• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Home Appliances are Junk

Jason Perlow

5 hours ago, IowaDee said:

But I stand by my feelings that their products can't hold a candle to the ones they once produced. 

That applies to several brands, of course. :S

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

21 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Frigidaire dishwasher started leaking mid-cycle last night. Not onto the tile kitchen floor, but into the living room, seeping under the carpet. I walked through and thought to myself, "Why is this carpet squishy?" 

I kept sopping it up, and 30 minutes later it would be swampy again. Finally managed to get most of the water up about midnight and put some fans on it. 

Sorry to hear about your nasty experiences with a Frigidaire dishwasher.

Here are accounts one, two and three of my experience with the hated machine I nicknamed POSTI. 

I hope to never have another electronic control panel dishwasher. They are anathema to me.

Who knew that hot water, steamy moisture, caustic chemicals and vibration could cause a problem with electronics? Certainly not the over-educated but stupid engineers who designed the POSTI's plaguing us. 9_9

Edit: Frigidaire used to a solid and trusted brand. USED to be.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

On 8/22/2017 at 9:38 AM, chileheadmike said:

Frigidaire dishwasher started leaking mid-cycle last night. Not onto the tile kitchen floor, but into the living room, seeping under the carpet. I walked through and thought to myself, "Why is this carpet squishy?" 

I kept sopping it up, and 30 minutes later it would be swampy again. Finally managed to get most of the water up about midnight and put some fans on it. 

Service guy gave last rights to the Frigidaire. Seems the element overheated and broke the nut holding the heater on and cracked the tank, thus leaking copious amounts of water. When they built the home, they only laid enough tile to make it look good leaving a void near the back of the unit. This caused any water leaking, not sure that much water can be considered a leak, to roll downhill under the wall and into the living room.  Everything seems to be dry now, we'll check the wood as much as we can to make sure it's dry and avoid mold. 

New Whirlpool will be installed this afternoon. 

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

2 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Service guy gave last rights to the Frigidaire. Seems the element overheated and broke the nut holding the heater on and cracked the tank, thus leaking copious amounts of water. When they built the home, they only laid enough tile to make it look good leaving a void near the back of the unit. This caused any water leaking, not sure that much water can be considered a leak, to roll downhill under the wall and into the living room.  Everything seems to be dry now, we'll check the wood as much as we can to make sure it's dry and avoid mold. 

New Whirlpool will be installed this afternoon. 

I'd take photos of the damage and leaking unit. Might be covered by your insurance...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Sorry to hear about your nasty experiences with a Frigidaire dishwasher.

Here are accounts one, two and three of my experience with the hated machine I nicknamed POSTI. 

I hope to never have another electronic control panel dishwasher. They are anathema to me.

Who knew that hot water, steamy moisture, caustic chemicals and vibration could cause a problem with electronics? Certainly not the over-educated but stupid engineers who designed the POSTI's plaguing us. 9_9

Edit: Frigidaire used to a solid and trusted brand. USED to be.

We bought our house new about 5 years ago. Our only option for appliances was Frigidaire. We upgraded to their Gallery line.  After many service calls for the fridge, they replaced it. We're still having problems with the ice maker and just gave up trying to fix it, we make our own now.

Element went out on the stove the 1st week.

Light fixture broke on the microwave the 1st time I had to replace it. 

Never again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

FWIW we had to replace our refrigerator, dishwasher, range, and washing machine in the last 2 years. 

Every single new one has been both a major upgrade and totally reliable (touch wood) thus far. 

If anything, they seem much better made (as well as designed) than appliances from 10-15 years ago. 

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, weedy said:

FWIW we had to replace our refrigerator, dishwasher, range, and washing machine in the last 2 years. 

Every single new one has been both a major upgrade and totally reliable (touch wood) thus far. 

If anything, they seem much better made (as well as designed) than appliances from 10-15 years ago. 

Please give us an update when they're 5 or 10 years old and beyond.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

So many brands have quickly gone to hell after an acquisition or snip-off.

Locally, when Corning's kitchenware product manufacturing (Pyrex, Corningware, Corelle, Visions, etc.) was purchased by Borden (World Kitchen) in 1998—things went downhill REAL fast.

And yes, Corning did make some small appliances. I have a small Pyrex (real Pyrex) topped electric warmer around here somewhere.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

The Corning ware electric coffee maker was the best ever.  Perfect coffee and so easy to keep spotless.  

Really!!!  I still have mine!  Got it in 1968 as a wedding present.  I've kept it all these years although the only time I use it is around the holidays when I make percolator punch with it.

(the one shown here is not mine, but looks just like it.)

Corning Blue Cornflower 10 Cup Electric Percolator Coffee Pot WORKS  (for parts)

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, weedy said:

I sense pessimism

See my signature info (pessimism is sort of implied)

I'm generally, but not always, pessimistic. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IowaDee said:

The Corning ware electric coffee maker was the best ever.  Perfect coffee and so easy to keep spotless.  

EXCEPT!  There was a major recall of the percolators that had the metal tops because the adhesive on many of them failed after a few years and a hot pot would drop and break, often scalding the person holding the handle.  Both stovetop and electric.

This was a SAFE model all ceramic with a metal collar for the handle attachment. 

59a05b517ec92_ScreenShot2017-08-25at10_15_03AM.png.f3ab993d5d066b75fbfe49f552c5a11e.png

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is a photo of the "corrected"  electric Corningware pot showing how the metal collar has "lugs" that grasp the upper edge of the ceramic vessel so that even if the epoxy fails, the collar will remain fixed to the vessel.

59a05d16e135a_ScreenShot2017-08-25at10_20_27AM.thumb.png.5e8e33260d3be99f54456552729b6328.png

And this is the interior of the older, recalled version that was subject to coming loose.

59a05d9d3ba40_ScreenShot2017-08-25at10_25_09AM.png.6261a0c1358db5183870abcffa97a957.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I wasn't aware of the recall.

mine IS the older version (though I had to fish it out of the pantry to be sure.

I kinda doubt they'd replace mine nearly 50 years later.  9_9

I'll be handling it much more carefully in the future.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe I could return my recalled percolator to Nordstrom.

(assuming you saw the piece on TV about the guy who returned his snow tires there and got a refund.)

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember the recall and how sad it made me.  You had to return the lid, not the entire pot.  You got a coupon good for quite a bit of credit towards other Corning products.   I "bought a cornflower casserole, square baking dish, pie pan I think, two grabit sets.  All in all, I'd give them all back to have a working percolator again.

Maybe Corning is like Sears used to be.  It was almost a joke that you could return about anything, anytime for any reason.

• Like 2

I remember that recall.  My parents had been using their Corning percolator for years.  When they heard about the recall and heard that a pot replacement was NOT an option, and that the compensation would be credit toward the purchase of items they didn't need, my mother said "fiddle dee dee" and went right on using it.  I have that pot now. 

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

Even after the tune-up, the piece-of-junk range is setting off the carbon monoxide detector.

Maybe it is time to roll it off a cliff!!!

I hate to keep the newly installed ceiling vent—yes, thank God (and a friend,) I finally have a powered vent to the outdoors in the kitchen—on all the time!

:S

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

3 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Even after the tune-up, the piece-of-junk range is setting off the carbon monoxide detector.

I hate to keep the newly installed ceiling vent—yes, thank God (and a friend,) I finally have a powered vent to the outdoors in the kitchen—on all the time!

Any chance its a bad detector?

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Possible, but the detector is brand new.

Installed less than 2 weeks ago.

19 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm sorry, but if you've said upthread whether the range is gas or electric, I can't seem to find it. If it is gas and setting off the CO detector that is more concerning, of course. If it's electric, like mine, that is another story. Could it just be dirty?

I despise cleaning an oven on my knees breathing bad fumes in rubber gloves. The last time mine was cleaned was probably more than 20 years ago when I was paying a German lady who came over here for a death row inmate she had been writing to. She had a photo that she like to show everyone of the inmate, Bobby Lee Harris, behind bars with a teddy bear. She loved pizza and used to make the reporters who wanted to interview her take her here in return for talking to them. 

This was when my brother was still a lawyer and that is how I met her. She was wondering how she could make a living as an illegal immigrant, and I was using a maid service (very expensive). I suggested that she could easily make a living cleaning homes and she could start with mine. Maid service is only a nice fantasy now. It didn't work out with Daggi long term as she did not have a car, so I had to pick her up and take her home, which was bad enough. It turned into me taking her to the post office, the grocery store, and even Walmart. One time I picked her up and asked her to clean the ceiling fans, but she refused because she had just taken a shower. Who takes a shower before they clean?! She broke some stuff too, and never offered to pay for it. I'll never be a good boss because I just can't be mean enough. They say most executives profile as psychopaths on tests. 

The best defense to a dirty oven I have found is to cover the lower rack mostly, but not all the way, because it will cause problems with circulation and the thermostat, in aluminum foil sheets. The sides still get spattered, but that will polymerize and not be that bad and you can change out the foil sheets when the detector protests. The bottom of my oven is still virtually spotless, despite the lack of cleaning.

My electric oven will set off the smoke/CO detector every single time I broil meat in it. I think the damned detector is a vegetarian. 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

33 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

...whether the range is gas or electric...

It's gas.

34 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Could it just be dirty?

No, it is not/was not any dirtier than the average range.

Community development tested the carbon monoxide emissions of the stove top burners and the oven and determined that the range emitted dangerous CO levels.

They then cleaned and tuned all the external and internal burners, supposedly bringing it down to safe levels.

If the tuning doesn't work, the only other options are a new range (or some different replacement) or exhaust fan that runs permanently.

17 hours ago, gfweb said:

Two, brand-new, same model, detectors were installed at the same time. I've switched them to see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1