• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Menu 2012: The Topic

Chris Amirault

I like roast veg but use big chunks of potatoes, red onion, carrot, zucchini, olive oil (and a little garlic) all in the same pan.

Mom always used Stovetop cornbread stuffing and doctored it up a little. I think it's better than most made from scatch and no-one would ever suspect it came out of a box.

Our standard was to use the Stovetop about half and half with small chunks of nuked potatoes. The packaged product is salty enough that the potatoes do not need more than a light sprinkle of salt. This was our anti-traditional way of having potatoes as nobody really cares for mashed (I know that seems odd but 'tis true)

If I make a pomegranate jelly with whole cranberries, how should I prep the cranberries? I'm thinking of making a basic fruit jelly with the pomegranate juice then adding in some whole cranberries. Basically whole cranberries suspended in pomegranate jelly. But raw cranberries don't sound too appetizing in a jelly. Should I poach them in a sugar-syrup mixture first to soften them? I know cranberries don't hold up long under heat and they start to burst fairly quickly. So do I put them in the jelly raw or lightly poach them to soften? Maybe less than 5 min.? Thoughts appreciated.

sounds delicious. also here no cream cheese filled celery sticks. wasn't good then, still not good now.

What?! Heresy! Actually, I don't have them for Thanksgiving because cheese is just a fat bridge too far for me on Thanksgiving, but cream cheese celery sticks are a special snack any time of the year. Also, peanut butter filled celery...sometimes topped with raisin "ants". :raz:

Very traditional menu here:

Salted almonds and sherry for before

Baby lettuce greens with orange segments and pomegranate seeds

Roast Turkey

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Roasted sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter (maybe I should go with maple syrup since we're in Canada...)

Homemade stuffing, the 1950 Betty Crocker recipe my mom always made, with the addition of toasted pecans and raisins

Buttered baby peas

Cranberry relish that's almost like a chutney, with apple, orange, honey and cardamom

Pumpkin pie and whipped cream

Port (an excellent one we found at Niagara-on-the-Lake)

Coffee

The stuffing is non-negotiable and the best ever. Also very easy as I sweat the onions and celery in the butter the night before and tear the bread to pieces the night before too so it's nice and dry, then just combine in the morning and bake alongside the turkey, basted with the drippings.

Trying a new pumpkin pie recipe this year, with sweetened condensed milk -- I'll see if I like it better than "regular". If my MIL were with us, we'd be having cranberry/walnut jello but unfortunately we're apart this year and I'm just not up for making it.

I'd ordinarily make brussel sprouts in browned butter but this year it's just the peas as I won't have my usual helpers.

Well, today I've done my deviled eggs, pumpkin tiramisu and cranberry apple compote (Ina Garten's recipe).

I'm nervous about the tiramisu. I thought I had an ingredient, and I didn't. I live too far out to run to a store, so I compromised. I hope it works.

Well, today I've done my deviled eggs, pumpkin tiramisu and cranberry apple compote (Ina Garten's recipe).

I'm nervous about the tiramisu. I thought I had an ingredient, and I didn't. I live too far out to run to a store, so I compromised. I hope it works.

What did you sub for what? Enquiring minds want to know.

The recipe called to dip the ladyfingers in equal parts of maple syrup and bourbon mixed together. I thought I had bourbon...nope. The closest thing I had was brandy.

The recipe called to dip the ladyfingers in equal parts of maple syrup and bourbon mixed together. I thought I had bourbon...nope. The closest thing I had was brandy.

I'm thinking it will be just fine then!

probably better. bourbon tastes to me like they put bubble gum in the vat. you know, that double bubble stuff from years ago.

next time try dark rum. Yum!

Thank you both for boosting my confidence! I spent a long time lining up those dang lady fingers so this better taste ok lol.

Dark rum does sound good!

Thanksgiving 2012!

Stewed kale with bacon/onions/garlic/red pepper/white wine

2012-11-22_13-38-11_848.jpg

Red Cabbage with onion/applejuice/allspice

2012-11-22_15-23-33_470.jpg

Potatoes augratin (Bourdain recipe)

2012-11-22_16-26-01_688.jpg

Table showing the SV turkey, browned by a quick pan fry of the skin side

2012-11-22_17-10-30_838.jpg

Not shown: corn bread with jalapeno, gravy, smoked mashed yams with pimenton, cranberry/onion compote, apple pie, pumpkin pie, sage sausage stuffing

We had Thanksgiving with friends who were already cooking, so we just brought a few things:

Sweet Potato Soup (definitely will be doing this again - with Maple, nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic & leek):

IMG_2836.jpeg

Turkey Breast with Maple and Chili (Sriracha):

IMG_2852.jpeg

I made a compound butter with pure maple syrup, sriracha and butter, then put it between the skin & meat. This was the best tasting turkey to EVER pass my lips - positively amazing... (I do humbly insist)

Turkey Breast with Portobella & Pancetta Compound Butter - also amazing:

IMG_2853.jpeg

I hope you all had a wonderful day!

ETA: A note on the blackened skin - I baked the breasts at a little below 350 until internal temp hit 155 - coasted to 165-ish. After removing, dealing with other things, I basted them in the drippings and put them under a 500f broiler for about 3 minutes. The skin ended up really crispy and wonderful.

Edited by pastameshugana (log)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Our Thanksgiving dinner was the same as the past 30 years, give or take a few items depending on the year.

Fruit punch with gin, as we have an abundance of oranges, satsumas, grapefruit etc

Fried turkey that was injected with herb butter.

Baked ham

Rice dressing.

Oyster cornbread dressing,with oysters straight off the boat

Mac and cheese.

Fresh steamed brussel sprouts with cheese sauce.

Fresh sweet potatoe casserole with pecan crunch on top.

radtek's pineapple dressing, made with crossiants and added cardamom.I really liked this and would like to try it with Indian spices to give it a true chutney taste.

Vegetable tray and cranberry sauce.

Pecan,pumpkin, and sweet potato pies.

And the best part is the leftovers.

Thanksgiving 2012!

Stewed kale with bacon/onions/garlic/red pepper/white wine

2012-11-22_13-38-11_848.jpg

Red Cabbage with onion/applejuice/allspice

2012-11-22_15-23-33_470.jpg

Potatoes augratin (Bourdain recipe)

2012-11-22_16-26-01_688.jpg

Table showing the SV turkey, browned by a quick pan fry of the skin side

2012-11-22_17-10-30_838.jpg

Not shown: corn bread with jalapeno, gravy, smoked mashed yams with pimenton, cranberry/onion compote, apple pie, pumpkin pie, sage sausage stuffing

My mashed potatoes tasted like.....nothing. Au Gratin sounds like a better way to go. Everything on your table looks delicious.

My DH and I had a good Thanksgiving. Snacks around one o'clock were celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese and sprinkled with seasoned salt, a bowl of ripe black olives and these deviled eggs.

Deviled%2520Eggs-01.jpg

For dinner we had roasted turkey thighs, herbed bread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, buttered carrots, and homemade dinner rolls.

Thanksgiving%2520Dinner%25202012.jpg

After dinner we shared some wine and relaxed in the hot tub!

My dinner wasn't up to my standards, but I'll be reporting on the highs and lows, along with photos. However, today I'm back in the kitchen, crafting gravy in a more traditional manner. I got lucky this morning--the supermarket had scads and scads of fresh turkey necks and wings on sale.

My dinner wasn't up to my standards, but I'll be reporting on the highs and lows, along with photos. However, today I'm back in the kitchen, crafting gravy in a more traditional manner. I got lucky this morning--the supermarket had scads and scads of fresh turkey necks and wings on sale.

It was probably due to a combination of cocktails and medicine I'm taking for a torn ligament in my knee. Combined with standing in a tiny kitchen, probably not the best environment to craft a Thanksgiving feast.

Sounds like you needed a couple more cocktails!

I've been thinking lately of the messy way TG plates of food tend to look after about a minute of eating. I shifted from mashed pots to au gratin(tastes great too) to partially avoid this. I served the breast in filets rather than slices (to make space on the plate) and I would've ditched the smoked mashed yams too, but my daughter rejected the change. LOL. Also thinking that a savory bread pudding would be a neater change to stuffing that tends to migrate all over the place.

My first thoughts last night and this morning were that the dinner wasn't all that great, but after reviewing the photos and going through the menu, it was really fairly good. I suppose we always have a few clunkers in the bunch.....all the more reason to get back in the kitchen tonight.

Started with the planned cocktail of Maker's Mark bourbon, apple cider and ginger ale. Sometimes I vary from Maker's Mark, but I always go back. I like the smoothness and sweetness and it doesn't seem overly strong.

003.JPG

Next was a crock of pork rillettes I put up last week. I followed an old recipe from Chef Andre Soltner which calls for stewing the pork in its own jus and fat. In all honesty, it's too bland for my tastes so next time I'll use my confit recipe and then shred the meat and pack it with the confit fat. Not bad, but not stunning. Served with delicious little nuggets of prunes soaked in calvados, (apple brandy). We should eat more prunes soaked in booze.

