• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I can report the nuts.com jumbo Virginia peanuts are much improved tonight.  My mai tai is not bad either.  I fear some of the drugs I'm taking may be messing with my sense of taste.  The pills certainly give me a dry mouth.

Good on taste. The booze/drug combo....

• Like 1

All this peanut talk sent me in this direction.

Redmudpeanuts.thumb.jpg.f39f17b6f5b3ef19bfd5a1ce9fa6fd50.jpg

红泥花生 (hóng ní huā shēng) - red mud peanuts - my favourite.

These have been “cured” by being buried in a muddy red paste of unidentifiable ingredients then baked until the shells turn red and the ‘nuts’ take on a pleasant earthy taste.

Redmudpeanuts2.thumb.jpg.98792bdf03dab598a536628e6646d7b8.jpg

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Am I hallucinating? Nuts.com sells 16 oz of jumbo salted VA. peanuts for $4.99. Hubs sells 20 oz of same for $27.95. ?

Good question.

14 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Am I hallucinating? Nuts.com sells 16 oz of jumbo salted VA. peanuts for $4.99. Hubs sells 20 oz of same for $27.95. ?

The Hubs are different. I originally received them as a Christmas gift from a neighbor. I was so hooked I ordered 2cans for myself when they ran out Got them again this past Christmas from him. Close to ordering again. The salt is in the nut versus a coating. Their process results in a unique taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mentioned yesterday that the red mud peanuts were my favourite, but I lied. They are my second favourite. Today, I bring my true favourite.

酒鬼花生 🥜 (jiǔ guǐ huā shēng), drunkard's peanuts or as I prefer to call them, beer nuts, even though I no longer drink beer. They are salted roasted peanuts with chilli. Highly addictive. Here they are in one of my coconut shell bowls.

BeerNuts.thumb.jpg.d8df2a9142c6f0ac9f59e96b4aade9a8.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I prefer to call them, beer nuts

I am not a fan of peanuts but for many years I did enjoy a product that was sold as beer nuts. These were peanuts with a candy coating as I recall so sweet rather than salty. I can't seem to find them anymore. Although they do appear to be available somewhere. 
Here  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

I remember those nuts !

salt and sugar right there !

and deliciously crunchy , but not oily

w the ancient advent of 

' dry roasting '  nuts 

you might find a similar item 

' dry roasted peanuts w a delicious sweet coating '

https://www.planters.com/product/planters-honey-roasted-dry-roasted-peanuts-16-oz-jar/

or others .

' Planters '   may have been SF based 

a lot time ago

going on the ' 101 ' to SF

in the mid to later '50's 

if not beyond 

when the car turned to the R , negotiating a hill

then San Francisco was displayed right i9n front of you

there was a large Planters sign , large 

that welcomed you to The City.

liked that Mr Nut , had a waling stick .

that's culture , right there .

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am not a fan of peanuts but for many years I did enjoy a product that was sold as beer nuts. These were peanuts with a candy coating as I recall so sweet rather than salty. I can't seem to find them anymore. Although they do appear to be available somewhere. 
Here  

Here you go - Picard's

Trophy makes toffee butter peanuts which I think is the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

Ill just add this :

the Beer Nuts Ive had in the past 

possible w beer , or not 

had the skins still on the Nuts.

as i recall 

thus ,based on the ' beer ' or its equivalent 

required 

those skins were dealt with later .

left between the teeth . teeth 

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

or others .

Thanks. I was able to source a similar product from Amazon.ca called Yupik. It was probably not a wise move given my dental situation!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Amazon

BEER NUTS Original Peanuts - Travel Size Sweet & Salty Roasted Bar Nuts - Gourmet Glazed Cocktail Nut - Gluten-Free, Koshe...

$78+. 

• Sad 3

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I hope that was for a case of 12!

🤣

Don't think so. Click.

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I was able to source a similar product from Amazon.ca called Yupik. It was probably not a wise move given my dental situation!

I had a couple of handfuls and oh they were so good and then my brain kicked in. Was I wiiling to risk $1000+? That's what it would cost me if I managed to break my plate one more time. I gave them away to somebody who has a full set of teeth. Damn. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I hear your pain but throw out that a full set of teeth is a dubious brag.    I have all 32, and they are just as much pain to maintain as their counterfeits.    Stuff getting in between, multiple flossing, fear of cracking an old molar, etc.   But, no, I'm not trading them in soon.   And, yes, like you, I think about  what I'm chomping down on.

eGullet member #80.

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here  

We do get something similar here but they are not called 'beer nuts', instead being given the non-alcoholic and more attractive name 鱼皮花生 (yú pí huā shēng), 'fish-skin peanuts'. These contain no dermal material from limbless cold-blooded vertebrate animal with gills and fins living wholly in water, but are roasted peanut kernels with a coating made from glutinous rice and wheat flours, sugar, salt and various additives (tartrazine E102, Allura red AC (E129)and vanillin).

FishSkinPeanuts.thumb.jpg.b4ff2c0cf19f3494c08fd31843a20aa1.jpg

We also get 'milk peanuts' sensitively labelled as 'old lady peanut bag milk flavored nuts roasted beer partner' in a direct translation of the Chinese! These are not sweet but contain peanut kernels, salt, star anise, and cinnamon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I had a couple of handfuls and oh they were so good and then my brain kicked in. Was I wiiling to risk $1000+? That's what it would cost me if I managed to break my plate one more time. I gave them away to somebody who has a full set of teeth. Damn. 

My mom's osteoporosis is bad enough that she could actually break her jaw on an extra-crunchy nut (or apple, or...). So yeah, she's extra-circumspect. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When I mentioned the spicy beer nuts above, I was down to my last packet which soon went so I ordered some more. They arrived today. These ones are  from Sichaun and are H-O-T. Much more than my usual brand and also have Sichuan peppercorns in 'em. This is not a complaint; I am defecting to their side with immediate effect.

593cab10-417b-49ae-b424-9bac834c708d.thumb.jpg.b0ec5cefd7addd9f3500273c34426b8c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gave myself permission to get some chips when I went to market today if semi reasonable price. Ended up with this Lay's Cuban. Very odd but oddly addictive. The chemicals they used to mimic pickle and ham???? bit jarring at first. Won't buy again but an adventure.

IMG_1939.jpg

• Like 5