Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)


Toliver

Recommended Posts

AC89882A-E7BA-456E-861D-53BAEF66B54B.thumb.jpeg.64b95b19644b5a8789f6889b40e6b972.jpeg

 

Surprisingly good. Marinated artichoke hearts and kimchi. 

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve been snacking on this stuff for three days and still haven’t definitively decided if we really like it or not:

1-IMG_2416.jpg.71157ff4b1f85670cbc8ed5ba3eaea66.jpg

By and large, we do.  But every so often there’s some funny back flavor (the kind you only tastes when you exhale after a bite) that makes us wonder. 

 

In a few days I'll be snacking on these - my grandmother's "Quick Pickles".  She said they were a cheat to get sweet, crisp pickles that were better than you could buy.  Start with small kosher dills that you slice up:

1-IMG_2380.thumb.jpg.e4a264ddeeeacbe1f6a9ed7a597549fe.jpg

 

Add sugar and vinegar:

1-IMG_2381.thumb.jpg.2b34a3e1c28daefe6aea5cb64bce96df.jpg

and refrigerate and flip over every day until the sugar dissolves and "cures" the pickles.  Crazy recipe, but she was right - these are better than any sweet pickle I've ever bought.  I brought these up years ago, either here or at Chowhound (that tells you how long ago it was) and someone inquired in the snottiest tones possible, "So...you used PICKLES to make...PICKLES?"  LOLOLOLOL  Twit. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

One of the items in the Sweets/Desserts section of Lukas Volger's Snacks for Dinner is titled "Dates Four Ways."  

I decided to test them out to find my favorite before committing a bunch of dates to the effort.  

At the top, we have a broiled date with olive oil drizzle, lime zest and Aleppo pepper flakes.

94E05898-9141-475E-AF40-A416E9365F53_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.25ba19db48edf3e079a84c542790ee4b.jpeg

 

In the second row, from left to right, we have a date stuffed with maple goat cheese (Silver Goat chèvre mixed with a little maple syrup) and topped with cacao nibs, a date stuffed with sharp Cheddar and drizzled with honey and a date stuffed with almond butter and topped with Fly By Jing chili crisp.  

 

These dates are pretty small so this looks rather silly but they're the last of the ones I bought at the farmers market.  All are good enough for further exploration. 

The broiled one was supposed to be broiled until the skin blistered, turned and done on the other side.  I wasn't seeing any obvious blistering so it got left in too long.  Still, the inside was nicely chewy and the lime and pepper were a nice contrast. 

The maple goat cheese tasted delicious on its own.  I'd happily smear it on a waffle or bagel or muffin.  The tang of the goat cheese contrasts with the sweet date and the cacao nibs add a nice crunch.  This wins the dessert category. If you made these with larger dates, cut in half and piped the goat cheese on with a pretty tip, these could look quite fancy. 

The sharp Cheddar was good with the date but the honey just blended in.  I'd be tempted to skip the honey and use a few drops of aged sherry vinegar or balsamic. 

The nut butter and chili crisp wins the savory category.  Very more-ish.  

 

Edited to add these were accompanied by a small glass of Pineau des Charentes....a small glass that I refilled once...or twice 🙃

 

 

 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thise date snacks take me back to the water chesnut stuffed in date and wrapped in bacon - then broiled - a favorites 70s nibble pass-around at parties with drinks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, heidih said:

Thise date snacks take me back to the water chesnut stuffed in date and wrapped in bacon - then broiled - a favorites 70s nibble pass-around at parties with drinks.


or, the version made famous by a local caterer…stuffed with almonds. Hmm. I have medjool dates. I have almonds. I have bacon. Perhaps I shall assay these.

  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kayb said:


or, the version made famous by a local caterer…stuffed with almonds. Hmm. I have medjool dates. I have almonds. I have bacon. Perhaps I shall assay these.

