• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide for a newbie?

KitchenQueen

So, we had the SV wild Canadian goose legs last night for dinner.  I wouldn't have thought in 10 million years I'd have EVER eaten a wild goose leg for dinner and enjoyed it.  Ronnie and I couldn't stop raving about them.  They were like the most tender chicken leg you've ever had (and that is a HUGE compliment for a goose leg).  If only the hunters and hunting guides would start doing this.  The guides would be talked about for years if they made goose taste like this.  I just can't believe how good these things are.  

Dry brined in the "sweet" brine mentioned above over night.  Rinsed.  Vac packed with a good dollop of pork lard.  Into the bath at 179F for 11 hours.  I then took them out and threw them in the fridge.  A couple hours before dinner yesterday I put them back in at 179F to heat them up again.  So they went for a total of about 13 hours.

P1181106.JPG.f70dd9472153a1c602d169b4185

P1181109.JPG.6014e9faf2b4ac037c33f49be5d

I wish I could give everyone a bite.  So tender.  Yes. I'm a raving lunatic now.  I want to shout it from the mountain tops lol.

• Like 10

"""    I then took them out and threw them in the fridge. """

be a bit careful here.  it takes a long time to chill down in a refrigerator  

Ice bath, with lots of ice in the long run is better

these days, snow in a container outside w water in it works great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

"""    I then took them out and threw them in the fridge. """

be a bit careful here.  it takes a long time to chill down in a refrigerator  

Ice bath, with lots of ice in the long run is better

these days, snow in a container outside w water in it works great.

Thank you.  I have read about that.....I took a chance, I'm sure...but it was very late at night and I was tired.  

@ShelbyHow much fat was left in the bag after the cooking was finished?  Do you think it was more than the initial amount of pork fat added?  If so, the next time, you don't need to add any fat.  Does Canada goose fat taste any different from other geese?  I had a roast goose in Hong Kong that I still dream about... If there is fat in the bag, you can drain it (along with all the drippings) into a mason jar, then cap it, and turn it upside down and put in the refrigerator.  Once solid, you can remove the jelly (that's now on top) and either discard it (it may be too salty) or use it to enrich a sauce.  But the fat is reusable...  Also, when reheating, you don't need to reheat to the original temperature - I find it best to reheat to 135F or so, so you don't cook any longer than you had originally planned.

• Like 2

I'd say there was a bit more fat than what I started with.  However, wild geese have significantly less fat.  I couldn't really say if they taste different because I don't think I've had non-wild goose before......

Thanks for the tip on reheating.  I didn't worry about it in this instance because for these legs I think you could SV them for days and they would still be good.  

• Like 1

I found some venison steaks from 2013 in the freezer--yes they were buried.  Anyway, I decided to thaw and SV them.  I know now why they were buried....they were cut kind of thin in order to make chicken fried venison.  I decided to forge ahead and use them.  Again, we raved about the SV way of cooking.  Since they were so thin and I knew that I would be searing them after the water batch, I used a temp. of 120F (we like them rare) and did them for about an hour and half.  Good stuff.

PS.  The cut was the end of the backstrap.

P1201113.JPG.92414d4aa86a29aa30d8fe76747

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I found some venison steaks from 2013 in the freezer--yes they were buried.  Anyway, I decided to thaw and SV them.  I know now why they were buried....they were cut kind of thin in order to make chicken fried venison.  I decided to forge ahead and use them.  Again, we raved about the SV way of cooking.  Since they were so thin and I knew that I would be searing them after the water batch, I used a temp. of 120F (we like them rare) and did them for about an hour and half.  Good stuff.

PS.  The cut was the end of the backstrap.

I have had great success in the realm of chicken-fried steak by SV'ing beef round steak or sirloin tip, at about 125 for 4-5 hours, and then carrying on with breading and frying as usual. Really great way to prepare it -- fork tender, but still nice and juicy.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

""   

I have had great success in the realm of chicken-fried steak by SV'ing beef round steak or sirloin tip, at about 125 for 4-5 hours, and then carrying on with breading and frying as usual. Really great way to prepare it -- fork tender, but still nice and juicy.

"""

interesting ideas.  do you trim the steam into serving thickness pre-SV ?

49 minutes ago, rotuts said:

""   

"""

interesting ideas.  do you trim the steam into serving thickness pre-SV ?

•  

Yes. If I'm going to pound it thinner, I do that, as well. I tend to leave it thicker if I'm going to SV it and then chicken-fry, since the pounding/thinness is mostly a tenderness thing anyway.

I haven't tried chicken cutlets, nor pork, but I'll bet both would be excellent that way as well. H'mmm. I may be seeing pork katsu in my future soon.....

Don't ask. Eat it.

kayb

nice

very nice

consider Turkey, the generic  Fz  whole breasts   

os course, On Sale Only !!

they just have a bit more flavor   

but I see possibilities for the 7 Fz TurkBr's  in my freezer

if you SV  

after your remove the Dos tendons / side   ( that means you have the ' tender ' )

consider any stuffing   (  after a bit of pounding  ) 

then a tie up to keep it Just So in the bag.

delicious these are

if you add cheese, melting to not, the Cheese Stays In the Bag !!!

