• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Movies: The Topic

Peter the eater

Campbell Scott told me in an interview that he co-directed Big Night along with Stanley Tucci (they were high school classmates). It was his first directing experience, after acting for years. He said making Big Night was great fun but he found himself getting very impatient with Isabella Rossellini for no good reason other than all of a sudden as a director he wanted to hurry things along in each scene.  He was kinda mad at himself for being like that, especially since he vowed never to be like that when he was a director.

Anyway... Campbell directed another movie called Off the Map...which did not get much play at the box office but if you EVER get a chance to rent this on video or DVD do so!  It is just terrific and it does involve food in meaningful ways.  It stars Sam Elliott (like you've never seen him) and Joan Allen.

I saw "Off the Map" just before Christmas and have been telling everyone about it. Joan Allen is as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned. Sam Elliot and the young girl were also brilliant, but until you mentioned it, I did not connect this film with Big Night. Campbell Scott is 2 for 2 - what else has he done? Could I have read or seen your interview?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

There was a pretty much unremarkable film that came out in the 1980's called "Getting it Right". There are some fairly big names in the cast --Lynn Redgrave, Helena Bonham Carter, John Gielgud, to name a few --but the story line is a simple boy-who-lives-with-Mom-and-Dad-finally-meets-a-girl-worth-moving-out-for. The charm of the movie is the boy's mother, who is a lousy cook and knows it; that's why she won't eat her own cooking. There are at least a couple of really funny scenes involving food. One is when mom makes "Chicken Mole" (she pronounces it to rhyme with pole), and upon seeing the alarmed faces of her husband and son when they try it, she announces something to the effect of "The recipe called for unsweetened chocolate, and I didn't have any, so I used a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut Bar."

The movie's worth a look just to watch Mom make some really lousy food, and the family trying to be polite in their reactions.

1. Ho Mangiato il Hairpiece di Stanley Tucci; Italy, 2001.

2. Caligula (Producer's Cut); USA, 1979.

3. Wie Wasser für Chai; Holland/Germany, 2004.

4. Eating Raoul; USA, 1982.

5. Das Große Komischary; Germany, 1943.

6. Claire's Knee, Eric Rohmner; France, 1971.

7. La Grande Pouffe; France, 1973.

8. Eating Out Abroad; England, 1989.

9. Более Быстрый Pussycat, Убийство, Убийство!; USSR, 1953.

10: PBS/Nova: The Making of Dixon's Cider; USA, 2001.

Honourable Mention: Mea Gulpa; National Film Board of Canada, 1989.

I think you mean Bouffe and not Pouffe! Yeah, I found that one exhausting.

As for Caligula, I regard it as one of the all-time worst movies ever made. I put it the same group as "Plan 9 From Outerspace" and more recently "From Justin to Kelly".

But I will hunt down "Mea Gulpa", thanks.

Moe Sizlack

Food isn't this movie's main focus, but food and food places (restaurants, kitchens) seem to be a major factor in Moonstruck. Think of it-- the different scenes in the restaurant with Loretta and Rose, in Ronnie's kitchen when Loretta cooks a steak for him (and we know how THAT ended up!!), and the entire final segment in that WONDERFUL huge kitchen with the whole family there! That to me really demonstrates the heart of the family. I just looove that movie....

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

As for Caligula, I regard it as one of the all-time worst movies ever made. I put it the same group as "Plan 9 From Outerspace" and more recently "From Justin to Kelly".

No, I meant pouffe. Or perhaps spoof: Numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 and, before you go to too much trouble, the honourably mentioned "Mea Gulpa", are purely figs of my (inflamed) imagination. :wacko::biggrin: And by the way, what kind of philistine doesn't enjoy Caligula? Answer: A Philistine.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Not a movie, but I recall an episode of Upstairs Downstairs where the Prince of Wales visited Eaton Place; much of the action centered on Mrs. Bridge's preparations for a rather involved and sumptuous dinner.

