Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )


kriz6912

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

6oSjfffS5aBg0Ea4dlyCw.thumb.jpg.d2868a6773df33cdab736cd1e6424e57.jpg

 

By special request, Seattle Kraken bonbons for the Stanley Cup - turquoise/red Kraken eyes w/ raspberry, black/blue salty caramel tentacles, vanilla bean silver skate blades (or the Cup if they win).   A little rushed (& sloppy), but entertaining.

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Made some Cowboy Candy Turtle bites - at the request of my wife and I am quite liking the size of them.  I put 3-1/2 roasted pecan haves in groups and just pour the caramel from the pot over each grouping.  I usually dip that in chocolate but cut them into quarters and then dipped them and topped with some pecan crumble so I know they are not regular turtles.  I over roasted the pecans - 350F for 13 minutes - I discovered this when I forgot them one day and thought damn it I just burnt them but when I tasted them they were amazing!  Cowboy Candy is candied pickled jalepeno slices I made with ACV and honey or maple or sugar - a great condiment on many items - burgers sandwiches etc.  I chopped up 50g of it and added it to the caramel made with my own vanilla extract (better than anything I can buy) and voila - a unique turtle experience!  Sweet with a touch of heat and salt.  this is my first batch of the bites and they are kind of ugly - I mean artisinal.  Not sure how to make them prettier or if it is worth the time and effort - they don't last long as I sold 45 of the 60 and gave the rest away as samples - which generated the sales!  I sell the rounds for $3 normally and sold the bites for .75 so I made the same money - and strangely didn't use anymore chocolate dipping them.  I always weigh the bowl before and after so I know exactly how much I have used and I have the bowl weight written on all my bowls - comes in super handy when the scale turns of when I get sidetracked.   I have some more turtle flavours planned just need to do some experimenting.  I love salted vanilla caramel but adding the cowboy candy gives it a little zing which I am loving. 

0114AE40-2B96-496C-A1C9-14C1FB6B5ACD.jpeg

B26AC84D-C158-4628-B290-58613BBF71BD.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone  -  I know I saw a post about different packaging makers - I have searched and looked and can't find it - it was just a list of different suppliers - can anyone point me in the right direction to find it?  Is there a key word I should use for the search?  TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently made some lollipops for a gender reveal party for a family friend (it was a girl!). They requested some candies, so I made lollipops, about 50 pc total (watermelon and blueberry) as well as some marshmallows. I didnt take a picture of the mallows, they were also pink and blue, and just looked like marshmallows haha. I made a little batch of vanilla bean marshmallow for my wife and I, I scooped some from the mixer and burnt it over a flame, soooo delicious!

PXL_20231103_225654565.jpg

PXL_20231103_225718833.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231103_225724920.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231109_215049925.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, minas6907 said:

I recently made some lollipops for a gender reveal party for a family friend (it was a girl!). They requested some candies, so I made lollipops, about 50 pc total (watermelon and blueberry) as well as some marshmallows. I didnt take a picture of the mallows, they were also pink and blue, and just looked like marshmallows haha. I made a little batch of vanilla bean marshmallow for my wife and I, I scooped some from the mixer and burnt it over a flame, soooo delicious!

 

Thanks for the photos, @minas6907.  I've missed seeing your wonderful confections.  I'll never forget the photos of those twirly golden lollies.  In fact, I still have the photo saved.  

  • Like 1

Darienne

 

learn, learn, learn...

 

We live in hope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm back on the chocolate train again!

 

"Juleskum" is a Swedish candy mainly sold during the Christmas season. Essentially, it's just a marshmallow with a hint of strawberry flavor. But it has captured the hearts of the Swedish population. Here's my attempt to recreate it in a delightful bonbon shape! Here is obviously a strawberry flavored marshmallow (some wild strawberry aroma as well), and a ganache with vanilla and more aromas. To get that more artificial flavor. I consider this more like candy than chocolate. :)

 

juleskum.thumb.png.ad2996cbcb362bb0675a3dcb63aeb215.png

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got all the chocolates done. I have 15-12 piece boxes filled, plus extra if I forgot anyone.

