• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice Storage Ideas

Anna N

12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

You asked for it.

I have a drawer full in the prep area.

The pantry is the main storage area.

A cupboard with spice mixes and plain spices.  I do have an inventory of the spice mixes with reference to which cookbooks they are from.

Then all the spices mixed in with all the other 'stuff' in the pantry.  Last picture:  spices stuffed in behind the beans section.

And they all need dusting.>:(

Wow, you have a complete set of spices, that's for sure! 

And you seem quite organized in many ways. It's just so many spices in those spots. You really need a dedicated spice pantry. A good-sized pantry, just for spices.   :)

Oh crap, I forgot about this drawer which houses a lot of spices vac sealed and which are duplicates of what is on the shelf.

I am trying to free up space in the drawers and shelves of the pantry so I can organize them better.  But, they are organized as best I can by country.  I have all my Mexican/s. American spices together; the Asian spices; the East Indian spices; Middle Eastern spices; regular spices and then the rubs.

DSC02355.thumb.jpg.639a64245ac28eb3d22f57e731955dc0.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Wow, you have a complete set of spices, that's for sure! 

And you seem quite organized in many ways. It's just so many spices in those spots. You really need a dedicated spice pantry. A good-sized pantry, just for spices.   :)

That would require building an addition to the kitchen!

I do cook a lot of different cuisines thus the array of spices.

We can't get good ethnic food out here in the sticks.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1

My mom put a double-decker lazy Susan (looks like this - click) in her spice cupboard. It works well to quickly zip through your spices to locate the one you need. One drawback is that you do have to move spice bottles to see the labels on the bottles in the interior of the lazy Susan. And large spice bottles won't fit on this obviously. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

21 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My spices are such a mess I cannot face it.:(

some good ideas here

https://www.wayfair.ca/dining/sb0/spice-jars-spice-racks-c246764.html

Yours look MUCH better than mine!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

:/

Just being a bit cheeky, sorry about that. But the glimpses of your kitchen and storage that I can remember seeing all seemed to show a very organized place! 

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

Just being a bit cheeky, sorry about that. But the glimpses of your kitchen and storage that I can remember seeing all seemed to show a very organized place! 

No no!  I was being funny back :)

It ain't so organized any more.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I store bulk herbs and spices much the same as @rotuts.

I store 'everyday' spices in 1/2 cup Rubbermaid containers—easy to open and close, easy scooping, and unbreakable!

They're heavy-duty—not thin plastic.

41dY4RBwx+L._SY355_.jpg

• Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

7 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I store bulk herbs and spices much the same as @rotuts.

I store 'everyday' spices in 1/2 cup Rubbermaid containers—easy to open and close, easy scooping, and unbreakable!

They're heavy-duty—not thin plastic.

41dY4RBwx+L._SY355_.jpg

How do you label them? On the jar or on the lid?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 minutes ago, Toliver said:

How do you label them? On the jar or on the lid?

Yes, I label them on the side.

They have the "Easy Find" lid so the lid snaps to the bottom when not in use so it's not easily lost.

You can also connect the containers when in use for convenience in storage.

FWIW, they're 2-5/8" tall and 2-15/16" wide at the widest point.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

And I guess they stack really well, yes? 

Yeah

16 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah

Thanks. Hmmm. I have a couple of these that came with a set of containers.  But to purchase them in quantity is not feasible. $50.50 for 8 on Amazon.ca

$50.00+13%tax\8 = $7 each.  For me it would be cheaper to buy all my spices in the little containers I mentioned above which come in at around $5 each filled with organic spices. Just saying. :)  

Still looking for a solution that will work for me.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. Hmmm. I have a couple of these that came with a set of containers.  But to purchase them in quantity is not feasible. $50.50 for 8 on Amazon.ca

$50.00+13%tax\8 = $7 each.

FWIW—Canadian Tire sells a 2-pack for $3.99.

Before the Rubbermaid containers I used Ball/Kerr 4 ounce or 8 ounce jelly jars (with storage lids)—similar in that you can scoop from them easily and they stack well.

They're relatively inexpensive here.

Walmart's Mainstay storage lids are less expense.

I do still use Ball jars as salt wells/'boxes'/cellars.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

Still looking for a solution that will work for me.

What type of solution might work, @Anna N? Are you trying to create storage in existing cabinets or a pantry or do you need to try and create all-new storage areas? I'm in the latter camp in this house. I don't have room for much in the cabinets and my pantry isn't as large as I would like and I don't have much wall space for racks or shelves, so have to try and create new storage. I could reconfigure my pantry but it was easier to buy the over-the-door unit and add the small rack on to the end of the cabinets. 

One thing I am considering for the other house is a spice rack I saw on Amazon. This spice rack was attached to the side of a fridge by one user, you can see his review  - it's the top review (don't arrange by date), by Adam S. He used some strong magnets to attach it to the side of a stainless steel fridge. I'd like to try that, or attach it to the wall. (More wall space in the other house) But if it worked on the fridge, it would give me some more space without having to buy any new containers. 

But maybe you just want some new containers? 

Edited by FauxPas
to replace quote that disappeared (log)

57 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FWIW—Canadian Tire sells a 2-pack for $3.99.

Before the Rubbermaid containers I used Ball/Kerr 4 ounce or 8 ounce jelly jars (with storage lids)—similar in that you can scoop from them easily and they stack well.

They're relatively inexpensive here.

Walmart's Mainstay storage lids are less expense.

I do still use Ball jars as salt wells/'boxes'/cellars.

Thanks.  Still not quite the solution I’m looking for. Not sure exactly what it is I am looking for.  I have a lot of spices. Not quite so many as @Okanagancook but very close. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog