• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

11 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Do you have a good recipe? There don't appear to be any raisins in yours.That's very good.  If a raisin so much as looks at my rice pudding I reach for my anti-anxiety meds.

Adapted from a recipe by Anthony Demetre...

1 L whole milk
150g cream (35% fat)
100g butter, diced
120g sugar
180g short grain rice

5 kg raisins (optional)

Bring the milk, cream, butter and sugar to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
Pour into an ovenproof dish, add the rice and stir with a fork to distribute evenly on the base.
Bake at 130C/265F for 90 mins. Do not stir if you wish to preserve the skin.

Test for doneness by nudging the dish. If there is a gentle wobble under the skin, remove from oven. If it looks too liquid, cook a little longer.

Set aside for at least 30 minutes for the residual heat to finish cooking.

Best served warm(ish) accompanied by huge bowls overflowing with raisins. 😉

I used carnaroli (risotto) rice. Arborio is good, too. Your dish needs to be at least 1.7 L (7 cups). The original recipe used a cast iron pan to bring everything to a simmer on the hob, which was then transferred to the oven to bake. It's important to spread the rice evenly to avoid pockets of dense rice. I flavoured mine with tonka but vanilla is more traditional. My 90 minutes took it to a point where there was no wobble, which is why I feared it might be stodgy. But it wasn't, being firm but light, with a creaminess towards the bottom. I liked this textural difference from a regular stovetop rice pudding. If the skin isn't as developed as you'd like, whack it under a moderate grill until you're happy. I recommend eating it somewhere between lukewarm and warm for best texture and flavour (30-60 minutes out of the oven). If chilled, any leftovers benefit from a few minutes in a low microwave.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

5 kg raisins (optional)

Ha ha. That would be about the right amount of raisins for me. I have two versions of rice pudding that I consider the ultimate comfort food. One is the baked one with raisins and that marvellous skin and the other is the Danish risalamande. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ha ha. That would be about the right amount of raisins for me. I have two versions of rice pudding that I consider the ultimate comfort food. One is the baked one with raisins and that marvellous skin and the other is the Danish risalamande. 

The raisin dump truck is on permanent retainer to never even drive on my block.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

5 kg raisins (optional)

How many raisins? (Really).

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

. . . the other is the Danish risalamande. 

Have a recipe, Anna?

2 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How many raisins? (Really).

Have a recipe, Anna?

Nope it has been years since I made it. But if you Google it you will find plenty of recipes.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Pete Fred said:

I was teasing @Katie Meadow 🙂

You see how raisins are insidious? Originally there were no raisins in @Pete Fred's recipe. But they just jumped in while he was looking the other way. And  they travel in large groups. A pod of whales. A murder of crows. An insurrection of raisins.

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

You see how raisins are insidious? Originally there were no raisins in @Pete Fred's recipe. But they just jumped in while he was looking the other way. And  they travel in large groups. A pod of whales. A murder of crows. An insurrection of raisins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My little rhubarb patch has started delivering its bounty. After a quick ebook scan to see if there was anything intriguing, I settled on the Rhubarb Crumb Cake from Snacking Cakes by Yossy Arefi...

RhubarbCrumbleCake.thumb.png.b8183d56f19febf86e5be4b0d8029c66.png

It was disappointing, unfortunately. As it started to rise at the sides, the crumb topping was displaced into the centre, and the rhubarb all sank, resulting in a bit of a mushy bottom where the fruit released its moisture.

I had no sour cream so substituted creme fraiche thinned with a little milk, so maybe that was part of the problem. But the batter was still fairly thick and I expected it to support the rhubarb. I might make a couple of adjustments and give it another go just to satisfy my curiosity.

One positive takeaway, though: the addition of sumac to the crumb topping was very good. I'll definitely be doing that again.

• Like 4

Rhubarb, Marmalade and Rosemary Cake by Diana Henry...

