• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Home Appliances are Junk

Jason Perlow

1 hour ago, palo said:

CDN Amazon is $861 + $5 shipping

p

?????   To what does this refer?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, palo said:

Oster double door oven

p

Holy cow!  How can it be that much more in Canada?

How much does it cost to drive to the states?

No wonder a friend who used to live in Hamilton would drive to Niagara Falls to a friend's place to get things shipped there.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 8.55.24 AM.png

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

9 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Holy cow!  How can it be that much more in Canada?

How much does it cost to drive to the states?

No wonder a friend who used to live in Hamilton would drive to Niagara Falls to a friend's place to get things shipped there.

The quoted price is an outlier. Certainly much more expensive from .ca but not $800+. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

That's the non-digital model, which is even less at BB&B. $149.99

It may also qualify for their 20% off coupon.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Sorry, I did not pay attention to the photos.  

I have the Digital model.  

Still very happy with it.  This is with a 15-inch pizza pan holding current scones and with a 1/4 size sheet pan on the bottom shelf.

Used the convection setting 400°F  11 minutes.  

The sheet pan fits either way.  

currant scones.jpg

currant scones3.jpg

currant scones2.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lindag said:

That oven is remarkably clean!!!

(I tend to notice things like that.)

It is still quite new.  I have not yet tried the "grill" function.  I am sure that will dirty it up a bit.

But I do try to keep things clean.  This has bot a drip pan and the pan that came with it, which is slightly larger than a 1/4 sheet pan in both dimensions. 

The fact that my 15-inch pizza pans fit it really floats my boat.  I like to use them because they are heavy steel and are virtually non-stick but without a non-stick coating.  Made by Hoffritz - which no longer makes them.  I have four and wish I had bought more.  

If I have to rotate the pan if something is not baking evenly, it is much easier to just spin the pan rather than pull it out and turn it - especially with my arthritic hands.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2016 at 8:01 AM, andiesenji said:

It is still quite new.  I have not yet tried the "grill" function.  I am sure that will dirty it up a bit.

But I do try to keep things clean.  This has bot a drip pan and the pan that came with it, which is slightly larger than a 1/4 sheet pan in both dimensions. 

The fact that my 15-inch pizza pans fit it really floats my boat.  I like to use them because they are heavy steel and are virtually non-stick but without a non-stick coating.  Made by Hoffritz - which no longer makes them.  I have four and wish I had bought more.  

If I have to rotate the pan if something is not baking evenly, it is much easier to just spin the pan rather than pull it out and turn it - especially with my arthritic hands.

Hi Andie!  The new oven looks good and looking forward to reading your further comments on how it performs.  It would definitely have been of interest to me with the fact that it is so roomy inside.  However, after waiting about two years with a Breville "smart" oven in my Amazon basket waiting for a price drop, it finally did for one day a couple of weeks ago so I bought one.

It's nice to see you still on the board here as I've been away for a few years.  BTW, you gave me some good advice on mixers about five years ago and I am still happily using the Assistent mixer I bought at that time.  Easily does double the load my 5-quart KA "Commercial" does.

Hope you are well and enjoy your posts as always.

Dave

• Like 2

On 7/25/2016 at 2:30 PM, Cyberider said:

Hi Andie!  The new oven looks good and looking forward to reading your further comments on how it performs.  It would definitely have been of interest to me with the fact that it is so roomy inside.  However, after waiting about two years with a Breville "smart" oven in my Amazon basket waiting for a price drop, it finally did for one day a couple of weeks ago so I bought one.

It's nice to see you still on the board here as I've been away for a few years.  BTW, you gave me some good advice on mixers about five years ago and I am still happily using the Assistent mixer I bought at that time.  Easily does double the load my 5-quart KA "Commercial" does.

Hope you are well and enjoy your posts as always.

Dave

Another interesting advantage to this oven, that some people seem to not like, is that tiny gap between the doors when fully closed.

Yesterday I did a roast wrapped in foil - with some dried onions and seasoning (I used to use Lipton's onion soup mix but it has too much salt).  Anyway - I used my ThermoWorks  remote probe thermometer and the cable fit perfectly in that little gap between the doors.

This morning I baked biscuits again, and this time I preheated it and used the convection/bake setting.  Got more early rise than with putting them in the cold oven.  

