• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

image.thumb.jpeg.f9e8995a56a335844f67000cfaa10269.jpeg

One of the difficulties I find with ordering groceries online is that I often fail to take all the necessary steps to make sure something ends up in my basket or, as in this case, manage to put two of something in there when I only needed one.   So this time I ended up with 6 pounds of red onions.  I could of course make many things including onion marmalade but I haven't quite wrapped my head around that yet. This is my first attempt at using some of them up. I sliced up a few onions, brushed them with oil  and roasted them.  When they were tender I spooned a mixture of breadcrumbs, thyme, pecorino Romano's and goat cheese on them and broiled them until they had some colour.  (The breadcrumb, thyme, cheese topping was left over from dinner last evening.)

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Difficult to say what this is. Leftovers, for sure.

It's somewhere between a porridge and a soup. There is a version of rice porridge/congee known as 稀饭 (xī fàn) which is much more watery than regular porridge ( zhōu). Often eaten for breakfast. Perhaps you could call it that, but this has more solids than that usually has.

Anyway, poached chicken, leeks, carrots, oyster mushrooms and chilli in a chicken stock with already cooked rice which is re-cooked until very soft. Home made soda bread for dipping (not Chinese, at all.)

20170617_191820.thumb.jpg.618c5713b404e141e217b93b999357fc.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg.379e8a5ea8293a5a919ed688a60f3054.jpeg

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.1d0100fb1cdbcf05ffbd0e5e472de094.jpeg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Caramelized endive with Gruyère from Ottolenghi's Plenty p 157. 

Here's a photo of the endives before I covered them with cheese - so pretty, it's a pity to hide them!  I was tempted to eat them like this with a drizzle of sherry vinegar ...

IMG_5519.thumb.jpg.e880fc7889cd796833a11ec553c6c37f.jpg

...but I proceeded to make them completely unhealthy!

There is a similar recipe in Ottolenghi that adds a slice of Serrano ham so I riffed off of both, added some crispy bacon crumbles to the cheese and breadcrumbs and called it breakfast. 

IMG_5525.thumb.jpg.48cccf00af3e70174eb795e4d3bf5f2e.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here's a photo of the endives before I covered them with cheese - so pretty, it's a pity to hide them!  I was tempted to eat them like this with a drizzle of sherry vinegar ...

I love caramelized Belgium endive  any which way.   They become a totally different creature when they are cooked.   Two for the price of one.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.10859936880d02a8cde65b2e19f7c98f.jpeg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

CkBr Sandwich :

594946fe01949_CkBrSand.thumb.jpg.3808ff4a728e79b81a0b7307dc6c036e.jpg

SV CkBr  w Sauer's PrimeRib seasoning

https://www.cfsauer.com/product/prime-rib-roast-seasoning-rub-00575/

12 grain soft fresh bread , tomato , Bibb lettuce,   sliver of red onion , thinly sliced Ba-tampte pickled green tomatoes

Mayo of course  S & P

I can't imagine eating a CkBr that has not been SV'd

Night and Day.

• Like 4

image.jpeg.6e65388766c3b6f5798ee686121fb52d.jpeg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

CkBr Sandwich :

594946fe01949_CkBrSand.thumb.jpg.3808ff4a728e79b81a0b7307dc6c036e.jpg

12 grain soft fresh bread , tomato , Bibb lettuce,   sliver of red onion , thinly sliced Ba-tampte pickled green tomatoes

Mayo of course  S & P

Night and Day.

There is still an appeal for me to eat a perfectly seared chicken breast that's  still juicy and  well browned.  Small window

• Like 1

@scubadoo97 

yes that window is small.

this way its a no-brainer

skinless boneless  CkBr  are down to $ 1.66  / lbs

all I do isa tease out the two tendons and the SV does the rest

better than any Deli sliced chicken by far.   and suitable for bulk SV !

I still do vertical chicken ( whole )

and that's very nice.

Edited by rotuts (log)

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, rotuts said:

Mayo of course  S & P

Night and Day.

Looks good enough to try. First time doing them. I am using a little olive oil, S & P, a little garlic powder, sage leaves and rosemary at 141 F. I  expect to go about 3 hours. Am I close?

HC

IMG_2483.thumb.JPG.a51e0906dc15b81b7a4f9c7fd6d8d74e.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)

@HungryChris  

that's just about right.

I didn't care for 140   and   seemed too much for me so i picked 142.5

at some point learn out to tease out the tendon each CkBr has   the larger Br is a bit harder to do

the smaller  ( tender ) is more rope like and easier

makes a difference in the ' Chew '  and takes about 20 seconds / Br once you get the hang of it.

Puréed beets with yogurt & za'atar from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem with pita chips.  

IMG_5554.thumb.jpg.346ae3a28821baf3ad2e7d3b857f6c06.jpg

My intention was to mix this up and put it in the fridge for later but I ended up scarfing down most of it. 

The recipe calls for the yogurt to be blended with the seasoned beet purée and crumbled goat cheese used as a topping.  I mixed the yogurt and goat cheese together and swirled that into the beets. 

Sweet, tangy, spicy, earthy.  Lots of good flavor. 

• Like 5

Using a cake pan for an egg-baking dish: now why didn't I think of that? The eggs with ham and cheese look very appealing that way. :)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Using a cake pan for an egg-baking dish: now why didn't I think of that? The eggs with ham and cheese look very appealing that way. :)

Thanks!  It made it a lot more fun to eat.  Isn't that what it's all about?  LOL