• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO a very simple toaster oven

Twice in two days Ed brought home a Breville toaster oven, the same model we've had for years since 2017 to be exact.  It's not an air fryer or a steam oven....it just is a small oven.  

Twice in a row, from Canadian Tire, the Brevilles have been basically garbage....the pre-warming bell rang out that the temperature was 390....and both my oven thermometer and my friend's oven thermometer said...I don't think so....it's more like 225 degrees.   That's two duds from one store.

What should we buy now?  I'm desperate without my toaster oven for small cakes and brownies and you name it.  That Breville performed like a champion for 7 years.  And then, of course, it didn't.  

Should we buy a Breville from some other store?  Assuming we can find another store in our small city which carries them.  They certainly are not expensive but they do outcost many other brands,  like Black and Decker and also they are big enough to fit a 12" x 9" pan, just  what I need...or an 8" cake or a regular pizza.  

Give me your best shot please. 

DSC04121.thumb.JPG.0ed723447cce6f32077068d4ab748d4e.JPGphoto from box

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

5 hours ago, Darienne said:

Twice in two days Ed brought home a Breville toaster oven, the same model we've had for years since 2017 to be exact.  It's not an air fryer or a steam oven....it just is a small oven.  

Twice in a row, from Canadian Tire, the Brevilles have been basically garbage....the pre-warming bell rang out that the temperature was 390....and both my oven thermometer and my friend's oven thermometer said...I don't think so....it's more like 225 degrees.   That's two duds from one store.

What should we buy now?  I'm desperate without my toaster oven for small cakes and brownies and you name it.  That Breville performed like a champion for 7 years.  And then, of course, it didn't.  

Should we buy a Breville from some other store?  Assuming we can find another store in our small city which carries them.  They certainly are not expensive but they do outcost many other brands,  like Black and Decker and also they are big enough to fit a 12" x 9" pan, just  what I need...or an 8" cake or a regular pizza.  

Give me your best shot please. 

DSC04121.thumb.JPG.0ed723447cce6f32077068d4ab748d4e.JPGphoto from box

Are you sure you and the oven are speaking the same temperature scale?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Just preheat it longer. Breville’s smart ovens are real dumb about thinking they’re up to temp. They just lie about it. 

Yup.  I've had two and they both needed longer pre-heats.  So does the CSO.

Edited by ElsieD
rrected an auto-correct which did not make senee (log)

My guess is that the thermostat probe heats up pretty quickly, as opposed to the oven interior itself.  Similar to regular sized ovens; I always preheat the small oven for a good ten minutes, the large oven for 30.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've had the Smart Oven since 2017-18, and apart from the fan for the convection going out, it's given me good service. I've never checked the oven temp.  I just set it for the temp/time called for and the results have been pretty close to spot on. Just small adjustments here and there as with any oven.

• Like 2

... Shel