• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

50 minutes ago, heidih said:

I just read the packaging on the Taiwanese green onion pancakes as I plan to cook one up to use wth dinner tonight. They are actually imported from Taiwan - I'd assumed the style was Taiwanese!

I hope you like them!  Kind of amazing that they can ship them over here and still sell for such a low price.  There's excess of plastic in the packaging - I've been saving the flat sheets for when I want to separate pancakes or waffles in the freezer - but otherwise, I think they're pretty great. 

I had one the other day folded over avocado and kimchi - yum!  

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:17 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I hope you like them!  Kind of amazing that they can ship them over here and still sell for such a low price.  There's excess of plastic in the packaging - I've been saving the flat sheets for when I want to separate pancakes or waffles in the freezer - but otherwise, I think they're pretty great. 

I set myself up with false expectations. Your lovely images to me looked like a tender flatbread, the package description was more a laminated dough as discussed here and like ones I used to get at the big Chinese market (Ranch 99). https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161076-in-search-of-the-ultimate-green-onion-cakes/ I cooked as directed and got  nice golden crispy yet tender result. So next time, without expectations I will do as the dipper for hummus or eggplant dip. 

• Sad 1

I was only explainng not complaining. My initial thinking was folded round a poached egg with a sprightly side salad - so that is on deck too. Glad I tried and "price is right".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

That list is a crime against humanity. Sometimes I get the feeling that the only way certain demographics can shop is by crowd sourcing.

By the way, the pineapples at Trader Joe's aren't bad for $2.99.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

43 minutes ago, weinoo said:

That list is a crime against humanity. Sometimes I get the feeling that the only way certain demographics can shop is by crowd sourcing.

By the way, the pineapples at Trader Joe's aren't bad for $2.99.

I'm a browser. When I shop, I do take a list of items I absolutely, positively need, but I enjoy taking my time to go up and down the aisles and see what's new. (I try to avoid high-traffic times when I will likely piss-off people trying to get in/out quickly.) That said, these kinds of lists for TJ's are convenient for my sister. She lives pretty far from TJ and works, so she doesn't get to shop there often. She will browse these lists and their flyer and give me a list, so I can pick up the stuff she wants when I go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

@weinoo 

I think you've missed the point.

sim[ly by scrolling , at home , I see new(-ish ) stuff 

@ Tj's   I rarely find the opinion associated w the stuff helpful

its just seeing stuff .

that's it.  I do understand its a partial list of what they've got

and subject to others selection and then opinion 

but it does give me ideas

as I still tend to limit my time @ either Tj's or MarketBasket.

previous Tj's list thought a few things I get @ Tj's

were awful .  I like them and will continue to get them

when I remember .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

No I don't think so.

My point is that I don't try new stuff (other than maybe a different cheese) from Trader Joe's - I only buy very few selected items. None of which are pantry.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from TJ's.  The store was very well stocked.  Lots of pasta, including spaghetti and other long noodles that had been MIA at my store for months.  The Jasper Hill cave aged, Vault 5 cheese that appears from time to time was back again. $10.99/lb, the same price as when I mentioned it in this thread in 2018 and 2019.  Very nice flavorful cheese. 

I bought some of the ranch dressing seasoning and that Georgian Ajika seasoning.  I'll try both on popcorn first.

They finally had the TJ's brand cascatelli that's been available on the east coast for a long time. The ruffles look a tiny bit less detailed than the Sfoglini brand. Haven't tried it yet. $2.99/lb

C7A7FBF4-0C32-4AA5-BB6B-F6D73E1C251F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9d4466774c1fcbf32eb5e568d5a44241.jpeg

Forecast high of 93°F today so I sprang for some lemony ice cream.   Reminds me of a lemon ice cream with lemon curd swirl that I made with the Ninja Creami except this also has cookie bits.  I'd prefer my cookies on the side and a less sweet product but if you're in the mood for a lemony ice cream, this could be worth a try.

AB9804E4-341D-40BD-A32D-C22ABC146779_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.aa72210f7e1785f2f59444925ab52ad2.jpeg

Forgot to look to see if@rotuts $2.99 Malbec decided to make a belated appearance on the left coast.  Gave up alcohol for Lent so no immediate need anyway. 

