• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

I know this thread is for confections, and theres another forum for books, but I thought most who visit this thread would appreciate this. I found this book on ebay for a great price, I dont think the seller (large thrift store) knew quite what they had here. One of Notters early books, Das Ist Zucker/That's Sugar. It was a small risk purchasing, as only the title was listed, no pictures, no author, no details, but its turned our to be the real thing. Its pretty cool seeing Notters early work. When I compare it to his much more recent book, The Art of the Confectioner, theres alot of the same designs, although they are much more elaborate and refined in his new book. Anyways, just wanted to share, thought some would get a kick out of it.

Thats Sugar.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

This took most of the day… I’m a big fan of Art Nouveau, especially the work of Alphonse Mucha, so I thought I’d try my hand at it. This was cast with Valrhona Opalys and freeze dried strawberries and hand painted with coloured cocoa butter. I forgot how difficult line work was with cocoa butter… If someone ever invents a cocoa butter fineliner I’ll pay you anything you want for it. This turned out a lot messier than I’d have liked but I was still happy with it overall

7EB20F88-7253-4A26-A6E1-4A68FEE15DD2.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 8:25 PM, minas6907 said:

Just something I wanted to show, a work in progress. A few weeks ago, I got a copy of An Encyclopedia of Candy and Ice Cream Making by Simon Leon on ebay (theres still another copy listed for $42). Heres two items I've been long wanting to make. Jelly Beans and Jordan Almonds. I obviously cant mold the jelly beans into a starch bed (mixture too thick, needs a machine to deposit), so I dusted a half sheet pan with starch, spread the mixture out, covered with more starch, and into the oven to dry for a few days. After I cut into pieces, and back into the oven for a few days. The end result was quite firm, closer to a jelly bean then I thought I would get. They were then soft sugar panned. They dont look perfect, but not too bad for being homemade (and first try). Currently, I have some black anise flavored jelly beans (my favorite) awaiting panning, I'll post those when I get to finishing them. The Jordan almonds were made with a syrup that has gum arabic in it, that was the first time seeing them formulated like that. I just decided to go with it. A little syrup + a heat gun, that shell built up in about 1.5 hours. One drawback (at least in my apartment) the hard panning the almonds is loud, I was a little concerned about the noise. For the jordan almonds, I want to build up the coating more, I'm only about 1/2 way through that recipe, so we'll see how the final result looks. Next step is polishing with wax. Honestly not sure if I should go straight bees wax or mix bees wax and carnauba, thats still a in the research phase. Any suggestions are more then welcome.

MVIMG_20200527_083149.jpg

MVIMG_20200527_083502.jpg

MVIMG_20200529_171925.jpg

MVIMG_20200529_171736.jpg

MVIMG_20200528_135911.jpg

This is very cool, @minas6907. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the "Jelly Bean" centers? Any thoughts on the book "An Encyclopedia of Candy and Ice Cream Making" by Simon Leon? Would you recommend purchasing it?

• 1 month later...

It was such a long time since I posted something. I'm trying my guitar a bit. Made the "triple duja" or whatever we should call it, again. Recipe from Leroux. The gianduja is way too soft in his recipe. Need more cocoa butter or more dark chocolate. Almond and pistachio layers are better.

triple.thumb.png.dfa4225922820f3e4cc18ae51bca2574.png

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 12:01 PM, no10 said:

This is very cool, @minas6907. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the "Jelly Bean" centers? Any thoughts on the book "An Encyclopedia of Candy and Ice Cream Making" by Simon Leon? Would you recommend purchasing it?

I'm so sorry for never responding! I'm not really sure how I missed your question! I personally would recommend purchasing the book if you can find it at a reasonable price. At the time that I posted this, there were some copy's on ebay in the $40 range. I just did a search, theres two copy's is the $180 range, and one for $80, but shipping from UK. The ingredients used in the book are generally obtainable, but you definitely need to scale down the formulas. Heres the recipe for the Jelly Beans centers:

50 lb Sugar

50 lb Corn Syrup

8 gal. Water

10 lb Best Cooking Starch (Dissolved in 10 qt water)

1 oz Cream of Tartar

1 t Acetic Acid

Then the panning syrup:

3 lb Powdered Gum Arabic (Dissolved in 3qt water)

2 qt Water

15 lb Sugar

15 lb Corn Syrup

4 ox Citric Acid

Colors

If you want, I can dm you the full recipe. Obviously, I scaled this waaaaay down, but it worked. What I lack is the equipment and automation to make perfect bean shapes, but I was pretty impressed that I got that far. When I used the panning syrup from the book, I didnt like the results. I've put together a basic syrup for soft sugar panning from the book Confectionery Science and Technology that came out much better.

