• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

17 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Last year i became hooked on TJ's seasonal Butter Toffee Pretzels. I tasted them again this year and they are actually quite awful! Maybe it was Pandemic Lunacy, or maybe just the usual unpredictability of taste.

I've been addicted to these in past years. I picked up a bag last week and haven't opened it yet. I so hope you just got a bad bag and mine will be as wonderful as in the past.

Deb

Liberty, MO

44 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I've been addicted to these in past years. I picked up a bag last week and haven't opened it yet. I so hope you just got a bad bag and mine will be as wonderful as in the past.

I'm pretty sure it's me and not the pretzels, but tell me what you think. 

On 12/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, rotuts said:

the smoked trout is quite good.

its a little dry ' plain '

but consider some on ( bread , crackers , etc ) 

w a dab of sour cream between the B,C,E,  and the trout

sometimes finely sliced green onions ( not too many ) 

also adds a nice dimention

todays TJTreats ;

IMG_0564.jpg.434fa5b5e6174fc81173d7740d5beccc.jpg

I haven't had one of these ' orange apples ' i quite a while.

probably that well known brand , from Switzerland ?

I know evaluating chocolate @ eG  is very very risky 

drunk.jpeg.20a3b6ef105f491913769bd4c8dfb8a5.jpeg

this ' slices ' are thinner , and for me nicer that the thicker

bitter-sweet choc suits me , and the orange flavor is very nice

in fairness , Aldi as some nice chocolate bars 

one bitter-week bar w tiny bits of orange  through out ,  nice.

have not tried the fruit spread.  can't say if its sweet or tart.  hoping for tart.

That fruit spread is one of my favorites - it is definitely on the tart side, and for me it doesn't have the wateriness (for lack of a better word) of a lot of spreads sweetened with fruit juice. I love it on a toasted, buttered waffle.

• Like 1

Patty

@rotutsOf course those chocolate oranges were fun to knock apart,, guaranteed stocking stuffers. Here's another good bar: Lindt Excellence dark chocolate Intense Orange. Besides finely chopped orange it also has a modest amount of finely chopped almonds. I'm hooked on this and don't consider it that intense; the chocolate is not overwhelmed by orange, and the orange doesn't taste artificial. Easily available in grocery stores that stock Lindt.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned elsewhere that I planned to get myself a treat from TJ's after getting my Covid booster and flu shot at the nearby drug store. 

I'm now vaxed and boosted and am home with my treat:

IMG_4750.thumb.jpeg.ea2fd3cb53d0670b2aa04bf76546f166.jpeg

I think I'll work on my hydration a bit before I sample it.  Plus, it's a little early!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

35 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I mentioned elsewhere that I planned to get myself a treat from TJ's after getting my Covid booster and flu shot at the nearby drug store. 

I'm now vaxed and boosted and am home with my treat:

IMG_4750.thumb.jpeg.ea2fd3cb53d0670b2aa04bf76546f166.jpeg

I think I'll work on my hydration a bit before I sample it.  Plus, it's a little early!

Hibiki translates as "echo," though I cannot make out the kanji.  If I were to evaluate it from a zen calligraphy ("shodo") perspective, I would say it is explosive with energy (ki), quite a unified and beautiful piece.

Can't wait to get your impressions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

• 4 weeks later...

I ventured out to TJ's this AM

I haven't been for about a month

by choice

Id like to get to Spring w/o an ' illness ' ::

1 ) Maurice doesn't  have GPS , nor an App for that.

2 ) MC isn't going to ' clear ' his litter box , if I can't.

got there a minute early , and there were very few people in the store

when I complete my Tour.

some regular items missing , but not that meany.  in many months past I asked

my buds there about sup-ply-shortages , and they said there were a few

but they just filled the shelves w what they had , so it ws not apparent

a bit different now  although I got what I wanted , there was no carnitas , so Im trying 

pork belly ( refrigerated )  cheese looks fine .

the damage was considerable on the refrigerated section that covers milk , yogurt 

and fancy pants drinks next to them

also the egg section was almost empty :  above 12 + dozen cartoms

mostly the very expensive stuff :  $ 5.99 / doz   two containders of

large brown eggs ( from chickens w No Name )  $ 2.99  I passed

but regret it now

the fresh baked local bread was there , which is why I went today rather than yesterday 

no fresh bread delivery on Monday.

