• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide for a newbie?

KitchenQueen

my view is that HardWare of any kind should be viewed as a single one time purchase.  decided if you want it or need it.

i think SV is a need more than a want once you see what that can do.  a freezer helps but thats SV2  

you don't need to use it often to get you value back, just at the right time.

I have 2 anovas, v1 and v2.   I also have the SV magic if that'w what its called from way back.  I m currently trying to munch down my SV freezer which

determines current new SV projects

wait a bit for an anova sale.  can't wait ? get the anova now.  assuming its in your total life budget.

the monthly bits and bits payments are the ones that will bankrupt you not an anova

think about it :  Anova SV'd Octopus !

• Like 1

Thanks for those answers. I think I can wait for a sale, especially in light of a possible Father's Day sale.  If it happens, would it be through Amazon, Anova, or both?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm laughing at myself as I tell this story. You are welcome to laugh along, just don't hurt yourself.

My first experience with sous vide was many decades ago, an MRE pouch in a canteen cup of water and my pinky as a temp probe. If I only new then, what I know now...........

Around two years ago, the buzz just overcame me. I have to try this. I have a small side oven, corningware, Venison under pressure, and wait for it.........a redi check wireless thermometer (that I use in my smoker and absolutely love). First time, one of the best pieces of Venison I have ever had. For the next roughly ten times, same result, I was hooked. Then, the probe died on me. I credit that to the immersion, and vowed never to subject that wonderful piece of equipment to such peril. Replaced the probe, it performs flawless in the smoker, but I was without a bath. 

I agonized over just what to replace it with. After months of study, Dr Jekyl bought a dork food controller and Mr Hyde an Anova. Mr Hyde was right beyond my wildest dreams. The controller does exactly what it should, it just looks like a life support system after you add an aquarium pump and call on Dr Jekyll for some "creativity" on the electric deep fryer switch. 

Here's the Anova in long range attire.

i-5H56knV-L.jpg

I'm in love. 

Edited by Spork (log)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

....through Amazon, Anova or both?

Usually, if not always, directly from Anova.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Bottom right on their home page.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I think I can wait for a sale, especially in light of a possible Father's Day sale.  If it happens, would it be through Amazon, Anova, or both?

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

why not get yourself on the Anova email list ?

Good advice to get on the Anova list.  Do check Amazon as well.  I did the same as you, @Smithy, made the decision and then waited for a sale and ended up getting an Amazon lightning deal that was a few dollars cheaper than an Anova sale that was running at the same time. 

• Like 1

When I first started out, Polyscience had just come out with the Creative Series, which, at $400, was the cheapest circulator around. That seemed too expensive for a piece of equipment I was basically experimenting with, so I ended up with the DorkFood DSV -- kind of SV controller with a temperature probe that you can plug a rice cooker or crock pot into. After using it twice, I was convinced that I should have spent money on a real circulator. I was sold on the technique of SV, but wanted something that could maintain an even temperature throughout the bath and also handle larger cuts of meat. Fast forward a few months, and I picked up a factory refurbished Polyscience Chef Series. It has been my workhorse for several years... it looks and feels like it belongs in a commercial kitchen (I mean that in a good way). I purchased it before the Anova, Sansaire, Nomiku, and everything else hit the market, though a couple of those had already Kickstarted. While I'm sure those are all nice units, I'm glad that I've been using the Polyscience. I have never had an issue with it. Ever. It's nice to do long cooks worry free. I've heard so many stories about people's circulators turning off in the night or while they're at work... I just don't get it. The only thing that really bothers me about it, apart from how big it is (it's almost too big to use in a stock pot -- a Cambro is a must), is how loud it is. It's not super loud, but I can hear it whirring all throughout my (small) house, and that can be irksome if I'm doing short ribs for three days.

Since I've had this circulator, the market has become saturated with inexpensive circulators and SV is now accessible to the masses. That's awesome. But fundamentally, all of these circulators work in the same way, with the same coiled heater and the same basic style of pump. Even though some have integrated wi-fi, all the new designs have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary. But I sincerely think this is about to change when ChefSteps introduces Joule. Everything about it is different, and everything about it is better. It's smaller, lighter, faster, quieter, and more powerful than damn near every other circulator on the market. The hardware is as beautiful as it is innovative. Just look at it! (Photos from Chefsteps.com/joule)

chefsteps_joule.jpg

And look how huge it makes my Polyscience seem by comparison:

chefsteps_joule2.jpg

From the inside out, it's a game-changer. It used to freak me out that there were no physical controls on the unit apart from the on/off switch. But I -- very slowly -- came to realize that my iPhone can function as a much better display and controller than any other possible alternative. And I always have it on me anyway. Omitting the display means a sleeker design with fewer parts to break. Anyway, it's not out yet so I can't recommend it from personal experience. But I've preordered one, and have the feeling that my Polyscience Chef Series may end up on eBay after Joule arrives. When people ask me what circulator they should get, my reply is now "Pre-order Joule. It's not on the market yet. There are no real-world user reports yet. But trust me. That's what you want."

But when Anovas go on sale for $120, it's hard not to buy one. Or two... or three...

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 7

Thanks for all that information, @btbyrd - your history as well as the look at the Joule. Hmm.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The Joule works with both iOS and Android devices. There are a lot of features in the app that make it ideal for someone just starting out. Visual doneness is a really cool feature that lets you select a time/temperature combo by looking at videos of meat cooked at that time/temp. It's sort of an evolution of their Egg Calculator. And there will be integration with ChefSteps' SV cooking guides and recipes as well.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

Just now, rotuts said:

you do need a metal pan

No.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I'm wanting to buy another.....just waiting for a tempting price.  I've had a corned venison roast going for 2 days and have wanted to do other things during that time so that definitely calls for two.

Shelby, You Are An Enabler.

• Like 7

Anova WiFi price has currently dropped to ~$169 at Amazon and BestBuy.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon Link format (log)
  • Like 2

I would not be surprised if Anova runs the sale they had for Mothers Day (Bluetooth for $129.00) again for Fathers Day. It included free shipping.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I tried to get on the Anova email list, to hear about sales

I got some sort of MailChimp  3d party

any idea what that;s about and am I on the anova lat ?

thanbks

MailChimp is the email marketing management system that Anova uses.

Lots of companies use it.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it upthread, but one of the best and cheapest accessories is the S.V. Dash app. Rather than using generic recipes or tables, it lets you pick your own target temperature, and find a time based on the real dimensions of your food. 

Sadly the developer hasn't touched it in the last two years, so its future is uncertain. I'm hoping Anova or someone buys it.

I wrote a tutorial on how to best use the app here.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

I love Sous Vide Dash, and use it regularly.  It is especially useful for doing gradient cooking - using a bath temperature that is higher than your target core temperature.

The developer, an eGullet member Vengroff who doesn't seem to be active lately, did a kickstarter campaign a while back for an automated knob for a range hob that could be used for sous vide, simmering, beer brewing, etc., on the stove top, but the company was absorbed by a larger appliance manufacturer, and dropped the kickstarter.

• Like 1

Thanks btbyrd... I didn't realize the polyscience bought it.   I just checked it out - it's now $4.99 - half price for when I bought it for $10 on the iOS app store years ago...  but even at $10, it's still a bargain for how much I use it.