@rotuts, I used to quite often take chicken tenderloins, pound them flat, blot them dry, spread with a mixture of cream cheese and pesto, roll up and bake, before I got my SV. You can chill those, slice them, and layer them with fresh tomato and mozzarella and drizzle with a good olive oil and balsamic for a quite lovely little luncheon entree. It would be even easier with SV. Must put that on my list for next summer when it's caprese season.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

the nice thing about SV  'stuffed' items  esp if you have a good vac sealer, but good enough Id guess with a Zip if you get rid of the air :

the stuffing stays put in the 'roll-up'

I tie the rolls first so that they keep their shape while inserted into the bags :

56a2370166d9b_CkBrpre.thumb.jpg.581ae7fb

pre-bag

56a235e5bb1f2_CkBrBagged.thumb.jpg.6bf6d

various CkBr pounded and stuffed   .  I use a wine bottle w the CkBr between plastic

CkBaconSV.thumb.jpg.1d9abc848ebd29a96e3b

Cooked.    not so delicious looking  but ......

Sur le Plate :

56a23623371d5_SVCkBr.thumb.jpg.31f7a214d

torched.   wonderful I must say

very nice w pounded sirloin 'tips', which I buy on sale and they the slap whole for me.

think  Braciole

https://www.google.com/search?q=braciole&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I mass produce both, cook / freeze   and then re-therm.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

For something thin, like to be chicken fried, I think I'd precook, then chill.  Then bread and fry - during the fry, the interior will come up to temp and not overcook.

Yes. Exactly. And if I know I'm fixing that for a big crowd, I can even pre-bread, and chill or freeze on a baking sheet. If I freeze it, I can then re-bag it and keep it indefinitely, and just take them out and toss them in a hot skillet.

Don't ask. Eat it.

8 hours ago, KennethT said:

For something thin, like to be chicken fried, I think I'd precook, then chill.  Then bread and fry - during the fry, the interior will come up to temp and not overcook.

I don't do the chill in my Search for the Perfect Parma. A sear in really hot rice bran oil seems to crisp the breading just fine without cooking the chicken further. Since I do the chicken at a 58 C, There is quite a bit of room for the surface to firm up a bit anyway.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Boy, beef short rib times/temps are all over the place O.o

I'm on part 7 of the massive SV topic and have noted the following that people have used:

150F-36 hrs

131F-24 hrs

135F-48 hrs

141F-72 hrs

I started some last night.  I have them at 131F.  Trying to decide whether to eat them tonight.....or let them go until tomorrow night.....or let them go until Monday night......

Help?

Chef Steps has a nice overview of different cook times and temps:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

Watch the short video and then scroll down for the details

I haven't tried this myself, though I keep meaning to. Got distracted with the Instant Pot and did some short ribs in it. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

Well, I held off for 48 hour beef ribs....they were probably more like 52 hour by the time we ate (after watching my AWESOME Broncos make it to the SUPERBOWL!!!!!)

Another hit.  SO good.   For what it's worth,  I was trying for 131F but my circulator kept flipping back and forth to 130F so I went up to 132F. I do want to try the 72 hour ones, too, but I don't know if I can keep my hands off the 48 hour ones lol.

I had Ronnie throw them on the electric smoker for about an hour and then I seasoned them with a rub that Santa brought it (typical beef rub).  I keep reading where people don't like to season their meat before SV'ing, but I haven't hit that point yet.  Here they are just out of the smoker (nice smokey smell)

P1221113.JPG.a441605cd83e72dab63a5ecb1e7

Seasoned and bagged

P1221114.JPG.1b60ac0f354f1705dd285327931

Done

P1241115.JPG.5a11f95ace93ad470e39e9ff18c

• Like 1

you salted before SV ?  if so did you get any 'corned' flavors ?

were these 'fall off the bone' ?   that would be a reason to go to 72 H

I really like 130.1 for tough cuts  " to tenderness desired "

I tihnk there is much more flavor than braise, which is really as much about the sauce as the meats.

I think the SV market might enjoy a programable SV-er, as Im pretty lazy 'at times' that would do a

step-wise  SV a la PedroG  where each component in " meats " got denatured so that the " Whole Hunk " did not contract, what ever final temp

suited you.

one of my many projects that will remain a " thought exercise "

PS Shelby :

have you done IP'd ribs yet ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

So...I know Shelby has moved on to the 'regular' sous vide topics.  What about other 'newbies' who posted earlier, or who have been lurking along?  Has anyone bought a circulator and wished they'd gotten a different brand - say, bought a Gourmia and wished they'd held out for an Anova? Has anyone bought a circulator, played with it and then set it aside and wished they hadn't spent the money?

I have an Anova loaded in my Amazon cart, and haven't decided yet whether to pull the trigger, wait for a sale, or stick to my current bunch of toys.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have three units, two Sous Vide Magics and an Anova One.

No regrets.

Will probably buy another one within the next year — either an Anova Wi-Fi or a Chefsteps Joule.

I'm guessing there will be some Anova sales coming up — maybe as soon as pre-Father's Day.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!