• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The make-your-own vanilla extract experiment

Fat Guy

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously, wood is used to impart a vanilla flavor to wine and spirits.

Right, I'm not questioning that (wood barrels and all).

My vanilla tastes like raw bark/wood.  Not only does that sound incorrect, I'm not sure I like it.  Go outside, pick up a stick of mulch bark and chew on it.  Do you like it?  Actually, don't do that, might be toxic, I'm saying it to illustrate the point :)

I'm here looking to see if others have this wood flavor - I have not seen that mentioned in this thread.  It's definitely from the pod/sheath.  Is it because it's only 2 months old, is this normal, or did I just not use good beans?  This random internet user wants to know.

Edited by jedovaty (log)

• 3 years later...
On 1/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, chileheadmike said:

The one time I made my own vanilla extract, I didn't even try it until it had sat for 6 months. 

Ditto. I finished one batch last year and have another small one steeping now, with at least 2½ months to go. I used Sobieski vodka for both.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I found a vacuumed bag of a few vanilla beans in the freezer that I bought in 2013 before the big move.  I tossed them.   They might have still had some flavor but had to pick and choose what was going with us and what was going away.   

• Sad 1