• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dscheidt

I need a toaster

I need a toaster.  Not a toaster oven.  Not a steam oven.  Just something to, you know, make toast, and toast a bagel occasionally.  Two slots.   Not a million bucks, and not huge.  What's good in current production? 

That's a deceptively simple request, isn't it?

I bought and returned about a dozen at different price points before settling on my current one. It's Calphalon-branded, and God only knows who actually makes it for them. Working well for the...uh...five? six? years I've owned it.

Not what you are asking for, but I usually just throw a couple slices in a pan on the stove top.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dscheidt said:

I need a toaster.  Not a toaster oven.  Not a steam oven.  Just something to, you know, make toast, and toast a bagel occasionally.  Two slots.   Not a million bucks, and not huge.  What's good in current production? 

Could you be more specific about "not a million bucks?"

Wirecutter liked the Breville BTA720XL, but it's expensive for a toaster ($79.90), unless you don't mind "major cosmetic damages but still usable," which is $44.77 from Amazon. For a cheaper toaster, they liked Cuisinart ($31 at Amazon).

Do you live near a Goodwill or similar resale shop? Regular toasters are frequent visitors. For $5 or so, it's worth the gamble. In fact, if you bring some bread with you, they should let you try it out before you buy. And with luck, you might find a very cool vintage Sunbeam.

• Like 3

I use a vintage T-20 toaster. They are awesome for toast, but suck for bagels...the slot isn't wide enough.

We all need a toaster. Even those of us who already have more than one. I have spent a disproportionate amount of time in my life thinking about toasters. The old Sunbeams I used to find at Goodwill worked great for a few years, then kicked the bucket. The perfect toaster is the one that doesn't cost much and works for a few years. And that is still elusive. I will never give up on toasters and it will be a cold day in hell when I allow a toaster oven on my counter. 

When it comes to toasters, I have now determined that the great is the enemy of the good, at least for those of us who don't have a vast collection of vintage beauties. My only recommendation is this: if you buy a new toaster get one with a bagel button. That means the slot will only heat on one side. Not only does this work for bagels but it gives your toaster a Plan B. When your toaster starts to act up, burning one side of the toast or undercooking one side, the bagel button can be a  corrective and a life extender. Oh, and one other thing. Any toaster that brags about its ability to cook fast should be avoided. Cooking fast is never a good thing when it comes to toast. Slow and steady wins. Morning is golden.

• Like 2

Sorry, the devil made me do it......

Edited by wabi (log)
  • Haha 1

I review stuff for Amazon, including appliances and I recently received one of these Vestaware  toasters and was very impressed with it.  Very reasonable price.

I have loads of toasters, having collected vintage ones for 40 years as well as a few unusual more recent models.

I currently use a Magimix see-through which only has one long slot and was very expensive but I had a gift card.

The Vestaware toasts more evenly than the one that cost 5 times as much.  It has the BEST Defrost that I have ever found.

The slots are extra wide and a fat bagel sliced in half will fit, as will double wide bread slices.  I even stuck a smallish frozen croissant in it and it fit - one of the Costco 3/4 size.  It's easy to clean.  

They have a 1 year refund or replace warranty.  

P.S. I also used one of the toaster bags with a grilled cheese sandwich and it worked perfectly.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4

I've a breville button one, like the version suggested above but the buttons are on top no on the side. 

Best damned toaster I've ever had! Can even do crumpets (just the one element on to toast the top but not the bottom) 

And it's quiet, it doesn't pop and I've had it almost 2 years now and been happy with it. 

It just aint the cheapest but its not a million bucks

On 3/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, wabi said:

I use a vintage T-20 toaster. They are awesome for toast, but suck for bagels...the slot isn't wide enough.

E, wabi:

Dakine advice.  The T-20 is the one to have if you don't need capacity for thick.  Safer, too.

Aloha!