• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The make-your-own vanilla extract experiment

Fat Guy

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously, wood is used to impart a vanilla flavor to wine and spirits.

Right, I'm not questioning that (wood barrels and all).

My vanilla tastes like raw bark/wood.  Not only does that sound incorrect, I'm not sure I like it.  Go outside, pick up a stick of mulch bark and chew on it.  Do you like it?  Actually, don't do that, might be toxic, I'm saying it to illustrate the point :)

I'm here looking to see if others have this wood flavor - I have not seen that mentioned in this thread.  It's definitely from the pod/sheath.  Is it because it's only 2 months old, is this normal, or did I just not use good beans?  This random internet user wants to know.

Edited by jedovaty (log)

• 3 years later...
On 1/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, chileheadmike said:

The one time I made my own vanilla extract, I didn't even try it until it had sat for 6 months. 

Ditto. I finished one batch last year and have another small one steeping now, with at least 2½ months to go. I used Sobieski vodka for both.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A sense of humor is a measurement of the extent to which you realize that you are trapped in a world almost entirely devoid of reason. Laughter is how you release the anxiety you feel at this knowledge." -Dave Barry, humorist

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

I found a vacuumed bag of a few vanilla beans in the freezer that I bought in 2013 before the big move.  I tossed them.   They might have still had some flavor but had to pick and choose what was going with us and what was going away.   

• Sad 1