Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No! No! No! Stop it! The bad ideas topic!


liuzhou

Recommended Posts

Best long before Easter

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hot-cross pizza buns seem an odd notion, but I guess I can't throw stones. Supermarkets up here haven't hit on that one yet, but they've started making hot-cross buns for every holiday, not just Easter.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

in th Food Movie thread 

 

there is aa fine movie documenting a 3 star French resteurant

 

that has had  start for possibly 50 years

 

in the words , a long time

 

they have heir own house champaign (s)

 

one vision has Sichuan pepper  added to the bottle.

 

and the restaurant has its own large garden and they grow

 

their own SP's  it was said theyngrwo well there in their location.

 

that version is quite popular their.

 

love to try a bottle.  or anything else from that restaurant.

 

maybe , or maybe not , their brains dish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Actually, I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or a stroke of genius. A new fashion is erupting in southern China. 

 

冰淇淋 (bīng qí lín) means 'ice cream' with the first character meaning 'ice'.

 

Now they're substituting  (là) instead of   (bīng) and selling 辣淇淋 (là qí lín), hot (ice) cream.

 

It's your regular soft whip ice cream garnished not with sprinkles but Sichuan style chili oil.

 

Screenshot_20240327_020652_com.tencent.mm_edit_4570488841489.thumb.jpg.b711f42e4f4aef626da295c3b5c985d7.jpg

 

Screenshot_20240327_020654_com.tencent.mm_edit_4547676529514.thumb.jpg.a9493a656e401c366911f10cad0ddfdf.jpg

 

I'd try it.

 

 

Not quite the same thing, but a few years back, Kenji wrote a recipe for Sichuan Chile Crisp Sundae With Peanut Streusel in the NYT. I made it and thought it was pretty good. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not quite the same thing, but a few years back, Kenji wrote a recipe for Sichuan Chile Crisp Sundae With Peanut Streusel in the NYT. I made it and thought it was pretty good. 

You're a woman of catholic tastes. Mostly I'm not fond of chile in chocolate, brownies or cookies. The exception for me would be pan forte, the sweetish concoction of fruit and nuts and cocoa with a hint of pepper. But just a hint. Peanuts and chile, by all means. Ice cream sundae with both, well, I might not even taste it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

You're a woman of catholic tastes. Mostly I'm not fond of chile in chocolate, brownies or cookies. The exception for me would be pan forte, the sweetish concoction of fruit and nuts and cocoa with a hint of pepper. But just a hint. Peanuts and chile, by all means. Ice cream sundae with both, well, I might not even taste it.

Long before the chili and chocolate combo became popular, I found a cut-out gingerbread cookie recipe that had a good amount of ground black pepper in it. This was long before the internet and apparently I didn't write down the recipe but now I always add finely ground black pepper to my gingerbread cookies. Makes the ginger more gingery if you will,

  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

 

Boxing day is the start of hot cross bun season

 

Perhaps but they print 'Easter' on the wrapper.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2024 at 10:16 PM, liuzhou said:

Actually, I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or a stroke of genius. A new fashion is erupting in southern China. 

 

冰淇淋 (bīng qí lín) means 'ice cream' with the first character meaning 'ice'.

 

Now they're substituting  (là) instead of   (bīng) and selling 辣淇淋 (là qí lín), hot (ice) cream.

 

It's your regular soft whip ice cream garnished not with sprinkles but Sichuan style chili oil.

 

Screenshot_20240327_020652_com.tencent.mm_edit_4570488841489.thumb.jpg.b711f42e4f4aef626da295c3b5c985d7.jpg

 

Screenshot_20240327_020654_com.tencent.mm_edit_4547676529514.thumb.jpg.a9493a656e401c366911f10cad0ddfdf.jpg

 

I'd try it.

 

 

I’d try it, too! I’m hoping you do…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I know I'm not their demographic but give me a break!

 

Heinz and Mattel join forces to create pink 'Barbiecue' sauce

 

and, of course, it's vegan.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...