• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

That looks SO good, Sartoric.  I mean REALLY good.  I confess, I've never had falafel, but I know I'd like it.  Love the blue plate, too.

Thanks Shelby, I'm sure you'd like felafels too. I bought these, but they're easy to make. I carried that blue plate all the way home from Mexico nearly 30 years ago....

• Like 3

So many great looking meals.    

Sartoric, you can call your schnitzel whatever you want when it looks that good.  

Shelby I would be very happy with your chicken dinner.

Baked bagels today and had them for dinner

Bagels%20July%2028th%2C%202016%201-XL.jp

topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon.  Served with a cold dry Prosecco.

And earlier this week we had

Chicken%20with%20a%20mushroom%20sauce%20

Pan roasted chicken breasts with a mushroom sauce. 

• Like 25

Tonight I had two requirements from dinner. a) simple b) quick. 

It is 8 pm. At midnight, I will board a train for an eight hour overnight journey (I have a sleeper ticket) back to where I lived 20 years ago. The wilds of west Hunan. For a reunion party weekend. Looking forward to some of my favourite Chinese food.

So, in the meantime, here is dinner.

Fried wild shrimp with garlic, chili and scallions. Served with couscous. Five minutes to cook; even less to eat.

dinner.jpg

• Like 19

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Zucchini keftedes - zucchini fritters with grated zucchini, feta, scallions, dill, lemon zest, panko and an egg. Topped with yogurt and scallion greens. With the last of the garden peas with shallots and garlic and grilled mahi-mahi. This was the fourth night of my personal zucchini challenge and I must say it did not feel repetitive at all. But no zucchini tonight - just something very fast before we head out to the local summer stock theater for A Chorus Line. 

DSC01452.jpg

• Like 16

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Wednesday night while my DH was eating lobster at his Men's Golf Night, I had ribeye with green beans, grilled mushrooms and potatoes.

Last night was lobster risotto with the lobster that my DH brought home from Wednesday.  Also had ribbon zucs with lemon, anchovy, olive oil, and garlic dressing and cherry tomatoes with basil.

DSC01546.jpgDSC01548.jpg

• Like 22

10 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Kielbasa and onions, cooked in foil on the grill, bruschetta and corn on the cob.

HC

IMG_1500.JPG

Please give me one photo of your corn, preferably with butter dripping off of it. You can call me corn deprived! Thanks HC.

• Like 7

I really miss good corn from Japan. This thread has made me realise how much it's now off my rotation and how I should maybe give poor old UK corn a chance. Next year the corn beds happen :) though.

• Like 5

Tomatoes, basil, scallions from MY garden!  Cucumber was given to me by a nice lady in thrift shop.

image.jpg

Pork shashlik ready to be grilled

image.jpg

Grilled and served with leftover tarbais beans and geens

image.jpg

• Like 18

Various meals from an initial pot of stuff.

Pork baby back ribs, winter-type bamboo shoots, salted preserved mustard (梅菜), straw mushrooms, tofu skin rolls, chicken stock, garlic, various seasonings.

With rice:

DSCN0362b_600.jpg

Plus Stir-fried ong choy w/ tau see (fermented salted soy beans) and ripe Hungarian Wax peppers.

DSCN0357b_500.jpg

The leftover pork ribs braise made into a hearty soupy stew, with firm tofu chunks added in. Seasoning & volumes adjusted.

DSCN0369a_600.jpg

The leftover soupy stew augmented w/ more tofu, seasoning readjusted, served over mei-fun and banh pho.

DSCN0399b_600.jpg

Plus stir-fried Peppermint & Red Swiss Chards.

DSCN0396b_500.jpg

• Like 10

Zazie is supposed to be a San Francisco classic.

Well, I wasn't feeling it tonight.  Maybe we ordered wrong...but I doubt it.

IMG_7515.JPG

Mediterranean roasted vegetable plate with basil, feta and aioli.

Clockwise from left: spiced mushrooms, roasted peppers, sliced tomatoes, feta cheese + aioli, eggplant, garlicky green beans, roasted potatoes.

IMG_7518.JPG

Charcuterie plate.

Clockwise from center: mixed olives, prosciutto, toast points, mixed green salad, pâté, salmon rillettes, cornichons, mustard.

The pâté tasted like nothing mixed with cream and the salmon could have come out of a can. Everything else was "fine".

IMG_7523.JPG

Wild Coho salmon, pesto Parmesan crust, toybox tomatoes, sugar snap peas and cauliflower purée.

This is a very good example of a kitchen that doesn't understand "less is more". Why put a crust on a fish that doesn't need it? For $29.

IMG_7526.JPG

Bourride.

Easily the best thing we had all night. This version had sea bass, clams, mussels, leeks, fennel and tomatoes. Can't really go wrong with fish stew. No aioli which is the traditional accompaniment.

IMG_7532.JPG

Brebis des Pyrénées, figs poached in port wine, walnut levain.

IMG_7534.JPG

Worst version of tarte tatin ever, served with crème fraîche.

I couldn't help but compare this to what I had at Buvette in NYC (see the next pic) with each and every bite. Barely caramelized apples and not very buttery puff pastry which was more of a vol-au-vent, come to think of it.

14924472730_f6cfb4dced_o.jpg

14924543338_2028f35583_o.jpg

This is more along the lines of what I was expecting.  Pity.

I might not have been so harsh above were it not for the fact that we were forgotten about for nearly 10-15 minutes after having been deposited at our table.  Getting the check was equally as difficult, as if we were at the dentist and having our teeth pulled.

I now see why Zazie is recommended for brunch, not so much for other meals.

Zazie

941 Cole Street (Parnassus Avenue)

Cole Valley

San Francisco

Edited by ProfessionalHobbit (log)
  • Like 13

Sirloin tip roast sv'd at 132,  browned in a cast iron skillet after getting a thin coating of the amazing browning powder  from Okanagancook.   I made a fresh batch of the powder by weight.  Good thing, too, as the dextrose is much lighter than the baking soda.  We had .mixed roasted vegetables and mashed sweet potatoes with this.  Husband asked if I wanted Yorkies,  and I said no.  Sure wish I had said yes when we started to eat. 

20160729_195539.jpg

• Like 17

This is a bit of a teaser. I'm in the middle of the second large banquet of the day with 36 old friends/colleagues. In western Hunan.

Here is the duck dish. Duck with chilli and chilli and a bit of chilli. Awesome flavour. 

More when I get home on Monday.

20160730_204939.jpg

Dinner continues.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 20

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When I was making Cassolet recently, in one of the recipes I saw, it said that cassolet wasn't a recipe, but rather a dish for neighboring towns in France to argue over.  Korean fried chicken is sort of the same way. I tried yet another version today.  After I finished them and some dipping sauces, Charlie tossed them in one of the sauces and fried them again for a minute or two.  With them we had rice , kimchi, a tossed salad from a bag, and some strawberry shortcake. 

DSCN3671.jpg

DSCN3674.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 18