• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Home Appliances are Junk

Jason Perlow

Oh @Shelby ! PITA  So your other machines make enuf ice to keep things cold enuf until Monday? Even with warranties - one can't get parts!  Installed new good quality kitchen faucet less than 3 years ago. Heard BOOM middle of nght. There is a cartridge inside that blew. Not reasonably fixable so had to buy new faucet. 

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Oh @Shelby ! PITA  So your other machines make enuf ice to keep things cold enuf until Monday? Even with warranties - one can't get parts!  Installed new good quality kitchen faucet less than 3 years ago. Heard BOOM middle of nght. There is a cartridge inside that blew. Not reasonably fixable so had to buy new faucet. 

UGH I feel your pain.

No, we have to go to a gas station and keep buying bags every day.

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

🤣I'm blessed to have more freezers and this big ass cooler.

That really is an impressive cooler. But still ... much nicer to have a working fridge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

UGH I feel your pain.

No, we have to go to a gas station and keep buying bags every day.

No dry ice option I guess?

31 minutes ago, Shelby said:

But, as hard as I tried, begged, offered him most anything, they can't deliver and install until sometime on Monday.

You should show him pics and offer a home-cooked meal if he can install the fridge before Monday. 

I bet he takes you up on it.  😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

We thought about that but it's very hard to find around here and the regular ice is closer.

May not be helpful, but I've gotten dry ice in welding supply stores.   Farm country generally has those around because equipment breaks a lot.

• Thanks 1

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday:  bribery works.

In a last desperate act I called the appliance store yesterday morning.  I felt really weird about doing it....nervous actually...but I did it.  I told the woman that answered that I felt like a criminal asking this which started her laughing.  I offered $100 each to the two people who would be delivering the fridge if they wanted to deliver before or after hours or over the weekend as long as it was before Monday.  She said her son (who is 17 and works there) would probably jump at that and told me she'd call back.  An hour later I got the wonderful call that they would be out yesterday evening!!!!  REALLY nice guys.  Knew exactly what they were doing, polite, personable.  It was so hot and I knew they were tired but they acted like I was their first customer of the day.  Took my old piece of crap out and got the new one all set up.  Got here about 5:30 and were done by about 7:30.

We have a fridge!!! And it works!!! (so far)

thumbnail_IMG_4789.jpg.68fa4343c1862f5f4a9277b8e0215f66.jpg

Save a bit by buying a scratch and dent.  I don't care as long as it works!

thumbnail_IMG_4790.jpg.49d0a16eac753c0bdf275c79b2d0c4ed.jpg

Look now because even though I want to try, I bet it doesn't stay this organized lol.

I have more to transfer to the freezer but seeing how it feels like 108F right now, that's not happening.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Glad you have a working fridge @Shelby

In other news, I replaced two of the igniters on our cooktop. One igniter would go "tick-tick-tick" if set below medium. The other stopped going "tick" at all so we had to keep a fire starter next to the cooktop.

The Blue Star cooktop is about 18 years old, so replacing an igniter every once in a while seems pretty reasonable.  :smile:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

In other news, I replaced two of the igniters on our cooktop. One igniter would go "tick-tick-tick" if set below medium. The other stopped going "tick" at all so we had to keep a fire starter next to the cooktop.

The Blue Star cooktop is about 18 years old, so replacing an igniter every once in a while seems pretty reasonable.  :smile:

Dang igniters. Here the counter stovetop is only 8 or so years old - Bpsh. 5 burners and most used front right went bonkers couple years ago - the click click click. I asked  here and on Bosh sites. I cleaned it. But it goes out when stepmother in town She is a clean freak and who knows what she sprays there. I gave up and only use the 2 burners on the far left.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

so we had to keep a fire starter next to the cooktop.

I also started doing this due to a wonky igniter.  That one seems to have cured itself but that little lighter has been quite handy during power outages.  Like day before yesterday when it went off unexpectedly for a few hours.  I'm keeping it in the utensil bin!

• Like 4

OMG.

"igniters" work on a high difference in voltage between the 'igniter (physical ) post and the burner "ring"

as dirt/crud/crap/detritus "accumulates" - the post short circuits due the crud between the high voltage post and the 'insulators' -  and there is no long a spark from the igniter post to the burner ring.

if you take the whole thing apart and clean out all the crud between the high voltage post 'wire' and the 'insulator' - self ignition will again 'work"

for a couple days.