RhubarbMarmaladeandRosemaryCake.thumb.png.33a2d73587af73fc519a2588df747591.png

This was an improvement on Sunday's rhubarb cake but still didn't illicit more than a shrug. The rosemary was totally invisible - maybe it's one of those things where you only notice when it's omitted - and there was a marmalade-iness to the cake element without it being too forward.

RhubarbMarmaladeandRosemaryCake(Plated).thumb.png.bec6b9ada91fcf9a217c8fa065ecd4dd.png

It was pleasant enough with a bit of crème fraîche, and it's a not-unattractive cake, but I'm unlikely to bother again.

There's one more rhubarb cake I might have a go at, but so far this little adventure has only confirmed for me that the best way to eat rhubarb is cooked simply (poached) and served as an accompaniment or with some custard.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Chocolate frosted cake, a few  chocolate feuilletine  flakes on top and a swipe across the bottom of the cake. A bit of a cobbled together cake but came out well in spite of my additions and subtractions.  I substituted self rising flour for the cake flour and added a few tablespoons of almond flour. The crumb was tender and moist, it’s only a six inch cake, so hopefully will remain fresh until tomorrow.

CE915F04-AC82-4E98-9A92-416C3A150471.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Today's adventure in rhubarb is from Claire Saffitz (watch her make it here)...

RhubarbCake.thumb.png.839f35177dfa0bdd35b4dcd63db312e3.png

This has rhubarb three ways: chunks, strips on top, and puree in the batter. Unfortunately it was no triple-whammy. She says it's a moist cake, but I'd say wet. And the strips on top just turned stringy. Forgettable.

So that's me done with rhubarb cakes. Not worth the bother. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Elkyfr said:

Caribbean Monkey

Look at the Caribbean monkey, very nightingale living an idyllic life on his pretty island...

image.thumb.png.ad39e92244fd64145b2ef80ae69bfb64.png

I hate to imagine what you must have spent on molds.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I hate to imagine what you must have spent on molds.

I buy used molds on ebay, it is my little hobby, for my little project and to fill them with kinder bueno, eggs, chocolates... and give it to people.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Elkyfr said:

I buy used molds on ebay, it is my little hobby, for my little project and to fill them with kinder bueno, eggs, chocolates... and give it to people.

You give away the molds filled with stuff?

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

You give away the molds filled with stuff?

I make the chocolate figurines, fill them with sweets and bag them. I give them to my co-workers, friends and family.

• Like 3

Portokalopita....

Portokalopita.thumb.png.5ed60685f3285b8dd2762fd381c24963.png

I'd seen this described as sort of a Greek bread-and-butter pudding. It's crushed, dried-out filo pastry mixed with a custard and, once baked, drenched in an obscene amount of orange syrup. It was surprisingly light, and the orange flavour really popped. I'll definitely make this again. Served with some tangy Greek yoghurt to balance the sweetness it was a real winner...

Portokalopita(Plated).thumb.png.74c404612aa61a0febc92caf964ab52c.png

Edited by Pete Fred (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

18 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

Quiquiriqui... Quiquiriqui, here comes the morning rooster that crows when the sun rises and gives the neighbourhood a good day!

image.thumb.png.7e73d9a65ea90efcb3f146045e1c86a8.png

I'll dffer on the "good day" poart at 4am but he is cute with a "friendly look". You mentioned filling your molded pieces with other treats. So these are hollow and then do you open from bottom to insert and somehow close off the entry hole or?

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 7:50 PM, heidih said:

I'll dffer on the "good day" poart at 4am but he is cute with a "friendly look". You mentioned filling your molded pieces with other treats. So these are hollow and then do you open from bottom to insert and somehow close off the entry hole or?

I have always heard that God helps those who get up early... and besides, the sun does not rise earlier because of getting up early.

Yes, most of the figurines are hollow and the mould has an opening button, to fill and empty the chocolate, like making bombons. First I make the lids of the figurines in a plastic sheet. I press the base of the empty mold into the chocolate sheet, scoring the base and solidifying it. And when I make the figure, it is when I fill and close the base with melted chocolate and the choco lid.