• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Menu 2012: The Topic

Chris Amirault

I was looking for some Van Winkle tonight... :hmmm:

The Meal was excellent. And I didn't have to cook this year. All that was required was that I enjoy myself...

And David those greens look badass. I made some collards fresh from my cousin's garden when I got home. Went really well with the leftovers.

Very nice! I'm assuming you can get bags big enough to fit a turkey in? Or perhaps getting a roasting bag, sucking as much air out as possible and tying it off?

Great job. You've manage to make me hungry for turkey again...

Thanks everyone.

The turkey was solidly frozen. I indeed used a roasting bag in the bath. They are plenty big for a turkey. I seldom vaccum the bags when I sous vide. I typically weigh the bags deep and let the water pressure to remove air from the bags. This way it makes it east to check internal temperature and sometimes reuse bags.

I set the water at 150F, I think it took 10 hours. The dark meat came out very good at 150F. I thought I needed to cook it further at 170F.

To roast, I had the turkey in the refrigerator for a while, then into the 500F preheat oven to brown the skin.

BTW, when turkeys were on a big sale last year, I got a couple extra ones and I sous vided them right in the plastic bag they came in. Since those were for meat only, the skin were throw out in case the plastic was not completely food safe at 150F.

dcarch