• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

On 11/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Moroccan harira soup. 

D576263F-5371-49DB-8678-A4AA4EFF2B6B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e27cb939324785ba2b2c54222fc5cdbb.jpeg

A vegetarian version from a recipe in Zingerman's Bakehouse Celebrate Every Day with Za'atar flatbreads from the same book. The soup recipe is available online at this link.

Had a bowl for lunch yesterday and another for breakfast this morning!

One of my very favorite soups and a recipe which caught my attention in a magazine many years ago because it called for lentils, chickpeas and brown rice.  Mine has no carrots.  And I always put a lot of meat in mine  because that's how Ed likes it.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Trying to use up turkey is a chore. This year we ended up with a lot of leftover turkey, partly because a few people opted out due to sickness, and also partly because my husband carefully wrapped up a generous mix of white and dark meat for a guest to take home and then forgot to give it to him. Today's project is stock, having a good size carcass and bones etc.

But yesterday I actually had a quart-plus of turkey broth ahead of the game because I always roast a couple of wings and necks the week before Thanksgiving as our gravy demands it. So I made the NYT recipe for a soup with turkey, farro and chickpeas, with minor tweaks. It was very good and I highly recommend it, with a major caveat: use dark meat only. I have never yet found a good use for leftover breast meat, although through force of habit I eat one turkey sandwich on the Friday after. I shredded the leftover dark meat odds and ends and added it only at the very end to warm them up in the soup.

The recipe also calls for Baharat spice mix, which I don't believe I've ever had (at least knowingly). I made that too, since the many spices are ones I typically have on the shelf . Never had that before and it was really nice and different. We topped off our bowls with a dab of harissa at the table. Excellent use of post Thanksgiving  material.

• Like 4

This morning's soup project:

I make this soup maybe three times a year in a large batch and freeze most of it. 

It is a pot barley, black bean, kale and/or collards (other greens can be used), carrot, onion, chard stem, sweet and hot peppers, onion, garlic and herb soup. This particular batch is tomato based (so is vegan) however variants start with beef shanks for a beef barley soup or lamb shanks or shoulder for a lamb barley soup. Other vegetables that work well are peeled broccoli stems, parsnips, potatoes.....

DSCN1440.thumb.JPG.8d830cefa0ef89a36505528d7402df04.JPG

• Like 8

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Like @Katie Meadow, I made soup with our turkey carcass, in my case, it was the crown only. I diced up the meat I picked off the frame. Sauteed mushrooms with shallot, deglazed with a splash of white wine, added the stock and simmered some some barley and carrot until tender. Very tasty, the stock has reduced a bit from multiple cookings and the mushrooms add so much extra meaty flavor/umami.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm going to concoct today. For the first time, I have a smoked turkey carcass to use. I've got some white beans soaking. I have some chard and kale, I think. I've got sweet potatoes. Not sure if all that works and I can't figure out spices/herbs to season it. All thoughts welcome.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

45 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I'm going to concoct today. For the first time, I have a smoked turkey carcass to use. I've got some white beans soaking. I have some chard and kale, I think. I've got sweet potatoes. Not sure if all that works and I can't figure out spices/herbs to season it. All thoughts welcome.

I would leave out the sweet potatoes, but I'm not a fan of them and that could be my bias showing. With the other ingredients you list, I'd consider paprika, sage, bay, maybe something to give it a bit of spicy heat (hot paprika?). Or...I wonder if you could take it in a curry direction, with some turmeric and cumin?? That is just a wild idea to get you going.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I too would leave out the sweet potatoes. I like them but they tend to turn to mush quickly in soup.

One of my favorite flavorings with white beans is Herbs de Provence. With that I would add some tomatoes.

Please let us know what you choose and how it turns out.

• Like 5

I agree no sweet potatoes cuz of mush facttor. I don't think you need mire than the beans and greens, plus lots o black pepper. With the great smoked turkey I also think bacon is overkill. Its a simple hearty peasant soup - comfort. Too much stuff can muddle flavors.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

This soup is right at the top of my favorites!

An example of a recipe that's more than the sum of its parts.

It really is an excellent soup.

A few simple ingredients and Bob's your uncle.

I love that soup. I don't really follow the recipe, but I play off the idea often. Can't go wrong with sausage and kale in soup, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

2 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

That sounds really good. It kind of reminds me of Mollie Katzen's Gypsy Soup where she recommends pairing any orange vegetable with green and a bean.  Bucking the trend here, I am pro-sweet potato, which is what Mollie uses. I would definitely add onion and celery to the stock.  Up to you whether you want them in the soup, too. 

I agree with @Tropicalsenior on the addition of tomatoes and @Smithy on the sage and/or bay and the addition of a little heat.  I usually throw in a few de arbol chiles but you could also serve with a spicy condiment instead. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Sounds good but in our household peppers or anything spicy are just not an option. Too many serious food allergies.

Of, course, that’s why I suggested a condiment as it could be added to taste but perhaps that is too risky. I understand you can’t have any alliums in the house either, but I suggested onions for others who don’t have those particular life threatening allergies. My bad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

No, I apologize. I tend to forget I'm not the only one reading the post. It's a great suggestion and perfectly logical for everyone else. Thank you.

No apology needed - we all learn from the ways other members adapt to different circumstances!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the soup I made for Thanksgiving. It's Tom Colicchio's root vegetable soup and I make it pretty much every year. It has butternut squash, carrot, parsnip, fennel, leek, onions, garlic and green apples. Green apple and duck prosciutto garnish (added post-picture). I also added a slice of Japanese purple sweet potato bread from a local bakery that I like.

Root vegetable soup (Tom Coliccio)

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Here is the soup I made for Thanksgiving. It's Tom Colicchio's root vegetable soup and I make it pretty much every year. It has butternut squash, carrot, parsnip, fennel, leek, onions, garlic and green apples. Green apple and duck prosciutto garnish (added post-picture). I also added a slice of Japanese purple sweet potato bread from a local bakery that I like.

Root vegetable soup (Tom Coliccio)

Looks delicious.  Does anyone know if the recipe available on-line?

• Like 1

Gingery cauliflower soup, from Madhur Jaffrey's 'Quick and Easy Indian Cooking'. This is a long-time favorite.

Karahi_gobi_202312-1.thumb.jpg.fc194d195155a05b233ebc27086e3309.jpg

Stir fry onion, ginger, and garlic, and then add ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne. Mix in cauliflower florets, peeled and cubed red potato, and the last of Mrs. C's turkey stock. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, blend, and then finish with heavy cream.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1