Espresso Pecan

Dark Hazelnut

Salted Caramel

Passion Fruit

Peanut Butter

Peppermint

IMG_4643.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of my assortment for Christmas 2023.  There are 24 different fillings, with an emphasis on those that attempt to imitate the taste and texture of various desserts (baklava, tiramisù, apple crisp, pecan pie, bananas Foster, cinnamon bun).  My favorite new ingredient to play with was Amarula cream liqueur.  It is similar to Bailey's Irish Cream but has other nuances of flavor.  I immediately thought of pairing it with coffee, but that turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated.  Amarula has a taste that seems assertive but was easily overpowered by chocolate and coffee.  It is, on the other hand, great for sipping.

 

chocolate1.thumb.jpg.ce2a58eca2e1312a31090cd4eb4e3feb.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Some of my assortment for Christmas 2023.  There are 24 different fillings, with an emphasis on those that attempt to imitate the taste and texture of various desserts (baklava, tiramisù, apple crisp, pecan pie, bananas Foster, cinnamon bun).  My favorite new ingredient to play with was Amarula cream liqueur.  It is similar to Bailey's Irish Cream but has other nuances of flavor.  I immediately thought of pairing it with coffee, but that turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated.  Amarula has a taste that seems assertive but was easily overpowered by chocolate and coffee.  It is, on the other hand, great for sipping.

 

chocolate1.thumb.jpg.ce2a58eca2e1312a31090cd4eb4e3feb.jpg

I put together a recipe for Rodney for a competition a couple of years ago sponsored by Amarula - it wasn't for a chocolate filling - it was a tart riffing off Cape Breton 'Pork Pies'.  What I learned from that - dates and amarula go well together.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I put together a recipe for Rodney for a competition a couple of years ago sponsored by Amarula - it wasn't for a chocolate filling - it was a tart riffing off Cape Breton 'Pork Pies'.  What I learned from that - dates and amarula go well together.  

Excellent idea.  I have a filling based on dates and will try it with Amarula.  I might try it with figs as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having been labouring under the misconception that it was a few weeks away - I had a rude awaking on Monday when someone mentioned that Christmas was 7 days away. 

 

Realized I'd better get my ass in gear if the neighbours were going to get their accustomed treats. You aren't getting the glam shots - there isn't time!

 

72468826217__07B68301-93E9-41DF-8560-175C349920FA.thumb.JPG.7375bf4d57d8fabc074bc51bc42863c5.JPG

 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - thank you Kriss Harvey. Eggnog filling - very rummy!

 

72481653390__2D9BB737-7BED-485C-824A-FFE0E9B2ECE9.thumb.JPG.d71445571798de02f0b4db88dfacf67f.JPG

 

Bergamot and wild madagascar pepper - you can see I had a fair bit of flaking in the deeper molds. 

 

IMG_6151.thumb.JPG.23fb0ea7dc805ddeac98cb4b3b2eecc3.JPG

 

Coffee in milk chocolate 

 

72481684636__B2078671-C8A4-4B01-AD4A-65C5C62C097C.thumb.JPG.074d6cc72e18d1bb61fa2cc55556e966.JPG

 

Lavender and honey - (well most of them anyway - I think a few might be bergamot)

 

IMG_6154.thumb.JPG.3b94f05ed4f41183acfbeceecb987974.JPG

 

Lavender

 

72481707164__443F99C6-8345-4A5F-95DB-74AB54A26AD7.thumb.JPG.80e6f3859b60674671a679f2369a2c25.JPG

 

Dulce de leche - polished with mold with my dremel - took a microfibre towel in strips and speared it onto a mandrel - no fluff (unlike my trials with the wool felt things and the cotton mop things). 

 

72481740177__1E7CBB78-3E9F-4DC0-98F5-141B105919E0.thumb.JPG.40740e7e13b4f5c64b45182f5272f0b0.JPG

 

And this is what happens when you realize you have just poured untempered chocolate into the mold - oops - bet they get eaten though!

 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

And this is what happens when you realize you have just poured untempered chocolate into the mold - oops - bet they get eaten though!

 

*I* certainly wouldn't complain. 🙂

 

  • Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...