. in 2023. We have had excellent sushi since early 80's in my experience. not such a mash-up of incongruity.

48 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

This morning a new recipe appeared in my NYT in-box called "Sushi Bake."

Pan Sushi Dynamite, a recipe in Sheldon Simeon's Cook Real Hawai’i, might be a similar concept. It doesn’t appeal to me enough to make it (though I’d try a taste if prepared for me) but was a very, very popular recipe when the online cookbook group I participate in cooked from the book. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 4:12 AM, haresfur said:

Did no one else reading that story follow up on the trove of bad ideas listed?  Fellow eGers, I give you: the Velveeta Martini, Mayo-nog, Oreo wine, Curly-fry vodka, and last, but not least, mustard Skittles.  

• Haha 4

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

Did no one else reading that story follow up on the trove of bad ideas listed?  Fellow eGers, I give you: the Velveeta Martini, Mayo-nog, Oreo wine, Curly-fry vodka, and last, but not least, mustard Skittles.  

Sounds like an episode of emmymade.  Which I LOVE.  

• 5 months later...

At first I thought these were for garnishing martinis - a bad idea.

Then I realised they were supposed to taste like gin & tonic and tasted one, confirming they are a very bad idea.

image.thumb.jpeg.8289ebaa666f5324cef4f80049bc1514.jpeg

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Actually, I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or a stroke of genius. A new fashion is erupting in southern China. 

冰淇淋 (bīng qí lín) means 'ice cream' with the first character meaning 'ice'.

Now they're substituting  (là) instead of   (bīng) and selling 辣淇淋 (là qí lín), hot (ice) cream.

It's your regular soft whip ice cream garnished not with sprinkles but Sichuan style chili oil.

Screenshot_20240327_020652_com.tencent.mm_edit_4570488841489.thumb.jpg.b711f42e4f4aef626da295c3b5c985d7.jpg

Screenshot_20240327_020654_com.tencent.mm_edit_4547676529514.thumb.jpg.a9493a656e401c366911f10cad0ddfdf.jpg

I'd try it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1