• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen (Part 2)

Anna N

Realize I hadn't yet shown you the shelf that we are using for the liquor this year.  Picked up the wire shelving at the Flee Market - found some boxes there yesterday that help hold the bottles securely on the wire.

IMG_1471.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

My lunch. A hollowed out bahn mi roll filled with re-heated chicken and gravy.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow - that is an off-label, non-prescription use...and a brilliant one at that.

May I ask for how long and at what temp?

The Cuisi manual doesn't talk about sterilizing, but a couple of the Miele Combi-Steam manuals do - they recommend 15 min at 100C / 210F for general sterilizing. The AU manual also has some guidelines for jam-making and bottling (canning), but I feel obligated to mention that the USDA does not recommend steam canning, even in a dedicated steam-canner. 

I will try and find the original links for some of these other manuals (I've just downloaded the pdf files) and post them on the Cuisi thread. And post #106 on that thread by Barrytm also had a few links. 

Would you make the recipe for the rolls again?

Frankly NO! Perhaps it was operator error. I don't know. I would love to hear others take on this but to me they were not light and fluffy by a long shot.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Sooooooooooo.

how were the reviews on the 

Brand New 

NNNNB

" bread "

?

Waiting with bated/baited breath.

My 2004 eG Blog

Waiting with bated/baited breath.

Kerry is home but has no reports to bring back. Perhaps tomorrow.

My 2004 eG Blog

The banana bread was rather odd as is to be expected when you omit the sugar. However, it is on its way to the clinic renamed Nana Nielsen's Nummy Nana Bread! I split it in half longways, drizzled it with warmed Manitoulin honey, reassembled it, sliced it and we'll await the verdict.

Edited to add that the pastry for the quiche crust is chilling in the fridge.

Ooooh, So sorry about your bread and your day.... Put your feet up and have a cocktail ( or 3) and relax.

I'm so pleased that you gave it a try, and hope once you are back in your own home you will again. It really is delicious.

And Toliver's idea for a bread pudding is on point. We have done the very thing before. ( This morning I took leftover date nut bread... a not very sweet one and sliced it thick, buttered both sides and pan fried/toasted it in a skillet til dark and crusty brown and served with homemade strawberry pineapple jam). Most things can be repurposed someway and may be even better than the original. And you are such a creative adventurous cook.

LOVING this blog. Thank you so much!

Edited by caroled (log)
  • Like 3

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Ooooh, So sorry about your bread and your day.... Put your feet up and have a cocktail ( or 3) and relax.I'm so pleased that you gave it a try, and hope once you are back in your own home you will again. It really is delicious.And Toliver's idea for a bread pudding is on point. We have done the very thing before. ( This morning I took leftover date nut bread... a not very sweet one and sliced it thick, buttered both sides and pan fried/toasted it in a skillet til dark and crusty brown and served with homemade strawberry pineapple jam). Most things can be repurposed someway and may be even better than the original. And you are such a creative adventurous cook.LOVING this blog. Thank you so much!

I apologize for messing up. I will certainly try again at home. The second loaf is wrapped and drinking in Manitoulin honey so I will find a home for it tomorrow and see how it fares.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

The mushroom quiche made a fine dinner for Kira.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

So in the spirit of the test kitchen - tonight it was gummies (not bears however - with the molds I bought inexpensively they look more like gummie bums).  

A few mistakes were made - leaf gelatine - you should separate each leaf before soaking - really hard to pull 4 leaves apart when wet and stuck firmly together.

Forgot to add the tartaric solution at the end - so the flavour doesn't pop as well as it might.  However they are made of black current which does declare itself.

IMG_1478.jpg

Tomorrow I shall unmold and perhaps coat with some sour sugar.  

• Like 4

So I am sitting here quite pleased with myself. The banana bread is in the oven when I suddenly realize the sugar is still on the counter. DAMN.

Been there, done that.  With a pumpkin pie.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The banana bread was rather odd as is to be expected when you omit the sugar. However, it is on its way to the clinic renamed Nana Nielsen's Nummy Nana Bread! I split it in half longways, drizzled it with warmed Manitoulin honey, reassembled it, sliced it and we'll await the verdict.

Edited to add that the pastry for the quiche crust is chilling in the fridge.

I was going to suggest biscotti, with sugar on top for the second baking, but this sounds more interesting. 

• Like 1

DSCN3200.jpg

It's looking a bit brighter now but this is what we woke to.

DSCN3202.jpg

Little baby stroopwaffle dipped in milk chocolate.

DSCN3203.jpg

Crunchy dried apple chip and crushed werther candy bark.

DSCN3204.jpg

Milk and dark chocolate with maple sugar flakes.

DSCN3205.jpg

Candied ginger in dark.

DSCN3209.jpg

Gummie bums.  

• Like 3

Breakfast this morning was a slice of quiche:

image.jpg

I was hoping for some better kitchen karma today but if my bread dough is any indication I may be out of luck again! I have made these baguettes dozens of times but whether I mis-measured or mis-transcribed...... The dough is very, very slack even after adding far more flour then it should have needed. Oh well here's hoping. We are having company for lunch and I was hoping for some nice bread to accompany the soup and salad.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry is home but has no reports to bring back. Perhaps tomorrow.

Kerry reported that the staff enjoyed yesterday's offering. Sent the second loaf today.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The baguettes were not awful but neither were they as good as usual. Perhaps I should have had my second coffee before I attempted breadmaking. I also neglected to take proper photographs at lunch. These are all I managed:

image.jpg

The salad offerings still in plastic.

And a bowl of Tom Kha Goong with a non-traditional side of buttered baguette.

image.jpg

For purists -- no I did not have galingal (someone tossed it from the freezer) so i subbed ginger. We did have fresh lemongrass and freshly frozen wild lime leaves.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog