• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appetizer/Hors D'Oeuvre/Starter Ideas

Malawry

My mom used to do these as a pass around bit for dinner parties - with cocktails. I think just mayo and green onion thinly sliced. I have the recipe somewhere..

• 2 months later...

One of the "recipes" in Renee Erickson's Getaway is this one for Goat Cheese with Honeycomb, Chipotle and Salt served with charred tortillas or tortilla chips.

CCCAA542-EC5C-413D-AB19-23642E793937_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c5b5447fdef24b1a3dfc78a889412f9f.jpeg

The combo of warm charred tortillas, creamy goat cheese, smoky-hot chipotle and sweet honey is delicious and the delicate crispness from the bits of honeycomb make it special. 

Any flatbread, toasted for a bit of char would easily sub for the tortillas. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

One of the "recipes" in Renee Erickson's Getaway is this one for Goat Cheese with Honeycomb, Chipotle and Salt served with charred tortillas or tortilla chips.

CCCAA542-EC5C-413D-AB19-23642E793937_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c5b5447fdef24b1a3dfc78a889412f9f.jpeg

The combo of warm charred tortillas, creamy goat cheese, smoky-hot chipotle and sweet honey is delicious and the delicate crispness from the bits of honeycomb make it special. 

Any flatbread, toasted for a bit of char would easily sub for the tortillas. 

Definitely sounds like a winning combination!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 2:41 AM, Katie Meadow said:

Whatever Gabrielle Hamilton puts on a cracker I'll try at least once. She has a knack. Recently I read her "recipe" if you can call it that for fried saltines with dijon mustard, cheddar and white onion. You briefly fry saltines in oil until golden, let them drain and cool,  then spread a modest amount of mustard on, topped with a saltine sized slice of cheddar and a few wisps of thinly sliced white onion. Low-brow ingredients, high payoff! Of course she's absurdly fussy about all her combos, and in this case she instructs you how to cut the onion: in half-moons, not semi circles! We devoured them.

I was intrigued with the idea of fried saltines so I tried them, but topped mine with pimento cheese instead. Definite keeper.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I fried a sleeve of saltines this evening in sunflower oil with a bit of olive oil. They don't take long - so some where a bit (OK a lot) overdone. 

Topped with some old cheddar and a bit of something I found in the fridge which might have been red pepper chutney. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 8:11 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I fried a sleeve of saltines this evening in sunflower oil with a bit of olive oil. They don't take long - so some where a bit (OK a lot) overdone. 

Topped with some old cheddar and a bit of something I found in the fridge which might have been red pepper chutney. 

Does a fried saltine differ from a squared ritz?

On 7/10/2023 at 8:11 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I love the combination of aged cheddar (or aged gouda) with roasted red peppers, so I can see that working quite well.