• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

绿茶佛饼 (lǜ chá fú bǐng)

These popular cakes are made from glutinous rice, green tea and toasted sesame seeds. The one on the right is upside down to show you the bottom.

Approximately 6.5 cm / 2½ inches in diameter. I had them delivered and they arrived still oven warm. There wer eight in total. $0.33 USD each.

Greenteacakes.thumb.jpg.42394ad1f6f2030d475473b99a9badc3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

One of my favourite snacky things is 牙签牛肉 (yá qiān niú ròu), literally 'toothpick beef'. Beef tenderloin is thinly sliced and cut into roughly 3 x 5 cm / 1¼ x 2 inch pieces. These are marinated overnight in soy sauce , Shaoxing wine, with flaked chilli, cumin powder, Sichuan peppercorns and crushed garlic.  Next day, the pieces of meat are threaded onto pre-soaked toothpicks and briefly fried in a wok. The beef cooks almost instantly. After draining the beef, they are tossed in more chilli (if required) and sesame seeds, then served.

This originated in Sichuan but is now available all over. Some supermarkets sell them ready made, but most people make them from scratch. It's important not to overcook them, something no one has apparently told he supermarkets.

Great for snacking or finger food at a buffet - or beer food.

yachenniurou.thumb.jpg.13a00610b4944de44e242012917d4123.jpg

• Like 1

Not perhaps so much of a snack, but I'm eating them now. Something to sweeten the swallow.

Himalayan salt mint candy - lemon flavour.

Small candies (18 mm diameter) for the sucking of. Actually rather pleasant, the lemon and salt contrasting nciely. Can't taste mint, though.

Despite all the English, the packaging says they are made in Malaysia exclusively for the China market.

Himalaya Salt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Tibetan Cheese made from Yak Milk.

tibetancheesetrianglesplate.thumb.jpg.4e43bf47aa8632368f3c2a11fc9105e0.jpg

Is the flavour comparable to a cheese that a Canadian might be familiar with? Are there different types of Tibetan Cheese made from Yak Milk?

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Is the flavour comparable to a cheese that a Canadian might be familiar with? Are there different types of Tibetan Cheese made from Yak Milk?

The taste is mild and rather sweet. Sweeter than any cheese I've encountered in the west. In fact, in Tibet it is eaten like we might eat candies / sweets. Yet it remains recognisably cheese. Yes, there are a number of yak cheeses, one of which, tastes like Limburger.

Yak milk is a staple in Tibet and is used for cheese, yoghurt and butter, which is used in yak butter tea.

Yak meat is also important in the cuisine.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The taste is mild and rather sweet. Sweeter than any cheese I've encountered in the west. In fact, in Tibet it is eaten like we might eat candies / sweets. Yet it remains recognisably cheese. Yes, there are a number of yak cheeses, one of which, tastes like Limburger.

Yak milk is a staple in Tibet and is used for cheese, yoghurt and butter, which is used in yak butter tea.

Yak meat is also important in the cuisine.

Thank you I have never had the opportunity to try yak cheese. Interesting that it is somewhat sweet.

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Would like to be snacking while eGulleting.  This afternoon I received a shipment of Hubs peanuts.  How does one open the can?

See the little metal dohicky taped to lid - you use that to pop off - like a paint can.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, heidih said:

Or a flat head screw driver like a paint can

I was afraid the doohickey would hurt my hand.  Flat head screwdriver worked just fine.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Rushing the season, I know, but I couldn't resist:

IMG_4129.jpg.1974c84b20d7c96bb2c2e7c6f7ed0293.jpg

I know...lt's just me, but you couldn't pay me enough to eat candy corn!  It tastes like candle wax.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I know...lt's just me, but you couldn't pay me enough to eat candy corn!  It tastes like candle wax.

Lots of people don't like it, but we love it.  Especially a truly fresh bag.  And a handful of candy corn mixed with roasted peanuts is amazing.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Lots of people don't like it, but we love it.  Especially a truly fresh bag.  And a handful of candy corn mixed with roasted peanuts is amazing.  

You are a cheap date! I'm afraid to ask what you drink with that. 

• Haha 4

Not my thing. Has anyone tried lighting them?  My ex loved a fresh bag, but he also loved Circus Peanuts!    On the corn - I do see the possible appeal with the noted peanuts.

36 minutes ago, heidih said:

Not my thing. Has anyone tried lighting them?  My ex loved a fresh bag, but he also loved Circus Peanuts!    On the corn - I do see the possible appeal with the noted peanuts.

Fake banana flavoring is my nemesis.  I cannot stomach anything with it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Fake banana flavoring is my nemesis.  I cannot stomach anything with it.  

Real bananas are bad enough. When my daughter was little she was prescribed Augmentin. I used to gag just opening the bottle. That was like fake fake banana flavor.

47 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Real bananas are bad enough. When my daughter was little she was prescribed Augmentin. I used to gag just opening the bottle. That was like fake fake banana flavor.

I adore bananas and miss them a LOT being on a low potassium diet, but banana flavoring is horrid to me.  It's like fake rose fragrance.  I'll never forget a family member who used a "rose" scented air freshener years ago.  I used to try to hold my breath the entire time I had to be in her bathroom!  

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

I adore bananas and miss them a LOT being on a low potassium diet, but banana flavoring is horrid to me.  It's like fake rose fragrance.  I'll never forget a family member who used a "rose" scented air freshener years ago.  I used to try to hold my breath the entire time I had to be in her bathroom!  

Join the club! I worked in an office once where an admin plugged in a pumpkin spice one that was gag sweet. Went around her and got rid of it.  As to snacks - I am so loving my wasabi peas that my self control has left the building. I've been forcing myself to alternate a few with a cherry tomato to balance things out;

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Good to know that if your electricity goes out on Halloween you can light a pile of candy corn. Also advisable to take a bag with you camping, in case all the available wood is wet. Just don't go camping with @Kim Shook. She will eat them all before the rain starts falling.

And by the way, Kim, I'm sorry to hear about your potassium issue. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still picking the odd strawberry from my plants, a pear from a friend's tree and some Danish blue. Shorter days make me feel a bit blue, but I do love the colour in the trees, the crisp mornings but warm afternoons, etc. 

PXL_20230918_191124223.thumb.jpg.fdd0e88e6cb8fdf4018794605000f7e8.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Still picking the odd strawberry from my plants, a pear from a friend's tree and some Danish blue. Shorter days make me feel a bit blue, but I do love the colour in the trees, the crisp mornings but warm afternoons, etc. 

PXL_20230918_191124223.thumb.jpg.fdd0e88e6cb8fdf4018794605000f7e8.jpg

Shorter days make me feel a bit blue, but I do love the colour in the trees, the crisp mornings but warm afternoons, etc. I can relate to that blue feeling even though fall is my favourite season. I have turned my attention back to making bread and baking a whole lot more treats than we need!

• Like 5