• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

On 6/5/2023 at 9:51 AM, heidih said:

Reminds me of the Boston Baked Beans we got as kids fom those slip a nickel in and turn the dial next to the gumball machines.  https://nuts.com/nuts/peanuts/bostonbakedbeans

Oh yeah, I remember those vending machine Boston Baked Beans. I hated them. It's a mystery to me why these sweet candied peanuts are called Beer Nuts. I prefer salted nuts with my alcohol. But then go to a ballgame and there's usually someone nearby ordering cotton candy while they have a half-cup of beer still in their paws. 

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, heidih said:

I gave myself permission to get some chips when I went to market today if semi reasonable price. Ended up with this Lay's Cuban. Very odd but oddly addictive. The chemicals they used to mimic pickle and ham???? bit jarring at first. Won't buy again but an adventure.

IMG_1939.jpg

I found a small bag of these yesterday at CVS and grabbed them.  Friends of ours tried them recently and had mixed feelings.  They agreed with you that they most likely wouldn't ever bother to buy them again.  We'll have a family tasting soon.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

Referring to the posts about VA Peanuts

Hubb's

I was enabled into buying these not realizing that I would be delving into depravity.

Well I am happy that you enjoy them. I am contemplating an order myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I recommend you at least add some leafy greens and an occasional piece of fruit!

I love them so my M-O is to have a custard cup of snacking cherry tomatoes next to the bowl of nuts. ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Through July 4th

25% off through Tuesday July 4th, 2023

Use Promo Code: Fireworks

Standard Shipping Only in Continental USA

Hubbs Peanut Company

800 889 7688

Edited to add:

The special is only for this selection.

So the 25% off does not include the regular salted peanuts?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Not at all ready to pull the trigger, but I found the Hubs website shipping info very elusive. Can anyone here tell how much they paid for shipping?

Was about to order exmple  w/ Prime  https://www.amazon.com/Hubs-Salted-Virginia-Peanuts-Pack/dp/B01M00ZHJJ

I wonder if the peanuts are fresher if ordered directly from Hubs rather than from amazon?

Edited to add:  snacking on nuts.com Jumbo Virginia Peanuts at the moment.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

26 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wonder if the peanuts are fresher if ordered directly from Hubs rather than from amazon?

Edited to add:  snacking on nuts.com Jumbo Virginia Peanuts at the moment.

They are in a tin that is well sealed. Like a paint can.  They provide a tool. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:18 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Oh yeah, I remember those vending machine Boston Baked Beans. I hated them. It's a mystery to me why these sweet candied peanuts are called Beer Nuts. I prefer salted nuts with my alcohol. But then go to a ballgame and there's usually someone nearby ordering cotton candy while they have a half-cup of beer still in their paws. 

Boston Baked Beans and Chicken Bones were my Dad's favourite candies. In his twilight years, my sisters and I went to great lengths to make sure he always had both.

Chicken Bones: https://www.idahospud.com/products/oldfashbagchickenbones4oz#:

When he once reminisced about toasted coconut covered marshmallows, I learned to make them from scratch and those were my go-to gift for him for every occasion. Funny story, just after my Mom died and Dad still lived independently in a gated seniors community, he was outnumbered by women and thus had a lot of female friends. He passed his marshmallows around and bragged that his daughter had made them. He called me and said "the ladies want to learn how to make marshmallows, will you teach them?" I said I would but as soon as they learned there was a thermometer involved they said they would rather just buy them from me. At the time I had a full time job, a one hour commute twice a day and two teenagers who were in several activities. I told Dad I would have to charge 100.00 a pound, so the idea was dropped. I continued to make them for Dad until his last days.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Boston Baked Beans and Chicken Bones were my Dad's favourite candies. In his twilight years, my sisters and I went to great lengths to make sure he always had both.

Chicken Bones: https://www.idahospud.com/products/oldfashbagchickenbones4oz#:

Those are very different from the candy sold here under the same name, mainly by NB-based Ganong but also by NS-based Robertson's. The local version is cinnamon candy with a chocolate center (ie the "marrow"). This kind date from 1885.

https://ganongchocolatier.shop/products/chicken-bone

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 hours ago, chromedome said:

Those are very different from the candy sold here under the same name, mainly by NB-based Ganong but also by NS-based Robertson's. The local version is cinnamon candy with a chocolate center (ie the "marrow"). This kind date from 1885.

https://ganongchocolatier.shop/products/chicken-bone

Those remind me a great deal of a Zagnut candy bar, without doubt my favorite candy bar in the world.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

I bough a couple cans of the Hubbs a while back and enjoyed them very much even though I found them quite addictive.  

Last week I saw that Kirkland has the VA peanuts as well so I decided to give them a try.  Imagine my surprise when I found them to be exactly the same!

My guess is that Hubbs supplies them.

So, unless your taste is significantly different than mine, save yourself a few bucks and buy the from Costco or Amazon.

• Thanks 1