I simply unplugged the 'igniter' box and use a separate 'wand' device.

that is how Viking "Professional" non-works, non-fixable, 'its your fault' type cooktops work.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, Shelby said:

I offered $100 each to the two people who would be delivering the fridge if they wanted to deliver before or after hours or over the weekend as long as it was before Monday.

You are a very wise woman! Smart of you to give it a go. And so happy for you that it worked! 😄

On 7/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, Shelby said:

Save a bit by buying a scratch and dent.

That tiny dent is at perfect cat height, just begging for a magnet or sticker just for them! A little mouse sticker would be funny. 😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 2:42 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Oh no!  I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this and hope this is just a short term situation!

Another reminder to go get another fridge in preparation for the eventual demise of my 30+ year old one!

Well, I failed to heed my own advice and my fridge is giving up the ghost.  It was hovering around 40°F yesterday.  Freezer was at -1°F, a few degrees above normal.  I thought I might not have closed the fridge door properly and hoped that a nice long overnight with no opening it would give it time to recover.  Alas, it was 50°F this morning and the freezer up to 1°F.   

Went to Lowes and bought a small, but full-sized one that will be delivered tomorrow.  It will fit into what used to be a laundry closet, right around the corner from the kitchen and could eventually become a garage fridge.

A previous owner built the kitchen cabinets very closely around the now dying fridge.  It's a side-by-side with panels that match the cabinets and I'm going to need a bit of time to figure out what to replace it with.  My preference is no ice maker and that ruled out anything available quickly.

While I was at Lowes, I bought a cooler and stopped for ice on the way home.  I put enough dry ice into the freezer to keep everything in frozen.  Now I need to start the fridge clean out, toss anything perishable and use the cooler for stuff like fruit, veg, cheese, mustard, pickles, jams, etc. that I'd still eat.  Shouldn't be anything stinky yet but I'm not really looking forward to it!  And even if it doesn't stink now, it surely will by the time the trash gets picked up on Friday!

• Sad 8

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Well, I failed to heed my own advice and my fridge is giving up the ghost.  It was hovering around 40°F yesterday.  Freezer was at -1°F, a few degrees above normal.  I thought I might not have closed the fridge door properly and hoped that a nice long overnight with no opening it would give it time to recover.  Alas, it was 50°F this morning and the freezer up to 1°F.   

Went to Lowes and bought a small, but full-sized one that will be delivered tomorrow.  It will fit into what used to be a laundry closet, right around the corner from the kitchen and could eventually become a garage fridge.

A previous owner built the kitchen cabinets very closely around the now dying fridge.  It's a side-by-side with panels that match the cabinets and I'm going to need a bit of time to figure out what to replace it with.  My preference is no ice maker and that ruled out anything available quickly.

While I was at Lowes, I bought a cooler and stopped for ice on the way home.  I put enough dry ice into the freezer to keep everything in frozen.  Now I need to start the fridge clean out, toss anything perishable and use the cooler for stuff like fruit, veg, cheese, mustard, pickles, jams, etc. that I'd still eat.  Shouldn't be anything stinky yet but I'm not really looking forward to it!  And even if it doesn't stink now, it surely will by the time the trash gets picked up on Friday!

Oh do I feel your pain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh do I feel your pain.

Yes, I've certainly been thinking of your ordeal.  Thankfully, I didn't have to resort to bribery....yet!

And, I'm very, very lucky that I can afford to replace it and was able to find one I could get delivered on short notice!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, I've certainly been thinking of your ordeal.  Thankfully, I didn't have to resort to bribery....yet!

And, I'm very, very lucky that I can afford to replace it and was able to find one I could get delivered on short notice!

There are benefits to living in a bigger city for sure.  I'm so glad you are getting one so soon although I know that even being without for a couple of days is not fun.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have a freezer alarm on its way from Thermoworks.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a freezer alarm on its way from Thermoworks.

Excellent idea.  Not that it would have helped me here as the freezer temps have remained within an acceptable range (based on the min-max display on the little Thermoworks Spot that lives in there) though a fridge alarm might have helpfully woken me up in the middle of the night and provided me a bit more time for online fridge shopping!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Excellent idea.  Not that it would have helped me here as the freezer temps have remained within an acceptable range (based on the min-max display on the little Thermoworks Spot that lives in there) though a fridge alarm might have helpfully woken me up in the middle of the night and provided me a bit more time for online fridge shopping!

That's what the repair person told me was so strange about mine.  Usually the fridge gets warm first and then the freezer.  Mine was the other way around.

• Like 1