• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavoring your ice creams: Extract or infusion?

CharlieDi

On 1/24/2023 at 10:30 PM, paulraphael said:

Same Sorrel. She's doing something really clever by taking advantage of the Paco Jet. By grinding up the herbs after they're frozen solid, she's not allowing the enzymes to go to work and brown leaves (and wreck the flavors). The enzymes are inactive at those low temperatures. 

Very clever indeed, and damn tasty too!

PXL_20230520_141515567_exported_354_1684596019172.thumb.jpg.78232fbc3a2f8b6883f0ca0b2d227d2a.jpg

As usual, I used the slightly modified Chefsteps creme fraiche recipe (one drop of polysorbate 80 and 1.1g of LBG for a batch scaled to 150g creme fraiche). The 120g of water in the original recipe was replaced by 120 grams of fresh sorrel leaves (picked from the sod roof on my parents' garage). I also added 1 gram of citric acid to the base mix.

It took a lot of spins, and two refreezes, but the Creami was able to replicate the results Lauren Eldridge got with the Pacojet 😀

Because of the large volume of the fresh sorrel leaves, I had to split the mix between two Creami beakers for the initial freeze and 3 x light ice cream cycles. Then the processed mixture was combined in one beaker and frozen again. After 4 additional spins, the Creami had broken down the sorrel enough, but the mixture was more milk shake than ice cream, so back in the freezer it went. Probably due to a slightly higher solids content than usual, the ice cream needed 2 spins on the light ice cream cycle and one respin before getting the right scooping consistency (normal is one light ice cream and one or two respins).

Flavour profile was similar to the blueberry version I made a while ago, so it's quite understandable why Lauren Eldridge went with the blueberry pairing, but the sorrel version has an additional floral/grassy dimension I liked a lot. Defrosted wild blueberries, white chocolate namelaka and wild wood sorrel (Oxalis acetosella) - picked in my own "garden" less than an hour before it was served - was all a good match to the ice cream.

Edited by sverreef (log)
  • Like 1