• Like 4

@blue_dolphin 

Excellent 

I saw that wiggle pasta shape

on my Last Cruze ? )

I did pause , a bit , the rolled on :

for no reason other than :

I remember a thread about a new pasta shape

I enjoyed , it

next time I might slow down  

""" for fun """

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@blue_dolphin  "Lemon ice cream with lemon curd swirl"  Did you happen to post that recipe?

I don’t think I did. This post shows the lemon curd swirl drizzled in. The recipe for Creamy Dreamy Lemon Ice Cream is in the files section of the Ninja Creami Dummies Facebook group. I will PM it to you. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2022 at 2:17 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I've now tried both the Taiwanese and the Korean green onion / scallion pancakes. The Korean were pretty bad. Gummy and too thick to get crispy. The Taiwanese were better: simpler, flatter, and cooked up with a little crunchiness. I can tolerate them for late night emergency snacks. But neither is great in my opinion. In fact I rarely get great ones in restaurants either.

Not related to scallion pancakes at all, but has anyone been able to find the Valrhona Noir 71 % dark chocolate bar at TJ's? Must be a supply problem of the covid variety. My two TJ's in Oakland haven't had them for several weeks. I'm in Asheville NC right now and they are out as well. That's really my favorite bittersweet bar for the price, anywhere.

• Like 1

@Katie Meadow 

interesting how tastes differ .  my local has not had the taiwanese 

for some time  ( exactly then I got interested via eG ! )

but the Korean are indeed ' not thin ' , 

and not just Gummy , but also Greasy at the same time !

best ' junk ' fastfood Ive had in a while.

ad its right there in my freezer !

I forgot to mention this for the Kringle fans but the last few times I've been in TJ's, the raspberry version has been for sale. 

Personally, I'm not a Kringle fan - too sweet and insufficient crisp/crunch factor.  Maybe the raspberry has some nice tartness?  I dunno.  I've bought them for gatherings and they are popular with a lot of people so I figured I'd mention in case anyone needs a quick addition to their Easter brunch buffet. 

• Like 1

@blue_dolphin 

you are  quite right about the Kringles. 

I think you pointed out not that long ago

that TJ's has a cycle.  Im interested in pecan

and I think I had that before.  

Ive been sent Kringles as holiday gifts 

and Ill say this :

based  on your sweet tooth 

and understanding of the small lake of sugar 

'' ganache ""   

[ed.: some of that sugar lake can be easily removed , esp from the refrigerator ]

and , of course the variety :

the pastry , when heated up in any roster oven

CSO ir not 

until a bir crispy , oozie 

on a plate so your donut burn your tongue 

Coffee ? dark ?   

and a pat of butter right out of the CSO ?

very very very nice.

• Like 1

I really like Trader Joe's, but it can be such a weird place.  A year or so ago, I was looking for their all-butter frozen puff pastry.  I'd used it the Christmas before and preferred it to Pepperidge Farm.  I was told that puff pastry was considered "seasonal" and wasn't currently being shipped.  

I was in there on Friday and was looking for some marshmallows to dip in chocolate for a thing at church.  The nice girl rolled her eyes and informed me that corporate considers marshmallows "seasonal" and they they wouldn't have them for some time.  Sigh.

• Sad 2

Picked up these frozen cheese pastries at TJ's.  Tasty little things, kinda like a cheese danish.

3638D10E-CEA9-4B8A-B02B-BEC468338F1F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c7a5cfb38560caf48d8797b4f8b13678.jpeg

Like the newer croissants, the box says they can go right from the freezer to the oven, no need to proof.  And like those croissants, I'll say that you'll get a better result if you give them at least a little proofing time before the go into the oven.  They don't need a full overnight proof like the chocolate and almond croissants but I think a couple of hours would help.  

Here's my little experiment comparing a direct from frozen (on the left) to one that I proofed at RT first (on the right):

DB528823-4A54-419B-90A1-B4525A03DAAA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4a3d0c1ddd1b5ff960b2460d9bf98a6f.jpeg

I'd say that I rather over-proofed that one.  I set it on a tray and forgot about it for around 5 hours.  Since it was so poofy, it also baked a lot quicker and was done in about 10-12 min vs the 20+ min on the box.  

I'd recommend going with 2 hrs or so for something less poofy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2