Still very pleased with this oven.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2016 at 1:37 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

The GE range is still going, but has some issues. About 3 years ago, rust started developing rust on the bottom of the oven door, that's gotten progressively worse. All markings wore of of the oven knob — I REFUSE to pay $35 for a replacement!

Worst of all, the oven floor has started to burn through in spots!!!! GRRRrrrrr!!! >:(

Had an energy/safety audit performed a couple months ago.

The now ~7 year old GE gas range, which started going to hell at around 3 years old, is emitting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO.)

This isn't a top of the line stove nor was it bottom of the barrel. It wasn't inexpensive. Not for me anyway! :sad:

I will NOT buy GE (now owned by Haier) appliances ever again!!! I'm not a happy camper. :angry:

"In 2016, Haier Group acquired GE Appliances. Being a part of this large global organization provides GE Appliances with additional resources to continue to innovate and sell our products internationally."

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My GE oven/range from the 70's when this place was built is still going strong as far as the range top goes. The oven is broken, but you couldn't give me an electronic one. Of course they won't get very hot. That would immediately melt the electronics. They want to wait a year or so for it to fry them and fail so you'll have to buy another one.

My Sears washer and dryer that I bought when I moved here in 1989 are still doing me good service. They are made by Whirlpool according to the saleswoman who assisted me with my purchase and the repairman who replaced a drive gear on the washer a few years ago. That repair business is no longer extant, though, so I have no idea where to find help now. Did y'all know there is such a whimsical and amusingly named part in a washing machine called a wig wag

We also had a TV repair business in downtown Cary which has disappeared since the flatscreens came to dominate the market. I guess those are disposable too? *Sigh*

Yeah, electronics in heat, moisture, vibration environments just really suck and are not well thought out, except for the profit motive. I avoid these whenever possible. When I heard they were using electronics in cars, I knew it was a really, really bad idea.

My brother likes to bring up my reaction to plastic radiators in cars to amuse people, going up into a falsetto voice (my voice is actually a pretty deep alto) but he always gets a laugh. I can get shrill when I am profoundly upset. :) They actually have these things on cars nowadays, and it is abhorrent to me. I spent a good $120 on a replacement top-of-the line brass radiator for my 1979 Chevy Malibu. I drove that car until 3 years ago. Betcha they charge even more for the plastic  ones now.

If someone (probably with a lot more money and power than me) doesn't stand up for actually durable "durable" goods, I think we are all doomed.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Perhaps I should have have looked into having the old range overhauled that was here when I bought the place. I don't know. :S

When this range goes completely belly up—I don't think I'll ever own a kitchen range again.

Actually, I feel like tossing it off a cliff now! xD

I think I'll go with a high-end 'portable' induction cooktop and something like the countertop ovens mentioned previously in this thread.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Perhaps I should have have looked into having the old range overhauled that was here when I bought the place. I don't know. :S

When this range goes completely belly up—I don't think I'll ever own a kitchen range again.

Actually, I feel like tossing it off a cliff now! xD

I think I'll go with a high-end 'portable' induction cooktop and something like the countertop ovens mentioned previously in this thread.

Countertop ovens make so much sense. They are quick to come up to temp and are efficient. Comparatively cheap to replace. I use them way more than the regular oven...like 100 times more frequently.

• Like 6

Frigidaire dishwasher started leaking mid-cycle last night. Not onto the tile kitchen floor, but into the living room, seeping under the carpet. I walked through and thought to myself, "Why is this carpet squishy?" 

I kept sopping it up, and 30 minutes later it would be swampy again. Finally managed to get most of the water up about midnight and put some fans on it. 

• Sad 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

When we were married, Maytag appliances were the brand to dream about.  No way on earth could our budget stretch to pay for them.  As the years went buy we were able to purchase a Maytag washing machine which is still going strong.  

Then on April 1, 2006 Maytag sold out to Whirlpool Co.  And that was the end of Maytag's quality appliances.  Too bad we didn't catch on sooner.  We were now in a position to buy a stove, dishwasher and fridge  all with the coveted Maytag name.  Looking back, I should have realized that selling the company on April Fool's Day should have sent up a red flag.  

Whirlpool took a well respected company with a stellar reputation and ran it straight into the ground.  I have a fridge that snaps, crackles and pops more than any bowl of Rice Krispies. a dishwasher that sounds like it is crushing gravel with every load and a stove  with an oven that takes eons to reach temperature.  Baking  cookies is a constant dance of rotate the sheets due to the uneven heating.  