011.JPG

015.JPG

Now on to dear Clementine Paddleford's Oyster Stew. If you aren't familiar with Ms. Paddleford, she's one of the icons of American culinary journalism ranking up there with MFK Fisher, Marion Cunningham, James Beard and Julia Child. This stew isn't for the faint of heart. It's very "oystery" but purists would love it's sea flavor. The red color comes from paprika and cayenne. It's a runny stew, not thick like chowder or bisque, but you're just tasting oyster liquor in milk and cream. Rather than the planned fried oyster, (which I thought was too fussy), I kept things original and added some oyster crackers and chopped curly parsley.

034.JPG

A Total Wine store opened in Spokane two weeks ago and I am in heaven. I never used to by nice German Rieslings like this one. It was a tad too sweet, but the efferevescence and clean, citrus notes of the wine worked well against the strong oyster flavors. Think of it as a nice riesling with Thai seafood dishes.

028.JPG

Now onto the main. I was too tired and hobbling around on my bum knee to bother with the plan of smoking the turkey. The turkey was a free-range, organic bird that trotted around a farm in Northwest, Washington. I salted the bird and left it uncovered overnight in the fridge. The theory is this dries out the skin so it crisps during roasting. I'm not sure it's anything more than a gimmick. Then stuffed the turkey with lemon, garlic and onion. I made an herb butter with tarragon, thyme, rosemary and sage and rubbed that under the skin of the turkey. Then into the oven at 450 for 45 min., which gave the color and crisp skin, then down to 350 to finish for about an hour. My problem here was that I got my timing off and after the first, hot roast at 450, I was still 3 hours away from dinner. I took Mr. Turkey out of the oven then back in one hour before service. Probably not recommended for food safety issues, but I was alone for dinner and I know my cast iron stomach.

043.JPG

The dressing was made with sausage, dried cranberries, scads of butter, stock, dried and fresh poultry seasoning, celery, onion and garlic. Two eggs bind the mix together. I used Franz bakery bread cubes that I think they've made for about 60 years or so. Very good.

The mashed potatoes were so-so. Next time I'll go back to the precise methods of Robuchons potato puree. The gravy bland and watery. The beans and pearl onions were left in a gloppy bechamel that separated and the fried onion topping couldn't save this mess. I didn't pay attention to the consistency of the sauce and the lengthy time I left the dish in the oven. It separated about 45 minutes before service.

048.JPG

The slow-cooked greens with smoked ham hock were good, but I could have gone with one less side dish. Maybe keep the greens next time and dump the green beans and creamed onion muck.

The star of the sides was an unplanned cranberry relish. I chucked the idea of a jelly with either pomegranates and cranberry. But I remembered an orange-cranberry relish. I couldn't find my recipe so I pushed together; fresh cranberries, sugar, juice of 3 Satsumas, lemon zest, orange zest, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, a good dram of Cointreau (orange liquer), and about a teaspoon of powdered pectin as a thickener. It was tangy, sweet, fragrant and delicious with the rich, buttery, turkey.

053.JPG

And this deliciously earthy yet smooth, herbal, Rex Hill 2010 Oregon Pinot Noir. Simply one of the better Oregon Pinot's of recent years and far better with turkey than the Chardonnay I started with.

076.JPG

I didn't get to the retro cookies I planned, but I'll tend to them tommorrow. The pecan pie was taken from a recipe from the Tartine Bakery of San Francisco. It calls for a sticky base with bourbon, (another wonderful use of Maker's Mark) and maple syrup. The recipe calls for candied kumquats. I couldn't find kumquats in the market, so I mistakenly put in some Satsuma segments. Sort of like putting in canned mandarin oranges. The concept was correct-put a note of orange citrus in the mix to cut through the rich filling. Juice would have worked, but whole segments didn't. You bit into this withered orange segment that wasn't thoroughly incorporated into the pecan mixture.

057.JPG

I didn't get to the ice wine, but I'll have that tonight with a new, redone version of the pecan pie.

David, I'll take your bad meals any day. Looks great.

Agreed on the Maker's Mark. Smooth and reliable. Van Winkle is darn nice too. Even the less aged bottles than the wonderful (but expensive) Pappy Van Winkle.

David, I'll take your bad meals any day. Looks great.

Agreed on the Maker's Mark. Smooth and reliable. Van Winkle is darn nice too. Even the less aged bottles than the wonderful (but expensive) Pappy Van Winkle.

Thanks. I'll have to try the Pappy for Christmas.