I have a problem w my coffee roaster :

board.thumb.jpg.2346759cb451460f0c371502c4f0c608.jpg

this ' bit ' needs replacement , as I was an early adopter of V2   and some of these boards

were known to fail .  Free immediate replacement from SweetMaria , on the way

I think TJ's coffee  is fine for drip.  but my emergency unit was not there

I got a different one and it will suit me until I start roasting again , maybe next tuesday

as we all know , ' Coffee ' is a personal Item   Tj's versions , and they have many

is  OK for drip for me if its dark roast.  when Im too lazy to have not roasted in advance.

so over all , the dairy and eggs shelves were were hit hardest.

they did have my favorite apple dessert pastries , but no BonBons ( Fz )

( regular standard version )  they had 2 vegan bonbons  

but by the looks of them , they seem to have been in the Fz case for quite some time.

and who knew roasting coffee needed so many ' chips '

wonder what all those blue things are

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thought that y'all might like to look at these Trader Joe "hacks".  Make sure to check the comments for additional ideas.  

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thought that y'all might like to look at these Trader Joe "hacks".  Make sure to check the comments for additional ideas.  

Not sure I’ve seen them but I like the idea of frozen Taiwanese green onion pancakes as taco shells, filled with scrambled eggs for breakfast.

• Like 2

I have not seen this mentioned, although I don’t know I’ve read all 34 previous pages, the Kringle.   The Danish Kringle is fantastic.   The company that sells it normally charges 3 times what Trader Joe’s does plus shipping.   It’s become a holiday tradition in our house.   They freeze well too

• Like 4

On 1/21/2022 at 1:16 PM, Dr. Teeth said:

I have not seen this mentioned, although I don’t know I’ve read all 34 previous pages, the Kringle.   The Danish Kringle is fantastic.   The company that sells it normally charges 3 times what Trader Joe’s does plus shipping.   It’s become a holiday tradition in our house.   They freeze well too

Love the Kringle! Miss the Kringle!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Love the Kringle! Miss the Kringle!

I didn't know Trader Joe's carried them. I've always gotten them from Lehman's Danish Bakery, who claims to have been the first in Racine to provide them. Gosh, it's been years since I bought one! Maybe I should change that. Does Trader Joe's usually carry them?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I didn't know Trader Joe's carried them. I've always gotten them from Lehman's Danish Bakery, who claims to have been the first in Racine to provide them. Gosh, it's been years since I bought one! Maybe I should change that. Does Trader Joe's usually carry them?

My TJs has them very regularly. I hesitate to say always because it’s TJs and things disappear all the time.  They must be shipped frozen as they are often still in that state when they put them out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rotuts said:

my YJ's had a pumpkin version before halloween

then reverted to a standard almond.

from time to time

wish they had the Pecan.

Check for the pecan in the next month or 2.  These are the usual Kringle flavors and when they tend to appear at TJs:

Pecan - late winter
Raspberry - spring
Cheesecake - summer
Pumpkin Caramel - fall
Almond - early winter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

Trader Joe’s carries O&H Danish Bakery brand.   I’d be interested if you’ve had both and think Lehman’s is better.

They have them in sporadically.   It seems others have more knowledge about when.   They were the hot item this holiday season as they were only putting out 12 a day and they would sell out within the first 30 minutes around here

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Trader Joe’s carries O&H Danish Bakery brand.   I’d be interested if you’ve had both and think Lehman’s is better.

I haven't had both. Sounds like a nice excuse for a taste test someday!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Continuing my fascination with recommendations for TJ's products we bought a Kringle a few days ago. I'd never heard of it before I read about it here. I can only conclude that @Dr. Teeth must be a dentist with excellent brushing habits, because the amount of sugar in every bite is enough to make your choppers fly out of your head. Or as my dear departed Dad would say, "That'll put hair on your teeth!" My TJ's only had pecan. I had a sixteenth of it and my husband, trooper that he is, ate the rest because he hates to see food wasted.  I have to say my track record with TJ's is dismal. They have about five items we rely on and swear by,. Sadly, several of my favorites have disappeared forever. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2