• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen (Part 2)

Anna N

It's Hawfest this weekend in Little Current.  I know I've mentioned it before - all Haweaters (folks born on the island) are expected to come home and spend time with their family.  A fair amount of alcohol is consumed this weekend on the island.  Police are imported from many other communities - so there are cops on bikes, cops on four wheelers, cops in cars and even the odd one on foot.  They seem to be having fun on the four wheelers. 

We get it in March. A different event of course... but the rest of it is all too familiar.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

We left the townhouse at 7:15 am and after a long drive including a trip on the Chi-Cheemaun I am home at last 9 hours later. Kerry still has about 30 mins more to go! Need coffee, a brief visit with family and foster kitties then will answer any last questions.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My deepest thank you to you, Anna, and to Kerry for this thread. I thoroughly enjoy following your time on the island. Is is many things: comfortable, informative, inspiring, a happy place to be reading.

edited a typo.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Thanks for taking us along once again. I hate to see it end but I'm sure you're both happy to get home. I know I always am.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

We left the townhouse at 7:15 am and after a long drive including a trip on the Chi-Cheemaun I am home at last 9 hours later. Kerry still has about 30 mins more to go! Need coffee, a brief visit with family and foster kitties then will answer any last questions.

Please tell us what are your drinks tonight!

(And what is a Chi-Cheemaun?)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Please tell us what are your drinks tonight!

(And what is a Chi-Cheemaun?)

As Porthos explains - the Chi-Cheemaun is the ferry that plies it's way between Tobermory (at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula) and South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island.  

Cocktail tonight is Sherry Duval from Cocktail Virgin Slut - 

IMG_1506.jpg

Sweet and syrupy - hubby and I are quite enjoying it.

And I'm on my second pot of tea.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4

IMG_1491.jpg

Waiting to get on the ferry - it loads from the stern in South Baymouth and unloads and reloads from the bow in Tobermory.

Decided to have breakfast on the ferry rather than risk the time crunch on land.  

IMG_1492.jpg

Eggs are either scrambled or scrambled - Anna wanted sunny - got scrambled.

IMG_1493.jpg

Now if she'd ordered a sandwich like I did - hold the cheese, hold the english muffin - she could have had over easy.

IMG_1494.jpg

Yogurt for Kira along with some french toast I had cooked up for her this morning and tucked away in a bag.  

IMG_1504.jpg

Bad day for seagulls today - we saw at least 4 as roadkill.  Enjoyed checking out the gryphon at the entrance to the University of Guelph.  Couldn't help thinking of gfron1 when I saw it.

• Like 5

attachicon.gifIMG_1491.jpg

Waiting to get on the ferry - it loads from the stern in South Baymouth and unloads and reloads from the bow in Tobermory..  

Bad day for seagulls today - we saw at least 4 as roadkill.  Enjoyed checking out the gryphon at the entrance to the University of Guelph.  Couldn't help thinking of gfron1 when I saw it.

Reminds me of the Orient - New London Ferry my mom cooked on during her summers off from teaching.  It was an LST leftover from WWII and is related to the ones that ply Cape May NJ to Lewes MD

I'm really surprised that the gulls are roadkill.  Perhaps they weren't moving well because of something else????

October I almost here - the only reason I'm not bummed

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Is leaving the combi behind a sign that you don't find it useful?

Not at all. We both think it is indispensable...........IN THE TOWNHOUSE. Neither one of us has room for it at home.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I think the Chi-Cheemaun is the ferry from the island to the mainland.

Yep. It's the ferry that travels between South Baymouth on the Island and Tobemory at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula on the mainland. Takes just under two hours for the one-way trip. Cuts a fair bit off the driving time but not off the overall time.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late to the party, but I just wanted to thank you guys for letting us join in on another adventure and putting in so much effort!

Also, funny to see Verstegen...

Discovered my local Dutch store has all sorts of Verstegen spices.  Have a nice little bottle of the potato spice for myself now.  Thinking of doing something with it for the next eggfest.

Discovered my local Dutch store has all sorts of Verstegen spices.  Have a nice little bottle of the potato spice for myself now.  Thinking of doing something with it for the next eggfest.

After seeing the picture of the spice, I went up to our local Dutch store and bought a bottle as well. Have used it so far on small roasted potatoes. It is dry tasty stuff. Thanks to you and Anna for posting about this; I would never have known about it otherwise.