There actually is an Upstairs Downstairs cookbook (o/p): Mrs. Bridges' Upstairs Downstairs Cookery Book.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I've only seen a handful of the movies mentioned, but if we are going into scenes that deal with food then i've got a couple:

- Annie Hall: The lobster scene. One of the funniest scenes in one of the funniest movies of all time.

- Spanglish: Thomas Keller is the man.

- Cocktail: Not food, but drink. Anyone know how to make a red eye?

- Ghost Dog: Way of the Samuari: The ice cream cart vedor is priceless.

- Willy Wonka/ Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Two movies that are devoted not only to chocolate, but also to the kid that loves chocolate in all of us.

- PCU: Never throw meat at a protest.

Thats all I can think of right now, though I'm sure there are many more.

Harlan

"Whatever doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger."

As for Caligula, I regard it as one of the all-time worst movies ever made. I put it the same group as "Plan 9 From Outerspace" and more recently "From Justin to Kelly"

No, I meant pouffe. Or perhaps spoof: Numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 and, before you go to too much trouble, the honourably mentioned "Mea Gulpa", are purely figs of my (inflamed) imagination. :wacko::biggrin: And by the way, what kind of philistine doesn't enjoy Caligula? Answer: A Philistine.

Well done - I will read your posts more carefully from now on, outloud if necessary. And I have just the oinment for your inflamed imagination. But I still don't get no. 5.

Moe Sizlack

301/302 is by far, a must see. The teaser I saw for it touted it as a comedy, which if viewed 3+ times it does become. Very dark, very fun.

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

I can't remember the title but I saw a Japanese (?) film in the mid-80s about a father who was a chef and his three daughters.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?

That would be Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, already mentioned upthread, directed by Ang Lee, a joint Taiwan/US production, if memory serves.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I just requested Off the Map and 301/302 from my local library system. Unfortunately, they don't have A Feast at Midnight, which sounds like a lot of fun. (Christopher Lee as V. E. Longfellow, aka Raptor!)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Duchess of Duke Street! It originally aired on PBS's Masterpiece Theatre in the late 70s, and the first series just came out on DVD last fall. It's excellent.

The Chinese Feast is another great one worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

A Chef in Love is fun, and although it got really crappy reviews, I really like the film version of Roddy Doyle's The Van.

Peter Greenaway always makes gorgeous films about appetites gone awry, and I think that The Belly of an Architect is one of his best.

The Triplets of Belleville for the endless frog feast!

Oh, and the newly-released Criterion edition of Burden of Dreams for the 20-minute short that documents Werner Herzog fulfilling a bet by cooking and eating his shoe.

And of course, Chef! and Faulty Towers.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

I can't remember the title but I saw a Japanese (?) film in the mid-80s about a father who was a chef and his three daughters.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?

That would be Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, already mentioned upthread, directed by Ang Lee, a joint Taiwan/US production, if memory serves.

Thanks!

La Femme du Boulanger (The Baker's Wife). A very and old and beloved French film about a great village baker (the only one in town) who refuses to bake when his wife leaves him for the local hunk. The town bands together to reunite the two so that they can get their bread back.

1. Ho Mangiato il Hairpiece di Stanley Tucci?; Italy, 2001.

9. ????? ??????? Pussycat, ????????, ????????!; USSR, 1953.

I'm curious, was " The making of Dixon Cider" about the apple orchard north of Santa Fe?

1. Ho Mangiato il Hairpiece di Stanley Tucci?; Italy, 2001.

9. ????? ??????? Pussycat, ????????, ????????!; USSR, 1953.

I'm curious, was " The making of Dixon Cider" about the apple orchard north of Santa Fe?

I think jamiemaw is toying with us. "Eating Out Abroad" and "The Making of Dixon's Cider" in particular sound suspiciously ribald. see post#64.

Moe Sizlack