 

You won't be sorry. Walnuts work well here, too.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2023 at 11:50 AM, Kim Shook said:

In a few days I'll be snacking on these - my grandmother's "Quick Pickles".  She said they were a cheat to get sweet, crisp pickles that were better than you could buy.  Start with small kosher dills that you slice up:

1-IMG_2380.thumb.jpg.e4a264ddeeeacbe1f6a9ed7a597549fe.jpg

 

Add sugar and vinegar:

1-IMG_2381.thumb.jpg.2b34a3e1c28daefe6aea5cb64bce96df.jpg

and refrigerate and flip over every day until the sugar dissolves and "cures" the pickles.  Crazy recipe, but she was right - these are better than any sweet pickle I've ever bought.  I brought these up years ago, either here or at Chowhound (that tells you how long ago it was) and someone inquired in the snottiest tones possible, "So...you used PICKLES to make...PICKLES?"  LOLOLOLOL  Twit. 

 

 

Kim, could you please give a few instructions about volumes?

(Amount of sugar and vinegar, size of container)

 

 

Edited by TdeV (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

One of the items in the Sweets/Desserts section of Lukas Volger's Snacks for Dinner is titled "Dates Four Ways."  

I bought the medjool dates with the very best of intentions and then ate the whole container over a period of a few days - just as they were.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I bought the medjool dates with the very best of intentions and then ate the whole container over a period of a few days - just as they were.

PP (pre-pandemic) the Fresh Market grocery store use to stock a serve yourself bin of them in the produce section.  They were moist and tender and as big as my two thumbs put together. They were the perfect size for stuffing with nuts or cheese and wrapping with prosciutto.  But when I bought them, I'd have to figure in "shrinkage", i.e. what I'd snack on myself!

37 minutes ago, TdeV said:

 

 

Kim, could you please give a few instructions about volumes?

(Amount of sugar and vinegar, size of container)

 

 

Here's the recipe.  But what I haven't included, but should is that the jar of pickles I use is 24 oz. Kosher Baby Dills.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

杨梅 (yáng méi), bayberries, Myrica rubra.

 

One of my favourite fruits - sweet and sour. It's a little early in the season, so not at their best yet, butstill good.

 

yangmei1024.thumb.jpg.ca7a68dd7a1b715dbd13ba795f4eab31.jpg

 

 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

A little bedtime and eG perusal snack:

1-IMG_3549.jpg.6aeb7c182531917d346825c80ed37bbe.jpg

Just some cookies from Lidl.  Lidl is German and their German goodies are quite good. We've just been through Italian Week and French Week and those are less so.  The little cubes are German Dominos - layers of cookie dough and jam and marzipan.  The adorable chocolate ones with the stars are Italian Pan di Stelle.  And the other cookie is a French Palet Breton.  

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a lot of wasabi flavored ones but this brand I found in the market today. So good. Crispy with a kick that goes right uo the nose. 

IMG_1935.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Watching some MLB (Brewers/Reds) and drinking Left Coast Asylum tripel and snacking on awesome olives from Costco.  Happy Hour.

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 4.36.18 PM.png

My favorite olives!  

 

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

Give Hubs a go - my favorite other than home roasted from raw,   https://www.hubspeanuts.com

They are great.  I think VA peanuts are the absolute best peanuts.  Even the Costco brand VA peanuts are MILES better than anything Planter's offers.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

My favorite olives!  

 

They are great.  I think VA peanuts are the absolute best peanuts.  Even the Costco brand VA peanuts are MILES better than anything Planter's offers.  

 

I like Planter's well enough, or at least I used to.  I stopped buying Planter's peanuts after I complained a jar was rancid, and the rep pointed out the best by date had expired.  It is true the best buy date had expired, but only by a week or two.

 

  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

I like Planter's well enough, or at least I used to.  I stopped buying Planter's peanuts after I complained a jar was rancid, and the rep pointed out the best by date had expired.  It is true the best buy date had expired, but only by a week or two.

 

But Hubs are in a whole other realm

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can report the nuts.com jumbo Virginia peanuts are much improved tonight.  My mai tai is not bad either.  I fear some of the drugs I'm taking may be messing with my sense of taste.  The pills certainly give me a dry mouth.

 

  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...