I bought a Breville Smart Oven in January and can count on the fingers of one hand the times I have fired up the Maytag monster.  Have no idea what we will do when in is time to replace the other miserable Maytag appliances.

In the meantime, the old Maytag washer just keeps going and going and may put that pink battery bunny to shame some day.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Frigidaire dishwasher started leaking mid-cycle last night. Not onto the tile kitchen floor, but into the living room, seeping under the carpet. I walked through and thought to myself, "Why is this carpet squishy?" 

I kept sopping it up, and 30 minutes later it would be swampy again. Finally managed to get most of the water up about midnight and put some fans on it. 

If I may suggest, somehow try to get under your carpet and get the fans blowing under it.

Years ago my folks had a flood in their basement which was carpeted - only thing that saved them from mold & mildew was getting some industrial fans pumping air under the carpet.

Oh, and back on topic - things these days, sadly, are built to break!  Too many plastic parts, too many electronics, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

I have a big stain on the carpet in my TV room that came from a leaky hot water (copper) pipe in the ceiling.

Will be having a local carpet cleaning service come soon...I just hope they can get that stain out!

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

When we were married, Maytag appliances were the brand to dream about.  No way on earth could our budget stretch to pay for them.  As the years went buy we were able to purchase a Maytag washing machine which is still going strong.  

Then on April 1, 2006 Maytag sold out to Whirlpool Co.  And that was the end of Maytag's quality appliances.  Too bad we didn't catch on sooner.  We were now in a position to buy a stove, dishwasher and fridge  all with the coveted Maytag name.  Looking back, I should have realized that selling the company on April Fool's Day should have sent up a red flag.  

Whirlpool took a well respected company with a stellar reputation and ran it straight into the ground.  I have a fridge that snaps, crackles and pops more than any bowl of Rice Krispies. a dishwasher that sounds like it is crushing gravel with every load and a stove  with an oven that takes eons to reach temperature.  Baking  cookies is a constant dance of rotate the sheets due to the uneven heating.  

I bought a Breville Smart Oven in January and can count on the fingers of one hand the times I have fired up the Maytag monster.  Have no idea what we will do when in is time to replace the other miserable Maytag appliances.

In the meantime, the old Maytag washer just keeps going and going and may put that pink battery bunny to shame some day.

Actually that's not true.  Maytag killed themselves, primarily due to the massive issues with their front-load washers, but their quality and design of everything was bad. I had Maytag appliances from that period that were just terrible.  Whirlpool bought Maytag for a song and replaced the Maytag built and designed appliances and saved the brand. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

4 hours ago, IowaDee said:

We also have a Maytag fridge and dishwasher. I don't know what sounds yours are producing, but for ours, those loud pops are somehow related to energy efficiency, so I've been told. And the grinding sound in our dishwasher occurrs just at the start of a wash, as it's the actual food grinder; the rest of the cycle is very quiet.

That said, there are two known QC issues with our fridge: an air flow flap at the top rear that starts to make a lot of noise, and a drainage issue that causes water to pool and freeze on the floor of the bottom freezer. Both were fixed under warranty, but I was greatly irked that there was no recall.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I apologize if the information I posted as to the demise of Maytag was not accurate.  I gleaned it from reading local accounts by disgruntled former employees. I realize they were hardly unbiased.  But I stand by my feelings that their products can't hold a candle to the ones they once produced. 

Alex, thanks for mentioning the possible reason for the loud pop.  I had not heard that explanation before.  Our  dishwasher makes noises all through the cycles.  It is getting some age on it so maybe we will be able to replace it without guilt soon. 

• Like 1

The pops are actually related to how the defrost cycle is handled in newer no-frost refrigerators. Here's some info from GE. If a grinding noise is present in every cycle, then yeah, it's probably time to start shopping around for a new one.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

I realize they were hardly unbiased.  But I stand by my feelings that their products can't hold a candle to the ones they once produced. 

That's true, but isn't it true of almost every manufacturer?  To reiterate, Maytag quality used to be very high, then went downhill to the point where they were about to go out of business, then Whirlpool bought them.  The quality may not be as high as it once was, but it's way higher than in the years right before Whirlpool.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs