• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I shall never again bring home two more cookbooks from work and perch them precariously on the living room table, augmenting the stack of eleven other heavy library cookbooks which I may or may not be reading.  About ninety minutes later as I stepped out of the shower the whole shebang fell over, taking out half a liter of Chinese black vinegar.  Amazingly the bottle didn't break.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again momentarily remove a container of perfectly square, perfectly clear ice from the freezer only to find the container on the counter in the morning.  Actually it was on top of the Ninja CREAMi.  But in my kitchen that counts as counter space.  And it was the afternoon.  On a hot day.

The water was still perfectly clear, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 weeks later...

I shall never again drop peach pie on the kitchen floor twice.

• Sad 8

I shall never again shake my bottle of kefir culture without "burping" the lid first. It was bulging. It stopped bulging when I shook it.

(No photos, sorry. Imagine leopard-spotted kitchen cabinets, counters and accessories if the leopard's spots had been white.)

The kitchen is now cleaner than it had been for some weeks. Still...this is not my preferred method of triggering housework.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Smithy said:

(No photos, sorry. Imagine leopard-spotted kitchen cabinets, counters and accessories if the leopard's spots had been white.)

So sorry, I can only imagine. It sounds like my kitchen after my pressure cooker blew up. It's been 6 years that I still find an occasional leopard spot.

Edit note:

I just checked my profile page and it was in October 2017 that it happened. One month after, I bought an instant pot and joined EG to find out how to use it.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

43 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

So sorry, I can only imagine. It sounds like my kitchen after my pressure cooker blew up. It's been 6 years that I still find an occasional leopard spot.

Edit note:

I just checked my profile page and it was in October 2017 that it happened. One month before I bought an instant pot and joined EG to find out how to use it.

I'd laugh but your situation sounds too catastrophic. Thanks for sharing the story.

Except...with enough time, sometimes it becomes funny.

One laughable story in the "I will never again" category is from when my parents bought their first microwave oven. Mom and I were both gone. Dad served as host to a couple of friends who used our house as a base camp for a backpacking trip. Dad found 2 eggs, and cooked them in the new microwave. "BOOM!" went one, to their mystification until they figured it out. Dad was all embarrassment and apology, but gamely served the accidentally-scrambled egg to one friend and the intact egg to the other friend. As soon as that friend dug into his egg, "BOOM!" it went -- all over the kitchen.

I got home that evening and Dad was still laughing about it. As he told the story, he pointed over his shoulder...and found yet more egg yolk on the refrigerator behind him. The following week, when I was back at school with my buddies, they were still collapsing with hilarity over the story. I think it might have been the highlight of their backpacking weekend!

• Haha 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yesterday the inside of my microwave got a yellow paint job when my butter "exploded" as it was melting.  Sad thing is, I know better.

• Sad 5

I shall never again allow my pressure cooker of Rancho Gordo pinto beans to boil dry.

In the last couple days I've had additional never again moments.  I use nitrile gloves in the kitchen, but previously I've kept them in the living room.  Doesn't everyone?  One of the products I was reviewing for Amazon was a lovely clear acrylic glove box holder.  Another product was double sided adhesive sheets.  I used the adhesive sheets to affix the glove box holder to my refrigerator door.  The refrigerator in the kitchen.  The wretched adhesive did not hold and the glove box holder crashed to the kitchen floor and smashed.

Meanwhile everything in my other refrigerator was sticky.  I'd wash the stuff and put it in clean bags.  Only to become sticky again.  Eventually it dawned on me that my iSi of homemade apple soda had been leaking.  Worse the soda was flat.  It was a pain but I scrubbed out the refrigerator.  But the experience convinced me that I should use a silicone mat under the refrigerator to protect the hardwood floor.

To get to the extension cord outlet for the refrigerator I had to move boxes and pull my bureau out from the bedroom wall.  The stress was too much for the corroded antique hanging hardware supporting the large mirror above the bureau.  The mirror crashed to the bedroom floor.  Remarkably, and thankfully, the mirror did not crack.

Now I need to put a silicone mat under the blast freezer in the living room.

• Sad 10

Jo, truly, I love you. Thank you for your adventures. They're so impossible that they're almost funny. I'm sorry for your troubles, and I will continue to read every darn thing you write.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1