The recipe for Turkish Delight came out well, @Kerry Beal sent me this, and this is what opened my eyes to this book after so many failed attempts. Now that I look through it again, I noticed formulas for vienna filled hard candies, I may have to try those.

18 hours ago, minas6907 said:

I'm so sorry for never responding! I'm not really sure how I missed your question! I personally would recommend purchasing the book if you can find it at a reasonable price. At the time that I posted this, there were some copy's on ebay in the $40 range. I just did a search, theres two copy's is the $180 range, and one for $80, but shipping from UK. The ingredients used in the book are generally obtainable, but you definitely need to scale down the formulas. Heres the recipe for the Jelly Beans centers:

50 lb Sugar

50 lb Corn Syrup

8 gal. Water

1 oz Cream of Tartar

1 t Acetic Acid

Then the panning syrup:

2 qt Water

15 lb Sugar

15 lb Corn Syrup

4 ox Citric Acid

Colors

If you want, I can dm you the full recipe. Obviously, I scaled this waaaaay down, but it worked. What I lack is the equipment and automation to make perfect bean shapes, but I was pretty impressed that I got that far. When I used the panning syrup from the book, I didnt like the results. I've put together a basic syrup for soft sugar panning from the book Confectionery Science and Technology that came out much better.

The recipe for Turkish Delight came out well, @Kerry Beal sent me this, and this is what opened my eyes to this book after so many failed attempts. Now that I look through it again, I noticed formulas for vienna filled hard candies, I may have to try those.

No problem at all! Thanks for getting back to me. I would like the full recipe! I'll DM you.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:49 AM, Rajala said:

Nothing special here, raspberry and vanilla. Classic combo of course.

raspberry_vanilla.thumb.png.8e226768dfbdde5a24ef9d22a05647c2.png

what do you use for the vanilla ganache? White chocolate, cream, butter, vanilla?

Asking because im trying to emulate the taste of pastry cream without the need for white chocolate as it imparts a certain taste.

4 hours ago, MikanPotatos said:

what do you use for the vanilla ganache? White chocolate, cream, butter, vanilla?

Asking because im trying to emulate the taste of pastry cream without the need for white chocolate as it imparts a certain taste.

This is just a regular ganache with cream and white chocolate. I let the vanilla infuse in the fridge for three days by mistake. :D Planned for one, but it turned out amazing.

10 hours ago, MikanPotatos said:

I too have been interested in finding a more "custardy" white ganache, for example, to use in a crème brûlée filling.  I was pointed to Bird's custard powder (a staple in England).  I found a homemade recipe for it using confectioner's sugar, cornstarch, and nonfat milk powder.  At first I was put off by the idea, but I gave it a try, and if enough appropriate flavor (e.g., vanilla, fiori di Sicilia, almond) is added, it tastes remarkably like homemade custard (I omitted the yellow food coloring most recipes include).  I tested the water content, and it had an Aw reading of 0.7--not bad.   You mentioned avoiding white chocolate, so you might not like this approach, which calls for mixing the custard powder with white chocolate and cream, but, once again, it's all in the flavoring you add.  I use Valrhona's Opalys white chocolate, and to me it tastes better than any other white I have tried. You specifically mentioned seeking something like pastry cream.  The custard powder approaches that, but I don't think you can get pastry cream flavor without eggs.  Kee's Chocolates in New York City has a crème brûlée bonbon which it (famously) insists customers eat within two days.  I have food insurance, but I wouldn't trust customers to follow those directions.

11 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I too have been interested in finding a more "custardy" white ganache, for example, to use in a crème brûlée filling.  I was pointed to Bird's custard powder (a staple in England).  I found a homemade recipe for it using confectioner's sugar, cornstarch, and nonfat milk powder.  At first I was put off by the idea, but I gave it a try, and if enough appropriate flavor (e.g., vanilla, fiori di Sicilia, almond) is added, it tastes remarkably like homemade custard (I omitted the yellow food coloring most recipes include).  I tested the water content, and it had an Aw reading of 0.7--not bad.   You mentioned avoiding white chocolate, so you might not like this approach, which calls for mixing the custard powder with white chocolate and cream, but, once again, it's all in the flavoring you add.  I use Valrhona's Opalys white chocolate, and to me it tastes better than any other white I have tried. You specifically mentioned seeking something like pastry cream.  The custard powder approaches that, but I don't think you can get pastry cream flavor without eggs.  Kee's Chocolates in New York City has a crème brûlée bonbon which it (famously) insists customers eat within two days.  I have food insurance, but I wouldn't trust customers to follow those directions.

Hey Jim, 

I haven't used Valrhona before but I'll give it a shot. Funny that you mention custard powder, I had some on hand and mixed that with cream, condensed milk, vanilla, salt, carmalized white chocolate, white chocolate to make something that fit the creamy custard taste I was going for. 

• Like 1

Valentine's chocolates, Success this time! After the Christmas disaster, I stayed in the main house and just microwave tempered all my chocolate (I airbrushed in my work room and it worked out.)

I got the molds in the fridge at the right point, and the temper was great. They were trying to pop out before I was ready. Thanks to @Kerry Beal for the advice. 

Flavors are Raspberry Pinot, Mimosa, Espresso Orelys Pecan, Dulcey Hazelnut, Peanut Butter Crunch, Ruby Vanilla. 

6F7A3A7D-9EC4-466A-A72E-2A4ABCD0F189.jpeg

82C71D22-A2FA-4DB7-A38E-686F8135D60C.jpeg

1B50029E-328C-43B0-8CA3-0F8F43088582.jpeg

196E6700-3302-41AC-819D-582A44192CC1.jpeg

• Like 13

Those are beautiful, @RWood

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, RWood said:

Valentine's chocolates, Success this time! After the Christmas disaster, I stayed in the main house and just microwave tempered all my chocolate (I airbrushed in my work room and it worked out.)

I got the molds in the fridge at the right point, and the temper was great. They were trying to pop out before I was ready. Thanks to @Kerry Beal for the advice. 

Flavors are Raspberry Pinot, Mimosa, Espresso Orelys Pecan, Dulcey Hazelnut, Peanut Butter Crunch, Ruby Vanilla. 

6F7A3A7D-9EC4-466A-A72E-2A4ABCD0F189.jpeg

82C71D22-A2FA-4DB7-A38E-686F8135D60C.jpeg

1B50029E-328C-43B0-8CA3-0F8F43088582.jpeg

196E6700-3302-41AC-819D-582A44192CC1.jpeg

Stunning work!

• Thanks 1

20220208_115825.thumb.jpg.edc9bfa79ab4983aa33505a903e2891c.jpg

Valentines Chocolate:

Apple Tart - Apple Caramel, Apple filling, and crunchy chocolate

Cup of Jasmine Tea - Jasmine Tea and Purple Potato

Mikan Dream - Mikan caramel, Mikan cream

Chuhai - "Chuhai" syrup, sake lees ganache and sparkling candy

Valentines Special - Passion Fruit, Raspberry, and chocolate crunchies

Singaporean Breakfast - Milo, coffee, and cookies.

Japanese Inspired Ferrero Rocher - Kuri, Kurumi, Chocolate

Nerikiri Wagashi - Shiroan, anko, chocolate, strawberry cream ganache

Pineapple Cake - Pineapple Jam with warm spices, shortbread pastry

• Like 5

Assortment for Valentine's 2022:

valentines2022.thumb.jpg.054e24bcc6310fc1449f01505b1bc790.jpg

Top row: orange balsamic caramel, hazelnut gianduja & shortbread, sesame crunch, raspberry ganache with rosewater, "caramel macchiato" (caramel, vanilla, coffee), almond gianduja with cherries & almonds. Bottom row: "cookies & cream" (Speculoos cookie butter with vanilla ganache), "crème brûlée," dark caramel with Maldon sea salt, coconut cream, "bananas Foster," solid Arriba 72% chocolate with peppermint oil.

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2022 at 1:12 PM, Jim D. said:

Assortment for Valentine's 2022:

Top row: orange balsamic caramel, hazelnut gianduja & shortbread, sesame crunch, raspberry ganache with rosewater, "caramel macchiato" (caramel, vanilla, coffee), almond gianduja with cherries & almonds. Bottom row: "cookies & cream" (Speculoos cookie butter with vanilla ganache), "crème brûlée," dark caramel with Maldon sea salt, coconut cream, "bananas Foster," solid Arriba 72% chocolate with peppermint oil.

In a hurried drive from Texas to DC, found myself driving along Route 81 and had to run by Cranberry's to pick up some of Jim's chocolates.  With seven in our group, my only regret is that I didn't buy more than 2 boxes.  We're trying to savor them and not eat them all at once!  

The assortment we got has some of these same pieces.  The dark caramel shards and vanilla buttercream - creme brûlée (what's the difference between vanilla buttercream and vanilla ganache?) were delicious.  The raspberry ganache with rosewater had an intense raspberry paired nicely with the dark chocolate, and the chocolate chip cookie was aptly named (what filling did you use with the pecans, chocolate chunks and shortbread bits?  It didn't have any air bubbles in it and I wondered how you got it all in there so nicely).

We also really liked the texture of the crispy hazelnut ganache.  

I'm happy to report that Jim's chocolates are very nice to eat in addition to being nice to look at! 

IMG_6095.thumb.jpeg.b4c62832f01e516b7b3e73222d9fbaeb.jpeg

• Like 6

@GRiker, my only regret is that you didn't get in touch when you were here.  I was wondering why Cranberry's just notified me that they had sold out and needed another delivery--now I know.  Thank you for your very kind words.  I am impressed that you remembered the chocolates were available at that shop!

As far as the specifics go:  The filling that holds everything together in the chocolate chip cookie is pecan gianduja:  pecan praline paste plus Valrhona's Orelys--which has molasses flavor--and tempered (with @Kerry Beal's cocoa butter silk, of course).  There is a thread about this filling, and the major contributor, especially with suggesting Orelys, was @pastrygirl.  I pipe a little of it into the shells, then add toasted pecans, dark chocolate bits, and shortbread cut into very small pieces.  I press those into the gianduja, then add more gianduja on top.  It takes a large mold to contain all that.  Perhaps it's obvious why I don't make this item every day.  Why not just make a truffle with the same stuff in it?  For the simple reason that I haven't been able to roll it into a decent sphere for dipping.

Thanks again for your generous comments.

• Like 2

@Jim D. I would have loved to connect but long story short we were on a very tight timeline to get from Austin to DC and connect with family before they were flying out of DC.  We ended up with just over an hour to visit. I knew if I connected that we would miss them all together. I got some push back about even running into town!  We might be headed back that direction in a week or so and I’ll reach out if we do. 

Definitely can see why you don’t make that chocolate chip cookie everyday.  We agreed that these are not really for eating but that each one is a tasting experience.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, minas6907 said:

50 lb Sugar

50 lb Corn Syrup

8 gal. Water

1 oz Cream of Tartar

1 t Acetic Acid

Then the panning syrup:

2 qt Water

15 lb Sugar

15 lb Corn Syrup

4 ox Citric Acid

Colors

Hi @minas6907, would you mind sharing how you flavored the jelly beans?

Not mine, but some incredible chocolates that Mr. Kim arranged with @Jim D. for me to have for my birthday.  I mentioned them to him back when we were planning my little birthday adventure to Staunton VA and he took it from there.  I confess that I have steered away a bit from the gorgeous looking confections in the past - having experienced lots of beautiful shells, but underwhelming fillings.  That was SO not the case with these.  I know that they talked and that Jim designed the box with my taste in mind, which was SO appreciated.  There were nine different varieties and each one was delectable.  The box:

1726372177_1-IMG_0055-Copy.jpg.d59c99414b1d2823bce126d6d9d67f84.jpg

I cut the first of each one open - both to share with either Mr. Kim or Jessica and to show the insides. 

S'mores: toasted marshmallow, milk chocolate, graham cracker, molded in milk chocolate & Dark caramel with Maldon sea salt, molded in dark chocolate:

1195459813_1-IMG_0066-Copy.jpg.ca704456fae89972e0343c79e0290a9c.jpg1-IMG_0067.jpg.56dcea5c367d30893458e5b1dd9c8fc0.jpg

layers of dulce de leche caramel and Irish coffee ganache, molded in dark chocolate & caramelized almond gianduja with dried cherries and caramelized almonds, molded in dark chocolate:

1-IMG_0068.jpg.626157e59a723ff98e6a19e7d5362f37.jpg1-IMG_0130.jpg.05ac450b6b624f90daed208fbce720b0.jpg

Mango and passion fruit ganache with Sambuca liqueur, molded in milk chocolate:

1-IMG_0131.jpg.464f0d048aff56b026b17f692e1d5f0b.jpg

toasted coconut ganache with macadamias and lime zest, molded in dark chocolate:

1-IMG_0137.jpg.8b2fcc050dee71d91eaae300e11e8f3c.jpg

"Apple crisp" (apple pate de fruit, cream, spiced shortbread) molded in caramelized white chocolate:

1-IMG_0138.jpg.9336986aee8f16fb7a208c6dd70a69c7.jpg

Layers of crispy hazelnut praline gianduja and black currant ganache with Chambord liqueur, enrobed in milk chocolate, topped with a toasted hazelnut:

1-IMG_0149.jpg.cda83b218eb19a2b6a01ce471be92d02.jpg

"Crème brûlée" (vanilla buttercream with crunchy dark caramel shards) molded in dark chocolate:

1-IMG_0150.jpg.e7c4d9a06f9c6d823f41e3f9eed008d6.jpg

Please forgive the bad layout, couldn't figure out how to arrange the photos differently.  But you can imagine from the photos and descriptions how wonderful and inventing these combinations are.  Thank you again, @Jim D. for your welcome and your artistry!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 6